Didn't expel air! How much insulin have I done?

Hollye777

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys, I just changed my insulin cartridge over (novo rapid pen, the non-disposable type) and did my insulin before expelling the air!!! Obviously the dose went in far quicker than usual and I think it means I've missed a good few units.

Does anyone know how many units I probably missed? I was trying to do 8.

My blood sugars have already been random and mental today and the last thing I needed was to do the incorrect dose

Reactions: himtoo

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
All you can do is test and correct if need be, but I'd give it while yet to allow your insulin to work.

Hollye777

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think there is anyway of knowing. My girl uses Novorapid cartridges and when we put a new one in, sometimes it can take a dial up of 3 units for it to start spitting insulin out, sometimes it can be 10, so it is anyone's guess.

Keep testing, that's all you can do.
Thank you so much for replying! I feared that would be the case. I usually expel 15 when I've changed the cartridge, knowing it's more than enough but always to be on the safe side.... Gahhh I'm so silly. I know at least some went in.

Hollye777

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All you can do is test and correct if need be, but I'd give it while yet to allow your insulin to work.
Thank you, I think that's pretty good advice! Such a bad day to do it - I've had inexplicable highs and lows today already. I guess I'll leave it an hour or two :/

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
Don't feel too hard on yourself we all make mistakes. I have done that one.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hey @Hollye777
welcome to the forum.:)
you picked a great topic to start with :D

a new cartridge for me has always been between 8 - 11 units of air before getting insulin.

as advised above -- just keep testing and correct if going high :)

Hollye777

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @Hollye777
welcome to the forum.:)
you picked a great topic to start with :D

a new cartridge for me has always been between 8 - 11 units of air before getting insulin.

as advised above -- just keep testing and correct if going high :)
Yep I know, I like to make an entrance!!!!!

That's really helpful to know, thanks so much. And everyone's definitely given the right advice. I just dread doing late night insulin if I do need to correct (which I almost def will need to) as I've been known for many a nighttime hypo including a really awful fit once. Oh well - think I'll go and test it now!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
sorry for being a nightmare responder on your first topic :D

a big entrance is a must :)

must admit -- tonight not going to be a great sleep night for ya

set a couple of alarms and correct as you see fit -- we are all different in how we treat highs at night !!!!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you do have to do a nighttime correction, aim for a higher target number than you would during the day. That's what I do because I'm anxious about late night corrections too.

I also set an alarm to get up and test to see how things are.

Hollye777

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you do have to do a nighttime correction, aim for a higher target number than you would during the day. That's what I do because I'm anxious about late night corrections too.

I also set an alarm to get up and test to see how things are.
Correction done, alarms set :) obviously, it would be on a night where I've been thinking of nothing but getting to sleep for the entire day!

Reactions: azure

Hollye777

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
sorry for being a nightmare responder on your first topic :D

a big entrance is a must :)

must admit -- tonight not going to be a great sleep night for ya

set a couple of alarms and correct as you see fit -- we are all different in how we treat highs at night !!!!
20 - eek! There goes the sleep I've been looking forward to for this entire day!

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
alarm for 2am ?? shall I serenade you with "last night I didn't get to sleep at all ?? " :)

Hollye777

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How did it go overnight @Hollye777 ?
So I was 20 before I went to bed D: so decided to do 3 units... Set alarm for 3am and slept right through it! Was evidently knackered ha. But this morning - 4.1 :) so hopefully this day will bring much better results....!

Thanks so much for your support :)

Reactions: himtoo and azure

linda321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did the same yesterday! My blood sugars were higher than normal yesterday. I corrected with 2 units last night and woke this morning at 5.2. Oh well! Today is another day. Good luck @Hollye777 for today.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I normally expel only 1 unit with a new cartridge and even that is quite a spirt.

Hollye777

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did the same yesterday! My blood sugars were higher than normal yesterday. I corrected with 2 units last night and woke this morning at 5.2. Oh well! Today is another day. Good luck @Hollye777 for today.
Good luck to you too Linda :) I guess more times than not doing a correction dose is the right thing to do, I've just gone wrong with it so many times I get scared! Oh well, here's to the start of another week! :)