Type 1: Sore finger tips - not taking insulin

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am only testing 2 times a day at the moment. My fingertips are actually bruised. I don't know how you guys that have been testing for years do it. Quite frankly I'm worn out from the whole process of it all. I don't seem to have any care left for trying. I do have ptsd so I'm sure at times this doesn't help. I'm eating chocolate and dropped my insulin right down. I'm having a holiday. It seems you just can't win anyway. To high is bad long term trying your best you have lows which I can't cope with at all. I'd rather be high i think. I don't know... I'm a bit low inside at the moment. Worn out. Today I lay on the couch watching movie after movie eating ****. And so glad not to doing anything diabetes related... I think the fight to keep things right has disappeared and I'm not quite sure I can get it back or care too. Sorry. Very negative isn't it... it's pretty lonely being in a fight with your own self... you can't really run away from it either. "Shrugs shoulders"

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't let the diabetes win @nessa1970 ! We all know how hard it can be some days, so take comfort that you're not alone.

Do your team have any psychological help you can access? Many teams do.

As for the fingers - use a good adjustable pricker, set to the lowest level at which you can get blood, hold it against the finger and don't press it in, use the sides of your fingers and move from finger to finger so each can have a break.

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have weekly councilling so I'm very fortunate.. I will try to wake up tomorrow with a better attitude. My pricker is on 2. The hospital ones don't hurt. I jump and grit my teeth each time I do it. Obviously doing something wrong. It's so sore. Then sometimes I have to prick upto 5 times to get blood. My first gers need a break. And thumbs. Thanks for responding. I appreciate it.

Reactions: azure

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey Nessa - big hug hun don't let the diabetes win.

I second the advice about using the sides of your fingers, don't use your forefinger but try rotating around the other 3 and thumb it's less sensitive. Tomorrow is a new day, get a good night's sleep and start a fresh tomorrow, and yes you can eat chocolate !!

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @nessa1970

As others have already said, if you switch to the sides of your fingers, it is a less painful area as there are less nerve endings. Also if you ensure your hands are warm before you test, this will help the flow.

If you find a finger struggles to supply, leave it alone for a week before you try it again. Trial and error has taught me not to use either thumbs or smallest finger - they don't bleed for me! As I need to test up to 10 times a day (I drive a lot) and am usually on-the-go for 18-19hrs each day, my fingers do see some use.

Keep your hands well moisturised; I use Diprobase ointment from the chemist - it's cheap but very effective and non-greasy, if you get some cotton gloves from the like of Wilko; they are cheap there and last well. The gloves help your skin absorb the ointment. I have both gloves and ankle socks, as the skin on my feet becomes dry otherwise.

Use your pricker on the lowest setting you can draw blood. If you follow the above tips, you will find a lowish setting works well, and will quickly learn where works and where doesn't.

Shout up to us again if you are struggling - we've all been there, and knowledge is best when shared!

Reactions: BeccyB

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @nessa1970

As others have already said, if you switch to the sides of your fingers, it is a less painful area as there are less nerve endings. Also if you ensure your hands are warm before you test, this will help the flow.

If you find a finger struggles to supply, leave it alone for a week before you try it again. Trial and error has taught me not to use either thumbs or smallest finger - they don't bleed for me! As I need to test up to 10 times a day (I drive a lot) and am usually on-the-go for 18-19hrs each day, my fingers do see some use.

Keep your hands well moisturised; I use Diprobase ointment from the chemist - it's cheap but very effective and non-greasy, if you get some cotton gloves from the like of Wilko; they are cheap there and last well. The gloves help your skin absorb the ointment. I have both gloves and ankle socks, as the skin on my feet becomes dry otherwise.

Use your pricker on the lowest setting you can draw blood. If you follow the above tips, you will find a lowish setting works well, and will quickly learn where works and where doesn't.

Shout up to us again if you are struggling - we've all been there, and knowledge is best when shared!
Thank you very much. I will definitely do all of that when I get my head back into helping myself. I'm having a diabreak lol....

