I can't stop eating sugar!!

Tidy_Deano85

I was diagnosed T2 about 5 years ago, I was shocked and surprised. I was never a lover of chocolate or sweets but prior to being diagnosed my weight had started piling on and I was at my heaviest ever and a size 18/20.

I didn't know anything about diabetes and was a bit lost and confused. I had a rough time on medication, I was put on Metformin, Gliclazide and Simvistatin for my cholesterol. I got conflicting information from my doctor and health nurse about what to do and what not to do and ended up banning all sugar from my diet. I constantly had Hypos and felt terrible all the time. Eventually my Doctor took me off the Gliclazide and said the Metformin and diet alone was helping.

Over a few years I lost over 2 stone and felt great, I had everything under control and came off the Simvistatin as it was causing sore muscles. I was doing regular exercise and watching what I was eating. All good. Until about a year ago, I developed a sweet tooth and can't stop eating chocolate & cakes. I have a love hate relationship with food, I can't be bothered eating after work and will have a bag of popcorn rather than a meal. I usually have a semi healthy breakfast but I'm addicted to bread again. I get to work and crave a diet juice with a chocolate bar. I eat it. I'll eat biscuits and cake and anything else customers hand in or staff bring in! I'm not talking huge portions or everyday but I know it's way more than a diabetic should be eating.

When I get home from work (which is stressful and long hours) I skip dinner and would rather sleep as I'm always tired. Food doesn't interest me now, if I eat out with hubby and friends I feel **** and just want to sleep, my favorite place is bed.

I've got into a vicious circle and can't stop!!

Has anyone else found this? Or am I just very bad diabetic?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Tidy_Deano85 and welcome :)

Do you test your blood sugars? I'm wondering if you're feeling tired because of high sugars? If you are, then that can be a bit of a vicious circle and make sugary foods more tempting.

Don't think you're "bad". Diabetes can mess with people's relationship with food.

Potteron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I feel my resolve weakening I come back on here and read around the forums, I also subscribe to dietdoctor.com so go on there and watch the videos. Watching the early Oct episode of Panorama would also be a great resolve booster me thinks ???!!!
Luckily I live alone so my diet is not at odds with others in the house. Also when any cravings for pudding/something sweet come I find my dish of blueberries and raspberries with Greek yogurt and a dollop of cream help ease the craving , occasionally I'll follow that with a sq of 85% choc.
We all have our weaknesses, mine is more wine related, one glass is never enough :(

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed T2 about 5 years ago, I was shocked and surprised. I was never a lover of chocolate or sweets but prior to being diagnosed my weight had started piling on and I was at my heaviest ever and a size 18/20.

I didn't know anything about diabetes and was a bit lost and confused. I had a rough time on medication, I was put on Metformin, Gliclazide and Simvistatin for my cholesterol. I got conflicting information from my doctor and health nurse about what to do and what not to do and ended up banning all sugar from my diet. I constantly had Hypos and felt terrible all the time. Eventually my Doctor took me off the Gliclazide and said the Metformin and diet alone was helping.

Over a few years I lost over 2 stone and felt great, I had everything under control and came off the Simvistatin as it was causing sore muscles. I was doing regular exercise and watching what I was eating. All good. Until about a year ago, I developed a sweet tooth and can't stop eating chocolate & cakes. I have a love hate relationship with food, I can't be bothered eating after work and will have a bag of popcorn rather than a meal. I usually have a semi healthy breakfast but I'm addicted to bread again. I get to work and crave a diet juice with a chocolate bar. I eat it. I'll eat biscuits and cake and anything else customers hand in or staff bring in! I'm not talking huge portions or everyday but I know it's way more than a diabetic should be eating.

When I get home from work (which is stressful and long hours) I skip dinner and would rather sleep as I'm always tired. Food doesn't interest me now, if I eat out with hubby and friends I feel **** and just want to sleep, my favorite place is bed.

I've got into a vicious circle and can't stop!!

Has anyone else found this? Or am I just very bad diabetic?

well that´s a misserable way of solving your diabetes... sad for you... it is hard to solve for others, but my suggestion would be to rather overeat something that is good for you at breakfast which is not bread in huge amount but eggs or avocadoes nuts or a little peanuts and alike, or a kind of healthy-diabetic healthy smoothie that gets you satiated for many hours...
if you are satiated and feeling really full from healthy stuff htere is less chance you will overeat the wrong things later same day..
I´ve read that LIDL in the UK has some kind of bread called protein rolls which should be a much better kind of bread for diabetics... maybe you could eat that instead in the mornings....
try to get 1 gram of proteins pro 1kg bodyweight every day , cause thats about what your body needs as well... and take a multi vitamin pill every unhealthy day till you get control...

in this link you can calculate how much calories fat and protein you have to eat every day either to maitain weight , to loose and to gain ... http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/DietMakeupCalc.php

Last edited:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@azure I don't do it regularly. I work in a very busy environment and don't find time.

