Substitute for bread

Grimm90999

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The lidl protein rolls are 9g of carb for 100g but most of the weight 110g to 120g so I find its easier to call it 10g of carb to allow for the variance in weight.... another one I use for toast is Warburton wholemeal half loaf as only 9g per slice or the weight watchers wholemeal Danish loaf as 9g per slice too. As for marmalade there is one that I found once and can't find it again that was good called stute

Sally_Ann_W

I love toast and marmalade for breakfast. If I give upbread, would Ryvita with marmalade be a reasonable substitute? I would find life very hard without marmalade.
As far as marmalade goes I make jam with chia seeds & sweetener. The chia seeds thicken the jam and I actually prefer it. If you like raspberry, strawberry jam go for that. Or google making marmalade with chia seeds. Recipe for my jam is found on low carb yum website.

Sally_Ann_W

Hi everyone - I contacted Lidl last week to ask what was in their Protein Rolls and they sent me a full list of all breads and ingredients. They have 2 recipes for Protein Rolls for some reason and here's the full breakdown of both:

124342 - High Protein Roll

Ingredients Water, 17 % Linseed, Wheat Protein, Soy Flour, Whole Wheat Flour , 4 % Sesame, Soybean Meal, 3 % Sunflower seeds, Wheat Bran, Yeast , Oat Fiber, Salt, Coloring Spice Extracts (Curcuma), Thickener: Guar Gum.

Nutritional Information
Typical Values per 100g

Energy 289kcal/1203kJ
Fat 13.8g
Of which saturates 1.8g
Carbohydrate 9.8g
Of which sugars 1.2g
Fibre 12.3g
Protein 25.0g
Salt 1.03g

Allergens
For allergens, including cereals containing gluten, see highlighted ingredients. May contain traces of Milk, Egg, Shell Fruits and Celery. Useful Information Suitable for vegetarians. No alcohol derivatives.

79358 - High Protein Roll

Ingredients Water, 17 % Linseed, Wheat Protein , Soy Flour, Whole Wheat Flour, 4 % Sesame, Soybean Meal, 3 % Sunflower Seeds, Wheat Bran, Yeast, Oat Fiber, Salt, Coloring Spice Extracts (Curcuma), Thickener: Guar Gum.

Nutritional Information
Typical Values per 100g

Energy 292kcal/1216kJ
Fat 14.1g
Of which saturates 1.8g
Carbohydrate 9.8g
Of which sugars 1.2g
Fibre 12.4g
Protein 25.2g
Salt 1.03g

Allergens
For allergens, including cereals containing gluten, see highlighted ingredients. May contain traces of Milk, Egg, Shell Fruits, Celery Useful Information Suitable for vegetarians.
Amazing. No e471 too! Thanks

S

Sean01

I love toast and marmalade for breakfast. If I give upbread, would Ryvita with marmalade be a reasonable substitute? I would find life very hard without marmalade.
Hi - I'll come at this from a different angle. If you were trying to give up smoking you wouldn't want to spend time with people smoking and the same might apply to drinking. I have a problem with eating with friends and family in general - I want to eat what they eat and in the past I have been able to really really put food away. (That's part of why I'm here.)
The thought of ryvita and marmalade sounds horrible - but I get it if you love marmalade.

Is it possible that everytime you eat ryvita and marmalade you will have an urge for the real thing - in this case toast. There is possibly/probably a problem with Marmalade (I'm Type 2 - I try to avoid the whole jam/preserve area)

You may need to look at a completely different breakfast substitute - it might be difficult at first, but after a while, you will forget the taste of bread. (Ex toast eater (8 slices a day WITH my breakfast) - it took a while but I don't miss it now.

Good luck. I hope you find what you are looking for

Reactions: suejat

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have no idea whether you are T1 or T2, whether you are on insulin or other drugs. However, for most of us T2s it is both toast and marmalade that we give up. Far too much sugar in marmalade and ordinary bread just turns to glucose once inside the system. Many of us buy Lidl High Protein rolls as they are very low in carbohydrate and delicious sliced in half and toasted. From memory they are about 10% carb. The rest is protein and fat. There are other low carb breads such as Bergen and Lovelife, but not as low carb as the Lidl rolls.

Massive help ... Lidl high protein rolls I will be getting some of these thank you so much

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Canadian_cousin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Diet doctor.com has a great recipe for buns made with almond flour and physillum( sp?) husk powder. They are best hot, fresh out of the oven with lots of butter, cheese etc. or thin scrape of marmalade if you budget the carbs.They are only two carbs per bun if you make six buns out of the recipe. Check it out

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
The Lidl rolls I bought were full of seeds/ grains. As someone who suffers from diverticulitis I have been advised to avoid seeds. Does anyone know of low carb breads or alternatives that are seed, grain free please?

Greenandgold

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
The Lidl rolls are ok, but I find them a bit doughy, especially when they've been frozen. My new favourites are M&S Crispy Cheese Crackers, 7.8g carbs for 3, they're delicious with cream cheese and serrano ham.

