Omnipod??

Chloe_robbo02

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been a type 1 diabetic for 12 years nearly ,I'm insulin dependant and have injections .

My nurse was round the other week and recommended the omnipod to me because I don't want the pump due to having to have an operation to have the tube fitted ,I would just like to ask what everyone's thought are on the omnipod and if it's a good decision??

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You don't have an operation to have a tube fitted for any pump @Chloe_robbo02

If you are interested in pumps, I would recommend having a little search on YouTube - there are loads of videos of people setting pumps up - it might give you a better idea of what is involved.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I have an omnipod. Did your DSN mention if they have a trial pod for you to see if you can get on with it ok?

You have the pod stuck on 24/7 so, before you start with it and commit to it you should be given a pod or two to fill with saline and see if you manage a pod change ok and manage you daily life with a pod attached.

Reactions: noblehead

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The Omnipod is a great little pump, it a tubeless pump and has an automated cannula insertion.

To further your knowledge about pumps have a look at some video's on YouTube as @catapillar has suggested, there's some really good vids on the Omnipod Pump but some are a few years old now and feature the older Pods which were slightly bigger than the ones used now.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
File_001.jpeg

Hi @Chloe_robbo02 - I really wanted an Omnipod but have got an Insight pump instead, because that's what was recommended for me by my team.

I'm not trying to sway you away from the Omnipod, but just for info this is what it's like having a tubed pump. I find it really, really straightforward. The cannula (the end of the tube that is on your skin) is just like a plaster. You can unclip the tube from the cannula to shower and swim.

Enjoy your pump research - there are lots of options out there! As far as pumping in general is concerned - any pump - I feel much, much more free away from MDI.

Happy pumping!

:)

PS Sorry for showing so much flesh.....

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No operation required!

I thought about the omnipod as well, but when i met with Omnipod and was actually given the trial pod to wear i felt it was just too big for me personally, i was never comfortable, and i couldn't easily hid it like other pumps with tubes. I ended up going with a Vibe and am so happy. Its just something in my pocket all day, or clipped on my belt, rather then a weird bulge under my shirt or pants :/

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thankyou everyone for all the information xx

Let us know which one you choose. If you get the chance to handle some pumps, that's great too, but even reading about them and watching videos online will help a lot.

I have a Vibe and there's most definitely no need for any operation whatsoever. It just has a cannula you put in your skin (like the Omnipod and other pumps) and can take out easily :) You change the cannula every two,or three days yourself at home. You can see videos of that online too.