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Nessa - big hug hun don't let the diabetes win.

I second the advice about using the sides of your fingers, don't use your forefinger but try rotating around the other 3 and thumb it's less sensitive. Tomorrow is a new day, get a good night's sleep and start a fresh tomorrow, and yes you can eat chocolate !!
Cheers very much. I will definitely take on the advice and apply it. Lucky re the chocolate I crave it terribly I use never eat that stuff till this came along... thanks again

orac1952

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
stupid people, bad manners,
Hi Nessa try warming your hands in warm water before you prick your finger see if that helps.

Reactions: Struma

claire mccann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi nessa, sorry to hear you are finding it all challenging. Make sure to change the lancets regularly in your finger picker. Also, I get why it all seems too much but keep taking your insulin as I'm sure you will feel worse with high blood sugars than low blood sugars! Look after yourself-your health is your wealth so you deserve it to yourself to take time to sort you.

Reactions: azure

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @nessa1970 - sorry to hear you're having a rough time. As the others have said please look after yourself. Do you like dark chocolate as it has much less carb? Take care

malowe200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am only testing 2 times a day at the moment. My fingertips are actually bruised. I don't know how you guys that have been testing for years do it. Quite frankly I'm worn out from the whole process of it all. I don't seem to have any care left for trying. I do have ptsd so I'm sure at times this doesn't help. I'm eating chocolate and dropped my insulin right down. I'm having a holiday. It seems you just can't win anyway. To high is bad long term trying your best you have lows which I can't cope with at all. I'd rather be high i think. I don't know... I'm a bit low inside at the moment. Worn out. Today I lay on the couch watching movie after movie eating ****. And so glad not to doing anything diabetes related... I think the fight to keep things right has disappeared and I'm not quite sure I can get it back or care too. Sorry. Very negative isn't it... it's pretty lonely being in a fight with your own self... you can't really run away from it either. "Shrugs shoulders"
Hi, try testing the heal of your palm. Clench a fist till the palm below the tip of your little finger when clenched becomes engorged with blood. This area is relatively painless- it will do the trick- no more sore fingers. No stress.

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
As others have said

1.Use finger pricker on lowest setting and work your way up to what is comfortable for you.

2. Obviously you will be washing your hands before each test so let your hands/ fingers remain under warm running water to aid blood flow.

3. You could also shake your hands to get the blood flowing to your finger tips, this for me really helps if I'm out and about and cannot wash my hands so I use baby wipes or such like.

Regards

Martin

taminca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there im in the same situ at the moment. Diabetic depression....or burn out. Ive been diabetic for 28yrs now an i still havnt gained control. Worst of all .... im now finally accepting i need help but the diabetic team arent there to support me. I am going to my own gp however i think its bad wen your reaching out for support its not there. I have given up ... missing injections....not carb counting...just guesing how much insulin i need.....not testing blood etc. So your not yourself in this .... hope you get the right answers you need to help you on this tough journey. Xx

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there im in the same situ at the moment. Diabetic depression....or burn out. Ive been diabetic for 28yrs now an i still havnt gained control. Worst of all .... im now finally accepting i need help but the diabetic team arent there to support me. I am going to my own gp however i think its bad wen your reaching out for support its not there. I have given up ... missing injections....not carb counting...just guesing how much insulin i need.....not testing blood etc. So your not yourself in this .... hope you get the right answers you need to help you on this tough journey. Xx
Whow 28 years.. I'm 4 months type 1 was year and a half type 2 till they did gad test etc. I haven't had my insulin for 4 days. I check blood in morning and it's only 11.6 which I was getting those readings on 9 lantus night n morning and novorapid with food an corrections. I'm a bit thirsty not too bad tho and actually I'm feeling ok considering. I'm guessing I still have some insulin I produce. Tho bloods to go to 28 at night. At the moment and it is silly but I just don't care I'm taking a break. So I totally understand how you must feel and after 28 years it must be really hard. Cause I'm down over losing the good bs readings I had for 4 weeks then boom. I'll care again I'm sure. I will try all tips re bs testing tho because that really gets me down. I hope you feel better soon. I hope I do too.