Reactions: dogslife

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
When your health and your diet says to avoid something, that is what you should try to do. I find substitutes are not usually adequate. Like alcohol free wine for the driver, just not worth it, water will do. If bread spikes your blood sugar, give it up. If marmalade spikes your blood sugar, give it up. Try it, it is not as difficult as you think, Eating carbs and in particularly bread (and breakfast cereal) is a habit we have learned. All habits can be unlearned. If that proves too difficult then by all means explore spending lots of money and time tracking down obscure ingredients. In fact, is that why our diets are so highly carb laden? Because carbs are cheap?

I have almond flour, ground almonds and all sorts of stuff in my cupboard but a lot of the things we make to pretend to be scones, bread etc just aren't like scones and bread.

Lidl rolls are ok but I cannot eat a whole one at a time. I half them then freeze them. I usually forget to take them out of the freezer in time so end up popping them in the oven, that crisps them up nicely.

I had to just give up snacks and concentrate on meals. My meals are low carb, I eat loads of vegetables and it fills me up. I therefore need less snacks and less likely to stray. An oatcake today could lead to an avalanche of carbs tomorrow.

Catlady19

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ryvita is worse than bread! For instance, Warburton's Seeded Batch has 38.8g of Carbs per 100g and Ryvita has 66.9g of Carbs per 100g!
The only real answer is to test to your meter of course.

Reactions: Jowen

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find it easy to stick to one Lidl roll a day, half at a time. This gives me something on toast with a fry-up for breakfast and the other half with peanut butter or cheese after shopping or gardening. It's important (to me) to get plenty of fat with anything a bit carby.

Reactions: KateA and Jowen

Jowen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Here are the nutrient details for the Lidl rolls

Typical Values per 100g:
Energy 1194kJ/268kcal
Fat 13.4g
Of which saturates 0.4g
Carbohydrate 8.5g
Of which sugars 0.5g
Fibre 12.4g
Protein 26.7g
Salt 0.99g
Good bit of fibre in there too!

A

asparagusp

The Lidl rolls are ok, but I find them a bit doughy, especially when they've been frozen. My new favourites are M&S Crispy Cheese Crackers, 7.8g carbs for 3, they're delicious with cream cheese and serrano ham.

I bet they have added sugar and other additives .....

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't have that much if they're only 2.6 carbs each!

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!

The ingredients were posted by a kind person earlier in this thread.
Lidl High Protein Rolls
Ingredients:
Water, Linseeds, Wheat Protein, Soya Flour, Whole Wheat Flour, Sesame, Soybean Meal, Sunflower Seeds, Wheat Bran, Oat Fiber, Yeast, Salt, Colouring Spice Extracts (Curcuma).

Reactions: Freema

DavyPaul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
negative moaning people.
this is interesting. I use my little bake-bot to make my own gluten free bread mainly out of chickpea (gram) flour, plus linseeds & sunflower seeds. I must do a nutritional breakdown. I might try half gram half soya flour too. Toast with scramble usually only at weekends.

Reactions: asparagusp

Seyiauetta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cigarette Smoke. People who need to be reminded a gazillion times that I'm still Deaf even though I have a voice!
I have no idea whether you are T1 or T2, whether you are on insulin or other drugs. However, for most of us T2s it is both toast and marmalade that we give up. Far too much sugar in marmalade and ordinary bread just turns to glucose once inside the system. Many of us buy Lidl High Protein rolls as they are very low in carbohydrate and delicious sliced in half and toasted. From memory they are about 10% carb. The rest is protein and fat. There are other low carb breads such as Bergen and Lovelife, but not as low carb as the Lidl rolls.
This is interesting. I have diabetic preserve but what's the 'sugars' in these rolls please?

Seyiauetta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cigarette Smoke. People who need to be reminded a gazillion times that I'm still Deaf even though I have a voice!
@lynbrown first of all have you tested your BS after eating your toast and marmalade, some people can tolerate bread better than others. You could make your own LC bread and sugar free marmalade, there are lots of low carb, sugar free recipes to be found if you search and Pinterest is also a great resource.
WOW! You have done so well. I'm newly diagnosed and there's so much out there in the way of conflicting advice :stop:! Low carbs, high fat, High carbs, low fat, blah blah blah and for the newly diagnosed it's just feeling like brain storming! I don't know how I'm suppose to keep my calories up and my blood sugar down and have lost already half a stone in just a week! I can afford to lose a stone, maybe a bit over that but what happens then??? Is the weight loss transient? or will it go down and down? x

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Seyiauetta it can be hard finding the right balance especially if you are trying to lower your BS and not lose weight as when you are diagnosed most make some dietary changes. This is where LCHF is good as it keeps the carbs low and you can tweak the amount of fat so you dont lose weight. A lot of people think the HF part of it means unlimited fat which is untrue, adding a bit more fat to your diet to halt weight loss could be as simple as making a creamy sauce for your vegetables. It takes time but it is worth it to see the numbers going down.