Type 1 School

rach02

I'm really struggling my 11 yr old daughter has been diagnosed with type 1 , she is struggling so much , and is supposed to be going back to school tomorrow , she in complete meltdown and I finding it hard to keep together myself , what is the usual length of time I should keep her home

redtree92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm really struggling my 11 yr old daughter has been diagnosed with type 1 , she is struggling so much , and is supposed to be going back to school tomorrow , she in complete meltdown and I finding it hard to keep together myself , what is the usual length of time I should keep her home

Hello,

I was diagnosed at 13 and was off school for about a month, it was hard, but at the same time being back at school helped me with routine and getting back to living a normal life, the nurses at my school were amazing, I had cards to let me out of class whenever I needed to, I could always go to the medical room at any time.
The diabetic team at my hospital were incredible, they came in to check me, along with all the other diabetic children! Turns out there were a few, and we were all close friends! :) I promise it will be ok, if you have any other questions please message me.

I hope you and your daughter are ok xx

rach02

Thank you , it's only been a week and there all pushing her to go to school tomorrow , iv decided I'm keeping her home thank you for you kind words , at the moment we are finding it very hardx

Reactions: himtoo
Hi Rachel. ....I know too how ur feeling..my daughter was diagnosed only 4 weeks ago now and I thought I'd never be able to deal with it I had a week off work then another last just over a week ago...it was hard and still is some days now but already it has got easier...honestly. my daughter is 9 yrs. ..and night times are the worst as she gets so tearful....you will get there bless you....if u want to message me too please don't hesitate xx

rach02

Thank you to you both , you have helped alot at the moment except for family and friends I feel alone , as we know noone in this situation , all I seem to do is cry my so happy little girl seems so angry and I deep down didn't really understand I am keeping her home from school , before she goes back she needs to open up and tell me what she wants to do , Sara knowing you are only 4 weeks down the line , does mayb make there is light at the end of the tunnel , iv tried to pm , but having no luck xxxx

M

mist

Children are pretty resilient creatures..lol..and much tougher than you might think. A few adjustments and she'll be fine.

Try not to stress out about things, you'll make yourself unwell.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
you have to make a certain number of posts before being able to PM - sorry can't remember the figure!

@mahola is well known on here having herself and daughter dx t1d within a week/month(?) of each other - her and her daughter are amazing, have done so well and been through some 'character building' episodes - if anyone can help you both, she can (and no doubt will!). Perhaps mahola you can PM them to get the ball rolling.

BTW my blood sugars are so much better and controlled during the week when I'm at work because of the routine, school will help by providing a regular routine - it's that first step which is the biggest hurdle to get over, best of luck.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@rach02 It gets easier - it really does. The first few weeks and months can be hard for so many reasons, but please know your not alone. There are lots of Type 1s here and parents of Type 1s too. Please ask whatever you want.

I was older than your daughter when I was diagnosed, but I felt very angry. Understanding that it wasn't my fault and that it wasn't some kind of 'punishment' helped a lot. Explain to your daughter that Type 1 is an auto-immune disease. She did nothing wrong. It's just bad luck.

I agree with the advice to keep her at home until she's ready. That will also,give you a chance to get a grip on control and get into some kind of routine.

All the best to you and your daughter.

billybadger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
my so happy little girl seems so angry
On top of the upset of coming to terms with the diagnosis, swings in blood glucose levels play havoc with your emotions and moods (ask my wife and kids!!), but this will improve with time as your daughter gets into a routine and her blood sugar levels are better controlled. :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @rach02
that first few weeks following a diagnosis is heart wrenching and seems so hopeless ,,,,,,,,,, but.......... your daughter will be resilient given time and will make some adjustments and adapt ... so as a family it is important to just be supportive and everybody needs to have some time and space to adjust ,
and as a mum you must try and not blame yourself -- T1D just seems to happen without much notice or warning

You got all of us on your team now so any help needed just ask
I will try to be there x

rach02

Thanx , yes one day at a time is what I'm going to do, coping with the silence of my daughter is very hard wondering what is going on in her mnd, all I can do is cuddle her if she is sad , cuddle her when she didn't want to do her insulin cuddle her and all I want to do is take this away frm her , but I can't and as her mother I would usually be able to do that !!

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was a 54 year old at my diagnosis 3 years ago. I wasn't angry, distressed, or unaware of living with type 1 (had a brother diagnosed as type 1 over 30 years previous) However, to get to grips with carb counting, activity levels, managing hypos and my eye sight settling down I took 3 weeks off work. It was a very short time to sort out managing the rest of my life. Your daughter is 11, she will be fine in the long run. Leave any return until after half term. Good luck!

rach02

Hopefully agreed with school to go back after 1/2 term , and mornings only , she seems alot more brighter now the pressure to go back to school asap as been taken of her ,

Ohh thankuu Mahola. ....I've just registered last week. Wow..yes that must of been hard going on you ...and ur daughter...I have blamed myself ...so many times...would u say it's just a part of both of ur daily routines now...or is it still hard to cope with on a daily basis? Be great to keep in touch with u both. Hows your week going up to now rach02? xx