Good Sugar Bad Sugar

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm really rough and ready with my calculations.

For instance, we get veg at tescos or lidls, mainly.
If it is sugarsnaps this evening, i will calc the little bag is 150 g, with 4.8g carb/ hundred, so if I'm eating the whole bag, then thats 7-8 g.
Then i would probably have a small to med head of broccoli too. Anywhere from 2-300g, so approx 5 g carbs there...
That's a heck of a lot of veg on the plate. More than most people can face :D so i jazz it up with spiced oil drizzles, or grated cheese, or a squirt of mayo...

Since I rarely eat breakfast or lunch nowadays, that will probably be all my carbs that day, plus maybe 4g in my coffee substitute, and a small portion of berries (just an ounce or two) - say 5 g there. Or a couple squares v dark choc - again 5 g carbs.

So if i have room for pud as well thats a whopping 21-22 g for the day ;)

But the reality is that i find the carbs in greenery are 'free' with nil bg impact, so i just guess in a haphazard manner.

On the other hand, i have to be very careful with grains, sweet fruit, sauces, root veg, etc... (Although reheated potato is fairly OK), so i try to avoid them, or keep them minimal. So in reality i would usually go without rather than count...

Last edited:

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I do much the same as brunneria as far as the veg goes. I don't count obsessively unless it is a new food. I just keep kind of a running tab in my head. The one place I need to be careful is nuts, it is way easy to go overboard on those.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
I did it very simply; cut out bread, pasta, rice and spuds, anything with any kind of added sugar, veg that grows below ground (apart from garlic) and increased the fats I like. Fat on meat, olive oil, coconut oil, cheese, cream, full-fat yogurt, nuts, avocado. I don't eat any fat I don't like and I don't force myself to eat it if I can't face it. I know whenI've had enough fat.

My blood sugars are largely under control and I've lost nearly two stone since diagnosis.

I'm eating fewer calories than I used to because I feel fuller. Find the fats you enjoy eating and don't force yourself to eat the ones you don't like.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never weighed anything but just avoid anything that is carby.. green veg only, salad leaves, small tomato portion, avocado all with a nice fatty dressing. Then its meat or fish. Few raspberries and cream or yoghurt for dessert with maybe a scoop of Oppo. The current 3 day eating 4 day fasting is ok but i'm going to try one day alternating of each next week with one meal per day and see how that goes. Fortified coffee every day and I have just tried and loved homemade chicken broth with butter stirred into it... knocks those hunger pangs on the head..

Reactions: Petrel and chalup

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I never thought of putting butter in chicken broth. Sounds delicious.

Hotpepper20000

I never thought of putting butter in chicken broth. Sounds delicious.
It sure does. Some evenings when I'm tired and don't want to cook I just warm up some broth and crack a egg in it. If I stir it, it makes ribbons almost like noodles.
Nice and filling.

Reactions: chalup

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It sure does. Some evenings when I'm tired and don't want to cook I just warm up some broth and crack a egg in it. If I stir it, it makes ribbons almost like noodles.
Nice and filling.
Also a good idea, TY I will have to try this.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I had a good look at my food diary, seems I was being slightly ungenerous to myself. I have an apple every day, there's 14 and toast as a treat at weekends so another 40. So, for 5 days a weeks I'm much closer to 40 gms ish and weekends 80 gms ish and all less than 100 gms. LOL

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
I tried my first Bulletproof coffee this morning. I loved it so much I'm going to start making them at home. I won't bother with buying the Brain Oil though as I have a jar of lovely coconut oil at home.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some of us even need to practice intermittent fasting to get the carbs low enough.

I think this is the key to accelerate weight loss. if weightloss is the goal...it makes sense to achieven and maintain ketosis. I have been consistently been hovering around 6 mmol for the past year on eggs/roast pork belly and my weight stays fairly constant around 74kg +/- 2kg. So fpr me to stay in ketosis, that probably means glucose level of 5mmol or lower...is needed.

kazzers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not feeling healthy and in tip top condition
Thank you to everyone for the information and tips. I feel more positive now :)