levemir problem

sophsmam

Our daughter is on 39 units of levemir over the past 3 weeks ,she's only twice woke up at 4.6 the rest anywhere between 10 and 19. We saw the doctor last week and she wasnt happy for us to increase her dose.With her having the 4.6 readings the concern was previously that,she was having night time hypos ,yet haven't found she is so now need to check at different times .
She's not been well really since xmas and is getting checked for 3 conditions won't get the results till after easter.My question is should i increase it by 1 or wait for blood tests results im certain she isn't having night time hypos.the doctor said it was entirely up to me im just a bit wary of increasing it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Is your daughters dose split or given in one go?

Nigel

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
It's so hard to know what to do, 39 units seems so much, but we all know our children are so different. How are her bs over the rest of the day? and are you still splitting the dose? If her bs is ok during the rest of the day, perhaps just increasing her bolus at breakfast will do until you get her blood results back.
good luck,
Suzi x

sophsmam

We were splitting the dose in the end it just wasn't working for her.Her b/s during the day are. ok at lunch,high at tea with her levemir running out at 4,supper always below 10 the odd occasion she's been high.Did try and give her a dose of novorapid after school but about 7.30 , she was having bad hypos so stopped that.i did think she was allergic to wheat which she is getting tested for but im almost certain its her thyroid.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
its so hard to know what to do, you could try the extra unit at bedtime. At present we are back to giving Andrew his extra humalog at 4pm and usually another top up at bedtime before his Levemir, i don't have much faith in the Levemir at present, it doen't seem to be doing its job!! But will wait til we move to Malta and perhaps the hospital there will change him onto another insulin.
We both seem to be having a right old time of it lately,
Suzi x

sophsmam

Last night give her 2 units less today 9.1 i was convinced she wasn't having night time hypos.
I may just be wrong whenever i checked her she would still be over 10,she would then wake up to be even higher.May just be a one off have to see, her tea reading yesterday was 8.2 very strange never ever been below 10 at tea only when we split it.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I can only say that since Khaleb's Hypothyroidism diagnosed at the start of the year he has had much better levels. I was managing before but it seemed a struggle and I was up most nights checking bsl's. I've just done a bit of an overhaul of Khaleb's insulin and reduced his Levemir and upped his Novorapid with meals. This is working for us also.

Do you mix the Levemir and Novorapid? I believe this can be a problem. I also find I get better levels by putting Levemir in the butt and Novo in thighs and hip area. We aren't able to use the tummy yet but that will come one day.

Being sick can just throw things out and if there has been some weight loss that changes the balance also.

I'm pretty happy with Levemir but Khaleb has never been on any other insulin so I have nothing to compare.

Hope you can get some answers as I'm sure you are ripping your hair out trying to find the missing peice of the puzzle.