How long did you think you had diabetes before diagnosis?

Looking4someone2help

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I had it sense 2012 and was having nerve damage immediately. In 2012 I had hurt my back and had cortisone short. I remember after the third shot complaining of a burn in my toes and my legs going numb and not feeling my feet when walking and I stepped funny and my toes were under my foot(hard to explain). Plus I gained about 30kg in less than 1 year. It was like 10kg per shot... Every shot I gained. But I probably had pre diabetes control by diet without knowing it cus my grams was pre diabetic for years until she died in 2008 and I ate what she ate mostly. She ate a lot of fish or chicken with veggies and fruit. We didn't eat a lot of pasta or rice or junk food and I was pretty fit. I ate a little chicken and lots of veggies. So I think somewhere around 2008-2012 I become diabetic and found out in 2016.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Three to four weeks max. The symptoms were pretty dramatic so I knew I was ill and I self-diagnosed and told the GP what I had.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Possibly a couple of months, 50 years ago. I was very ill by the time the doctor was called but he immediately did a urine test and sent for an ambulance. GP saved my life!

Reactions: Freema

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I had no symptoms prior to going for a New Patient appointment at my new surgery. I was Pre Diabetic for some years then because I ignored it became T2. I wish I had the benefit of this site then... I might have stayed PD!

However, my life was saved when I attended my first clinic when the nurse noticed me rubbing my chest... I had had a heart attack.

prancer53

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Professionals who know little about diabetes who generalise!!
I was 8 years old & didn t know what diabetes was although from a better informed, retrospective perception I can see that I had had symptoms before things got really bad. Anyway things got really bad in Sept 1960 & my mother took me to the gp repeatedly. His advice was that she should feed me more. I was constantly hungry & ate massive amounts of food but was losing more and more weight. It was Feb 61 before I was admitted to hospital by which time I only weighed 2 stone. It was not due to the gp that I was admitted but to the school doctor who recognised my symptoms immediarely so tested my wee which confirmed her diagnosis. Basically it took 5 months to be diagnosed but in another few days I would have been dead!! Have had yype 1 for 55 years now with no complications.Thank God for that diagnosis!!

Reactions: Dodo and Freema

Chunters

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really don't know :):) Diagnosed T2 in July this year. Had been peri menopause since 2012 but had moved to menopause by 2016. Sort of a routine appointment discussing HRT (had been asking for it for over 12 months - whole other story of being let down by the NHS there!) Anyway a Dr finally agreed to prescribe but wanted to do blood tests to confirm menopause (again!) and rule out other causes of the symptoms, in particular thyroid issues, he must have also asked for a HAb1C as well - came back at 69.

The menopause symptoms I had been describing to my GP's for about 5 years included mid afternoon exhaustion, bloating, inability to loose weight and interrupted sleep among others. These could have been T2 or menopause I suppose. All those have gone now but I now have my BG under control and am taking HRT, started LCHF diet and HRT within days of each other.

I've also suffered from what I now believe to have been false hypos for most of my adult life which, of course, I used to 'treat' with a sugar boost :bigtears:

Was not given a GD test with either of my pregnancies in 2002 and 2004. I developed a taste for full sugar Coke during my first pregnancy, never used to drink it or anything like it before pregnancy - could this have been GD?

So back to the beginning - I don't know! It might have been a couple of months or a couple of decades :)

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
I had what I think were signs of hypos for about a year but didn't connect them with diabetes. I was diagnosed T2 when I went for an OAP MoT. I feel great now. How are you?
My favorite Dr, Seuss quote is.... "One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish"
I used to earn half a red swedish jelly fish for walking around the track 5 times as a child. I have been diabetic for a long time.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
stupid GP I already hate him
I was just thinking of all the 8 hour and four hour fasting glucose tests I have taken before they revised the criteria for diagnosing diabetes. Just about every year I think. They used to make me fast over night and then come to my doctor's appointment and have me drink sugar water so sweet it would make me gag. They would then draw blood about every hour for 4 or 8 hours.I was borderline and on diabetic diet and exercise for about 40 years. Eating small meals every few hours to promote insulin dumps.They have sure come a long way in testing. I am much happier with the single blood draw and then off to my regular day with HA1c tests now. (My internet was off for a few hours and I could not wait to get back online tonight!)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't know!! I've always drunk a fair bit and wee'd a lot, and my only (other) possible symptoms were extreme tiredness and brain fog which had lasted several years and my GP had fobbed off as being due to my weight , and I'd finally accepted might just be "old age"! :wideyed:

Since I have had 6 monthly checkup/medicine reviews including blood tests for many years, it would appear that there were no warning signs diabetes wise until March 2013 but it wasn't until November 2013 that I was actually properly tested and diagnosed.

Robbity

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
I think I had it for about nine months as was terribly tired and losing weight, I needed to lose weight so thought nothing of it, in fact was rather pleased ! Was diagnosed when I had a smear test and urine test as a matter of course. That was almost seventeen years ago now. Still only on two metformin a day so count myself lucky.

DavyPaul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
negative moaning people.
Interesting. I've had my diagnosis confirmed for 13 weeks (it's my last XPERT session tonight). I was not surprised. I've suspected for 2 years before that. I'm sure I've had 'bloods' at the GP before that, but he was always more concerned about my blood pressure. (Father was type-II).
It's interesting to read about other peoples experiences with their GP. I'm finding a difference about the level of care offered (or not!) within the same health authority (Cardiff & Vale). Other people only see the "diabetic nurse" who takes bloods, makes their appointments and chases them with reminders.
I had to make sure I set my own reminder and make my own 2nd appointment with the GP after 13weeks on my meds. (incidentally, even though they knew why I was visiting, I had to insist on getting 'bloods' rather than make another appointment to make another visit. No joined up thinking. Should I be concerned about complaining? It's good that I know that there IS a good level of customer service somewhere. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure to be honest. I was diagnosed at age twelve after maybe six months of rapid weight loss and thirst. Initially my go wasn't going to ask for blood glucose within my blood tests however luckily he did, which came back at a whopping 49.9 m/mols per litre (at this point only a phone call was made to my mum saying that I should go to the hospital asap with no explanation of issues as the surgery was closing >:|) and I was then seen by my diabetes team. 4 years later, still here lol.