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What lancing device do you have? Some are better than others it might be worth asking your DSN if they have another brand you can try

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Whow 28 years.. I'm 4 months type 1 was year and a half type 2 till they did gad test etc. I haven't had my insulin for 4 days. I check blood in morning and it's only 11.6 which I was getting those readings on 9 lantus night n morning and novorapid with food an corrections. I'm a bit thirsty not too bad tho and actually I'm feeling ok considering. I'm guessing I still have some insulin I produce. Tho bloods to go to 28 at night. At the moment and it is silly but I just don't care I'm taking a break. So I totally understand how you must feel and after 28 years it must be really hard. Cause I'm down over losing the good bs readings I had for 4 weeks then boom. I'll care again I'm sure. I will try all tips re bs testing tho because that really gets me down. I hope you feel better soon. I hope I do too.

@nessa1970 Is there anything that triggered this? You were doing really well :) Don't let a few ****** readings put you off. If you can identify exactly what's making you so fed up, people here might have suggestions. I know Type 1 is wearing, but you can't give in to it.

Have you spoken to your DSN and asked for some input? Does your doctor know how down you are about things?

Please take your insulin. Readings of 28 are bad. Apart from the risk of developing long term complications, you could get short term horribleness like a UTI, and you're at risk of DKA.

Don't let Type 1 take your drive and your happiness. Control it and then you can beat it back down to where it belongs.

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@nessa1970 Is there anything that triggered this? You were doing really well :) Don't let a few ****** readings put you off. If you can identify exactly what's making you so fed up, people here might have suggestions. I know Type 1 is wearing, but you can't give in to it.

Have you spoken to your DSN and asked for some input? Does your doctor know how down you are about things?

Please take your insulin. Readings of 28 are bad. Apart from the risk of developing long term complications, you could get short term horribleness like a UTI, and you're at risk of DKA.

Don't let Type 1 take your drive and your happiness. Control it and then you can beat it back down to where it belongs.
Hi azure. Yes I understand what your saying. My ketones are fine I have been checking. I feel fine too . I'm not sure why but I just had enough. I was trying so hard and putting everything into it even letting a 9kg weight gain go by the slide. Sore fingers bs that just weren't playing the game and also hypos. I no I have to take the insulin again. Just right now I'm having a break. They'll come a time I can't from what I've read on here and online that people with type 1 get this dka within 24 hours of not taking insulin. I'm on day 5 tomorrow and I'm fine. I'm not over thirsty just a little and I'm not going to the toilet heaps a bit more but not bad and my sight is fine. I can allready feel my fingers healing and I almost feel normal. It's really nice. I have been bit down things going on in life as they do. But I wouldn't say I am atall overly low. I will get back on the bandwagon I promise an I'll be re-energized to combat it all again with all I have. It really can take a toll this illness. I have so much admiration for you all that have been doing it for so long. Thank you for replying and caring and the support. This site is valuable.

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What lancing device do you have? Some are better than others it might be worth asking your DSN if they have another brand you can try
I have 4 different ones carelance, accu-chek multiclix, abbot freestyle is some of them. I think it must be me. I did have them on 3 as blood came but it's sore so it's on one now

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have 4 different ones carelance, accu-chek multiclix, abbot freestyle is some of them. I think it must be me. I did have them on 3 as blood came but it's sore so it's on one now
Ah maybe you just have sensitive nerves, have you considered a freestyle libre?

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah maybe you just have sensitive nerves, have you considered a freestyle libre?
I'll have to check if we that available in new Zealand I will find out Monday and if yes will get a script for one. We're pretty lucky here I get it all free an the test blood things so if we have that one funded I'll be able to get it. Thank you