Type 2 Food and Alcohol

andyfh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A bit different to mine, but looks good. :)

Mine was:

150g dessicated coconut (unsweetened)
4 tbsp honey
6 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla essence

1 bar of 85% + dark chocolate

Mix all except the chocolate and pack into a dish that's lined with greaseproof paper. I made mine about 2cm x 2cm x 5cm, You can make them any size or shape you want I suppose, but the larger they are, the more carbs per bar, obviously.

Put in fridge to harden for an hour then take them out and cut into the shape/size you want. Pop back in the fridge to harden again for 30 minutes or so.

Melt your chocolate and pour it over the coconut bars (I left mine on the greaseproof for this) - then try really hard to wait for it to set before eating.

Mine come in at about 0.6g carbs per bar according to the recipe.

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Regarding exercise. My research found that exercise is good for you for a number of reasons and should be undertaken BUT when it comes to weight loss then the loss is negligible. Therefore if you don't enjoy it or can't do it regularly then it PROBABLY won't be helpful?

Reactions: Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
every excercise is helpful, and if you can do nothing else long walks are very essential for diabetics

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree about the long walks but how do you know if weight has been lost by walking? If you are eating a reduced amount of carbs/fat/protein then that will probably be the reason for the weight loss. I have two books in the house written by reputable authors who claim that any weight loss by exercising would next to zero.

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not a gym man so walking is what I'm doing I mostly enjoy it just a shame about the time of year it's chilly out

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think a little bit of everything helps I use the walking as a stress reliever clears my head and I can't be tempted to eat bad things

markastin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've started walking 6km 4 times a week and use mapmywalk for inspiration and it's working I will speak to someone about diet I think that's the hardest for me I love food I'm a keen cook and baker and struggling to make anything taste nice without cream butter sugar and carbs haha roasted veg and steamed fish is the best so far, as for keeping positive I'm trying and messages like yours help an awful lot so thank you very much
If you cook and like cooking, experiment with different flavours and meats some of the spices you buy actually help with bs management! All meat is free of carbs but consider proteins and fats which can make carb digestion slower, that will probs help ur bs management! I am type 1 but we all need to learn the same things! Nuts and white meat can actually help bs be more stable and high fat can cause spikes a lot later than expected if mixed with carbs

paganlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
nhs. religion for the sake of it.
Check out the low carb forum. Unwill find that u can eat butter, and cheese and cream. I have lost 1 1/2 stone since July this yr 2016.
Andvi nevercate butter or cream or cheese before and I was 12.3 stone. Imhavevfound cauliflower to be my most useful friend. U can make all sorts with it. I avoid all bread, rice, pasta, white potatoes and sugar. It's been 3 months since diagnosis. I find it hard sometimes but getting there. Best advice I was given on this site is get yourself a bg monitor. Good luck. Think positive.

gmw47

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Type 2, diagnosed over a year ago.
My diabetes nurse told me that the alcohol rules for diabetics are the same as for non-diabetics. i. e. don't go mad.
My own advice would be to test, test and test again at different times and with different drinks. Everyone is different.
You won't damage yourself finding out - but DO find out.
I still drink lager (a no no for some folks) and red wine, and play golf three times a week. I'm on one Metformin tablet per day. I started at 15 stone 9 lbs and am now 14 stone 7 lbs (6ft 2ins tall).
So, as an earlier reply said, don't believe all the doom and gloom, experiment a bit.
Food? Smaller portions in general. Personally, I still eat pasta, white basmati rice, Hovis wholemeal bread, spuds, including a few chips but less than before.
I can't remember the last time I had a reading above 8.5 (the top end target for 2 hours after a meal).
Sorry this turned out to be so long.
Good luck.

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Type 2, diagnosed over a year ago.
My diabetes nurse told me that the alcohol rules for diabetics are the same as for non-diabetics. i. e. don't go mad.
My own advice would be to test, test and test again at different times and with different drinks. Everyone is different.
You won't damage yourself finding out - but DO find out.
I still drink lager (a no no for some folks) and red wine, and play golf three times a week. I'm on one Metformin tablet per day. I started at 15 stone 9 lbs and am now 14 stone 7 lbs (6ft 2ins tall).
So, as an earlier reply said, don't believe all the doom and gloom, experiment a bit.
Food? Smaller portions in general. Personally, I still eat pasta, white basmati rice, Hovis wholemeal bread, spuds, including a few chips but less than before.
I can't remember the last time I had a reading above 8.5 (the top end target for 2 hours after a meal).
Sorry this turned out to be so long.
Good luck.