I know I should do it but my metre lies in my work drawer :(

I'm a Type 1 and on insulin, but I know many Type 2s here test very regularly to keep an eye on their sugars.

It sounds like possibly the strain of diabetes has made you give up a bit after your good start? It's hard to make sudden changes so I suggest tiny steps. First of all, get back to testing and see what the chocolate and cake is doing to your blood sugar. Then that might be motivation to reduce the amount of sugary food - or cut it out all at once, if that would be easier and if you find it addictive.

Setting up a routine of testing will help. Make it second nature. It only takes seconds, and the information it provides is invaluable. I know it's hard taking back control, but do it for the sake of your health, and to get your life back. Being so tired must make you feel rubbish.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@azure I don't do it regularly. I work in a very busy environment and don't find time.

I know I should do it but my metre lies in my work drawer :(

then go there and take it out of the drawer right now... cause you want to change , guess thats why you ask here... and I guess that every diabetic has bad periods , but it is important these periods are not too long.

Tidy_Deano85

Thanks everyone. I tested when I got to work after a bagel for breakfast and was reading 10.1 it's no wonder I feel ****!! I think posting on here gave a a bit motivation to check what I already knew!

I resisted those snacks today and had some soup for lunch, no bread or chocolate - no horrible sluggishness with afternoon blurry eyes!

Levels sitting at 6.1 throughout the day, felt so much better.

Does anyone use an App to track sugars / carbs etc?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a personal rule - if I am going to eat stuff I shouldn't, then I will use my meter to test and see what it is doing to me. It is quite surprising how that acts as a break on my tempations.

It works like a charm - so long as you have a good understanding of what raised blood glucose levels do to you, over time.

Not trying to frighten you! Just kind of gently nudge you into testing and seeing what is going on. Then armed with that knowledge, you get to make conscious decisions about what to do next time.

:)

If you want to read up on the consequences of raised blood glucose does, and the benefits of maintaining control, then I recommend the www.bloodsugar101.com website. Very informative.

Hope that helps.

Chasida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Pubs/clubs
I have a personal rule - if I am going to eat stuff I shouldn't, then I will use my meter to test and see what it is doing to me. It is quite surprising how that acts as a break on my tempations.

It works like a charm - so long as you have a good understanding of what raised blood glucose levels do to you, over time.

Not trying to frighten you! Just kind of gently nudge you into testing and seeing what is going on. Then armed with that knowledge, you get to make conscious decisions about what to do next time.

:)Yes ... I must whole heartedly agree with this notion. As some of you will know, I had a bad day and ate ridiculously ( through stress) the other day ... and couldn't bring myself to face the consequences by testing ... so totally ignored my meter all day! I WON'T be doing that again since I know that the omnly person I'm hurting is myself. From now on I will test EVEN MORE if I eat anything that is remotely harmful. I loved a certain type of biscuit but discovered it sent my levels sky rocketting and it truly was enough to put me off ever having them again so it DOES work ... so give it a go.

If you want to read up on the consequences of raised blood glucose does, and the benefits of maintaining control, then I recommend the www.bloodsugar101.com website. Very informative.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Freema

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I do the same as brunneria. Seeing that higher number and asking myself "was it worth it?" Almost every time the answer is no.

Reactions: Freema

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
It's good to know I'm not alone having a really hard time.
myfatsecret or fitnesspal are good for inputting what you eat and it comes up with carbs, fat and cals.

Tidy_Deano85

myfatsecret or fitnesspal are good for inputting what you eat and it comes up with carbs, fat and cals.
I've been using MyFitnessPal on and off for a few years, I just started completing the food diary again the other day. I need to be honest with myself and stick to it.

Does anyone know how many Grams of Carbs I should limit myself to?

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've been using MyFitnessPal on and off for a few years, I just started completing the food diary again the other day. I need to be honest with myself and stick to it.

Does anyone know how many Grams of Carbs I should limit myself to?
I eat 20 grams per day but the number is an individual thing. Here is a very good link for you to have a look at. Low Carb Program - http://www.diabetes.co.uk/lowcarb/ Good luck.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too try to stay as low as possible but find good results at under 20g of carbs per day.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I go the whole grain, fiber rich way and my goal is 140 carbs per day. I eat about 40 grams or under of carbs for three meals and have one snack to round out the day.
(Hold the hate mail-it works for me). Use the carb level that works for you to get to your desired numbers as you test.

Thanks everyone. I tested when I got to work after a bagel for breakfast and was reading 10.1 it's no wonder I feel ****!! I think posting on here gave a a bit motivation to check what I already knew!

I resisted those snacks today and had some soup for lunch, no bread or chocolate - no horrible sluggishness with afternoon blurry eyes!

Levels sitting at 6.1 throughout the day, felt so much better.

Does anyone use an App to track sugars / carbs etc?
There's an app call my fitness pal, my doctor recommended it, you log all your meals and exercise and it breaks down the nutrition in your food. I've found it very helpful.