What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I have seen the educator on it. They gave me a bunch of papers to know how many carbs is in things like a pound of cheese. I try to stay away from processed foods and stick to the fresher things. However that's kind of hard to do when I need to eat on the run for work. But I have found it easier.
Oh, I know and caring for little people can also make it hard to eat right. Just try to notice how many carbs you are eating and cut down if you are getting higher numbers. Pasta dinners always give me highs in the morning. I can have a hamburger but not fries once in a while without getting high numbers the next day. Of course no soda pop or sweetened tea when I am eating out. I drink water or unsweetened ice tea (or coffee in the morning). Gatorade also has a lot of carbohydrates.

Reactions: debrasue
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lane also are you rotating your injection site? It is important to use the areas they told you to inject but move every day so you are not reusing the same injection site until two weeks have passed.

Yes. I change sides of my stomach and arms. I rotate every time I do an injection. The hard thing is I can't inject myself in my arms so if my moms not with me I have to do it on my stomach again. But I was only told to change location every time I inject. Not to switch every 2 weeks.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh, I know and caring for little people can also make it hard to eat right. Just try to notice how many carbs you are eating and cut down if you are getting higher numbers. Pasta dinners always give me highs in the morning. I can have a hamburger but not fries once in a while without getting high numbers the next day. Of course no soda pop or sweetened tea when I am eating out. I drink water or unsweetened ice tea (or coffee in the morning). Gatorade also has a lot of carbohydrates.

Yes. I think Mexican food is bad for me. But it's so good. And I've always loved unsweet tea so that was never an issue. Gatorade was easy for me to kick. Even though I loved it. It was the easiest. Smoking was the hardest. But that seems to have been successful

Reactions: hankjam

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes. I think Mexican food is bad for me. But it's so good. And I've always loved unsweet tea so that was never an issue. Gatorade was easy for me to kick. Even though I loved it. It was the easiest. Smoking was the hardest. But that seems to have been successful
Good job on the smoking-that is a really hard one to kick. Avocados are low in carbohydrates, lettuce and tomatoes are good for you. Salsa is excellent and beans are good even though they have some carbohydrates. Refried beans are not as good for you as a bowl of beans with salsa and maybe a little crema or shredded cheese on top. Cilantro is very good if you like it. Rice generally unless its brown rice is not a good choice. Flour tortillas are really not very good for you but again its the amount of carbohydrates that your body can handle with the level of medication that you are taking that counts. Oh, and green chili stew usually has a lot of sugar for some reason. Green chili's are a very low carbohydrate food but green chili stew is not. Carne adobada , my personal favorite, also raises my blood sugar a lot. (Habla espanol?-there is no Spanish spell check on this site.) Roasted or boiled meats are usually better than carnitas but you have to know what has been added to them. Calabasitas (boiled summer squash with chili and meat broth ) is also usually low in carbohydrates unless corn is added. Posole-I don't know-I eat it when I am sick and my blood sugar is usually high then anyway-you will have to look that one up.

Last edited:

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes. I change sides of my stomach and arms. I rotate every time I do an injection. The hard thing is I can't inject myself in my arms so if my moms not with me I have to do it on my stomach again. But I was only told to change location every time I inject. Not to switch every 2 weeks.
Well it's not actually to switch every two weeks, we need to use a site at least two inches away from the site we used for the last injection and not go back to any injection site you have already used for at least two weeks. They gave me a "S" pattern to work on each side of my stomach from hip to about 4 inches away from my navel. If you inject into the same spot you will create scar tissue and your insulin will not work as well. They were not clear on this point to me at first either.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
4.2 today.
Do you feel bad when you wake up with numbers this low? I mean physically. I would be reaching for the candy and would probably over correct. I can see that most of you are trying for lower goals than mine but I just really hate and fear lows.

Paul3613

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NOT BEING ABLE TO EAT WHAT I WANT, Outdoor gardening, Bad weather, Floods, Bush fires, Below zero temperatures, Not being able to walk my dog (she is to old),
7.1 this am. I had a small spoonful of ice cream with my no sugar jelly last night, I think it might be a once a month treat. :oops:

Reactions: hankjam and mo53

Tezzz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its 2.30am and I'm 31.6. I want to give in. Really. (Yes, I washed hands first and did meter control tests to check)

Yesterdays food was scrambled egg for breakfast, quiche thingy without ANY of the pastry bit for lunch no veg, One biscuit for tea and grilled pork chops with green beans and cauiliflower and lemon juice for dinner (no gravy). Oh I had a biscuit you say... 1st one in weeks.

I get my first ever contact (a phone call) with a DSN at 11am. (I have a thread running about my high (101 or 10% HBA1c in another thread.)

I wish everybody happy numbers.

(I'll update my DSN progress in the other thead. Please reply in my other thread - you lovely people don't need me to ruin good readings but sometimes frustration kicks in.)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.9 Again jubiii :) but the whisky today didn´t help much, 1 hour later 6.4 but after a brisk walk of 3 kilometers....
maybe it´ll help tomorrow...

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
5.0 I always test on right hand as left hand levels are always higher. For me that is.

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Do you feel bad when you wake up with numbers this low? I mean physically. I would be reaching for the candy and would probably over correct. I can see that most of you are trying for lower goals than mine but I just really hate and fear lows.
No, I feel fine at this level, if your levels are higher then your hypo awareness is higher.

Reactions: Paul3613