This all sounds great but like you said everyone is different in glad this works for you , I haven't got a test kit yet but I may look into that I have cut bread potatoes rice and pasta completely it's tough I'm eating meat and veg or fish and veg and a tuna or chicken salad also 3 pieces of fruit day!! Oh and no extra sugar I did have 2 glasses of merlot last night tho I'm continuing this till my next blood test in December just to see if levels have dropped, I've just started taking 2x 500mg metformin a day everything feels ok and I'm losing weight I can feel it but not weighed myself yet thanks for your message it's encouraging

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This all sounds great but like you said everyone is different in glad this works for you , I haven't got a test kit yet but I may look into that I have cut bread potatoes rice and pasta completely it's tough I'm eating meat and veg or fish and veg and a tuna or chicken salad also 3 pieces of fruit day!! Oh and no extra sugar I did have 2 glasses of merlot last night tho I'm continuing this till my next blood test in December just to see if levels have dropped, I've just started taking 2x 500mg metformin a day everything feels ok and I'm losing weight I can feel it but not weighed myself yet thanks for your message it's encouraging

well I don´t know but do the calories from alcohol count like carbs or like fats ?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree about the long walks but how do you know if weight has been lost by walking? If you are eating a reduced amount of carbs/fat/protein then that will probably be the reason for the weight loss. I have two books in the house written by reputable authors who claim that any weight loss by exercising would next to zero.

the excercise is important to get fit again and to keep fit... how you Loose your weight is not important as long as it is in a healthy way..... being diabetic type 2 you have problems storing glucose in muscles , the only way you can help that is by doing excercise (creating again slowly the abillity to store glucose in muscles) and to some extent by lowering your isuline by fasting...

I used to try to Loose weight by training, it never worked for me.... now I do both training hard training and am on a low calorie diet...
This has made me able to really loose weight even when being insuline resistent...

I do fast every day , well except from the whiske this morning, and yesterday, I fast from 19 PM till 12 o´clock next day... just to help my insuline go down by fasting... and those 3 things together has made me able to loose about 1 kg pro week... at the moment stalling a bit but I hope to loose another 25 kg/ ca 58 pounds

Last edited:

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well I don´t know but do the calories from alcohol count like carbs or like fats ?

I'm all new to this so I also don't know but the 2 glasses of red I had seemed OK and I feel fine I'm thinking that because I've cut out all other carbs it's not affecting me !! At the moment I'm taking in between 100/150 g of carbs a day mostly through fruit and vegetables but it's working for me I think !!

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm all new to this so I also don't know but the 2 glasses of red I had seemed OK and I feel fine I'm thinking that because I've cut out all other carbs it's not affecting me !! At the moment I'm taking in between 100/150 g of carbs a day mostly through fruit and vegetables but it's working for me I think !!
yes but maybe the caloriies from the wine must be counted in the carbs , which leaves less carbs for real foods..

tinyfilosofer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I didn't drink for 3 months, then started drinking. It does make the insulin somewhat more active and I need to be aware of hypo. I'm a type 1. Doctors advise against it but if it's going to make you miserable you want to give up and die, I think a bit of transgression once in a while is ok. Just make sure you keep testing your sugar.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yes but maybe the caloriies from the wine must be counted in the carbs , which leaves less carbs for real foods..

126.4g of carbs all day yesterday including the wine not sure if it's exactly accurate but I use a calorie counter that includes carbs fats sugar alsorts and I log everything !! It's working for me at the moment

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
126.4g of carbs all day yesterday including the wine not sure if it's exactly accurate but I use a calorie counter that includes carbs fats sugar alsorts and I log everything !! It's working for me at the moment
okay is that low enough for you...?

I have to be under 70 calories to get a normal blood glucose even with metformin 2 x 850mg ... but most days I get something in between 70-80 grams of carbs... to me it would matter if the whisky goes as carbs and not as fat