New to type 1

Char1994

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi I have been diagnosed with type 1 a week ago, my problem is my vision. Every so often it keep going blurry and when I wake up it is very blurry then it adjusts. I've been told I can't have my eyes tested for 6 weeks. Do you eyes adjust with in 6 weeks and does this blurryness stop? Thank you

Reactions: himtoo

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
hi I have been diagnosed with type 1 a week ago, my problem is my vision. Every so often it keep going blurry and when I wake up it is very blurry then it adjusts. I've been told I can't have my eyes tested for 6 weeks. Do you eyes adjust with in 6 weeks and does this blurryness stop? Thank you

Yep! It (normally) takes a few weeks to get your blood glucose under control but when you do, you should find that your eyesight returns to normal.

Welcome to the forums @Char1994

Char1994

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yep! It (normally) takes a few weeks to get your blood glucose under control but when you do, you should find that your eyesight returns to normal.

Welcome to the forums @Char1994

Thank you. That has made me feel better. They have just been on and off blurry and was worried this is how it gonna be but like you said they will return to normal soon.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Char1994
when you are first diagnosed your blood sugars will have been very high.

as they come down to normal sometimes the eyes can take a while to get used to the reduction in blood sugars.
do keep in touch with your care team if you feel they are not responding as you want.

6-8 weeks is pretty normal though.

all the best !!

Reactions: Char1994

Char1994

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Char1994
when you are first diagnosed your blood sugars will have been very high.

as they come down to normal sometimes the eyes can take a while to get used to the reduction in blood sugars.
do keep in touch with your care team if you feel they are not responding as you want.

6-8 weeks is pretty normal though.

all the best !!

Thank you :) I know this is normal then.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, it's normal but I was lucky and they came back with a week or two, although I wouldn't advise any testing until you are confident they have settled

Jpen95

Yeah it is completely normal as your body has been custom to operating on high blood sugars, I take it you have been undiagnosed for a while, and so as your sugars drop and become controlled your eyes will adjust. You may also find that other things like skin, weight and hair quality and growth start improving as you get healthier and more controlled! Type 1 diabetic diagnosed a year ago speaking from personal experience x

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Hi and welcome, as already said its all normal and will go :)