Cravings?

skal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just wondering, when did you all get hit with the first carb cravings when you started low carbing?

In the past, mine have started as soon as I've chucked the carbs. This time I haven't had anything by the end of day 2. Maybe my liver is full of glucagon...

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It is different for everyone but for me the first couple days is the worst for cravings.

skal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's the part I hate, cravings. .. I have no will power so they are hard to deal with. But today is day 3 and I'm doing OK. Still no cravings yet.

skal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
only done this one day and I'm craving toast soooooo bad
Keep going, you can do it! Once you get a hang of all this, there are low carb baking recipes which will enable you to have toast again.

SisterMary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm going to bake some Challah bread which is whole meal made with honey and eggs Rather than sugar tonight when I get home from work so piece of toast tomorrow with my eggs hopefully (it's a slow prove bread) I'm not gonna give in to cravings I'm to scared lol

skal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just remember both wholemeal flour and honey are both high carb ingrediets. Most people on a low carb plan avoid both completely and use coconut flour, soya flour and gluten for baking as well as ground almonds and various seeds.

charlie_farley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What worked for me was going on quite a harsh diet first after a week on it I found Low Carb a bit of a luxury( Lose a stone in a week) Google it. Good luck

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to bake some Challah bread which is whole meal made with honey and eggs Rather than sugar tonight when I get home from work so piece of toast tomorrow with my eggs hopefully (it's a slow prove bread) I'm not gonna give in to cravings I'm to scared lol
I really wouldn't... just try to overcome the urge and it will soon go. That will be just as carby as regular bread so not good for you at all.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oooh ok I thought wholewheat was good?
All carbohydrates will have an impact on your blood sugar levels as they all convert to glucose once eaten. It's far better to avoid eating carbohydrates as much as possible. If your daily allowance comes from green veg, salad etc then you will do better than eating any grains , rice, pasta - wholemeal or regular.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you're a craving sort of person you can get attached to something else instead that won't harm you. I look forward to steamed green veg with butter and salt (eaten fast before it goes cold). The old me would think I'm barmy but the new me says 10/10.
The other thing is I still love the smell of fresh toast etc but have no craving. Besides, Lidl comes to the rescue in that area with half a high-protein roll.
Best of luck.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fab thanks for the info I shall persevere with out it then .

Well done, Mary.

If you have a Lidl close by, they do a High Protein Roll, which looks a but off, but is much lower carb that regular bread and extremely filling. The look very dark, like dark rye bread, with seeds on top and are a triangle shape.

Not everyone likes them (and I'm not overly fussed by them), but some call them life savers.

skal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love the Lidl rolls but am steering clear for the time being. Another good one is oopsie bread, which isn't really a bread but lovely nonetheless warm with butter.
I also used to make a courgette bread with soya flour and gluten and seeds but I need to find the recipe... it was quite nice and the gluten gave it a nice proper bread like consistency.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My carb cravings always hit 24 hrs after i ate too many carbs.
- it is like drug withdrawal.

Or, I get massive carb cravings if I hypo.

The solution to the withdrawal symptoms is to eat fat not carbs. I have never known a carb craving that survive a good chunk of mature cheddar, or a big spoonful of peanut butter, or a fat bomb, or a low carb hot chocolate, or a main meal of protein, veg and mayo/butter/cheese. I often get repeat cravings, for a few days, but they get lighter as the days pass. Usually gone by day 4 or 5.

The hypo cravings need a small amount of carbs, followed by any of the craving killers listed above.

It took a lomg time to work this out, using untold mistakes, carb gluts, near coma over compensations and hypo rages (and no, I'm not exaggerating :) ) so hopefully I can save you the same kind of time wasting! You just need to learn your physical symptoms for carb cravings (mine: hamsters scrabbling the inside of my ribs) and real hunger (mine: feeling empty, interested in food, but not obsessed, distracted, or craving), and then eat accordingly.

Hope that made sense! :)

Reactions: Larissima

skal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My carb cravings always hit 24 hrs after i ate too many carbs.
- it is like drug withdrawal.

Or, I get massive carb cravings if I hypo.

The solution to the withdrawal symptoms is to eat fat not carbs. I have never known a carb craving that survive a good chunk of mature cheddar, or a big spoonful of peanut butter, or a fat bomb, or a low carb hot chocolate, or a main meal of protein, veg and mayo/butter/cheese. I often get repeat cravings, for a few days, but they get lighter as the days pass. Usually gone by day 4 or 5.

The hypo cravings need a small amount of carbs, followed by any of the craving killers listed above.

It took a lomg time to work this out, using untold mistakes, carb gluts, near coma over compensations and hypo rages (and no, I'm not exaggerating :) ) so hopefully I can save you the same kind of time wasting! You just need to learn your physical symptoms for carb cravings (mine: hamsters scrabbling the inside of my ribs) and real hunger (mine: feeling empty, interested in food, but not obsessed, distracted, or craving), and then eat accordingly.

Hope that made sense! :)

I beat my cravings today with 8 pecans. And for pudding I had 50 g blueberries and 60 g raspberries with clotted cream so feel all yummed out.

But, what are these fat bombs you talked about?

Reactions: Brunneria