Induction stories please! What to pack?

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
So I have my date.... next Friday!!!! Eep! After the initial shock I am feeling OK. Ish.

I would like to know how long people were in for, both before and after birth. I am trying to work out how many pyjamas I need.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Pack for a few days just to be sure :) Also, bear in mind that you might want to change your clothes more often due to the heat on hospital wards and the high possibility of sweaty hypos after delivery!

I took a selection of co-ordinating tops and bottoms :) I also took t shirts that could double as nightclothes if necessary.

Sarahstar82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey @Postitnote, I'm having the same dilemma!! I go in on Monday morning. I think I've over packed. I have packed pjs for nighttime approx 3 pairs plus a nightie and lots of comfy clothes (more than I need) for the day, mainly leggings, yoga pants and t-shirts which could double up as pjs too. The heat of a hospital ward can be horrendous! I'm sure the heating will be on full whack too!!

Best wishes for Friday x

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I should start by saying that I am not diabetic and that my experience was over a quarter of a century ago, but I guess not much has changed. I had a date, turned up, they were overstretched, stayed a night, nothing was done, went away, came back a few days later, then the actual process took from arrival first thing in the morning to delivery in the small hours of the next morning. I'd had a "difficult" forceps delivery, so they kept me in for another three nights. In other words, even without diabetes, it can be a long, slow, drawn out process, with no fixed dates. I would fully agree that hospitals are overheated, sweaty sorts of places and your hormones will cause hot flushes anyway. I should also mention, regarding clean clothes, there is the issue of blood loss after child birth.
Having now painted a rather unpleasant and off putting picture, I had a healthy baby and all was well. So, my advice, if you can squeeze it into a bag and it can be lifted by one person, take it!
Very best wishes , I hope all goes well,
Sally

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks all and @Sarahstar82 good luck!!! I feel like I ought to be packing for a holiday or something! luckily I'm only 10 minutes from the hospital so hubby can always pop home if I need anything. I am not looking forward to being left alone once visiting hours are over. I'm not used to sleeping alone

jade88

Trust me girls no matter how much you pack there will always be something you forget or need more of! I had to send my mum and other half out several time to get me stuff lol! Good luck to you both! xxx

Sarahstar82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@ jade88 I'm terrible, there is always at least one thing I forget when I leave the house. My sister did tell me to make sure I pack enough feminine products as men always get it wrong and saves them the embarrassment. I think I've packed enough for a month!!

jade88

Always good to be prepared lol! More often than not I was sending him out for food lol! xxx

redtree92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I have my date.... next Friday!!!! Eep! After the initial shock I am feeling OK. Ish.

I would like to know how long people were in for, both before and after birth. I am trying to work out how many pyjamas I need.

Aaaah congratulations !! :D
let us all know how it goes, I am not and have never been pregnant, but its something I want to learn more about with diabetes :)

xxx

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@jade88 , I thought they feed you at the hospital?

I think I'm going to need a bigger suitcase....

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@jade88 , I thought they feed you at the hospital?

I think I'm going to need a bigger suitcase....

I took a little mini suitcase, like you might take for a weekend away. If you search here there are threads about packing. I found taking flip flops to wear in the shower very useful. Remember most hospitals have a shop so you can send your partner or someone down to pick up anything you forgot.

Also remember that your tummy takes a while to,shrink back to a more usual size, so those maternity leggings will still be handy. Comfort is important.

Don't underestimate the amount of maternity pads you need. They're bulky but you can get through a lot in the first few days.

If you live close to the hospital, you could make up a bag of spares/extras so that your partner can bring things in if you need them without having to hunt about.

Good luck to you both!

jacqui-anne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went in on a Sunday evening to get induced, thinking I'd probably be back home by the Monday night. That didn't happen! Between the Sunday and the Tuesday I was given the induction pessaries 3 times but nothing was happening, baby was just far too comfortable! Ended up getting a section on the Wednesday afternoon and got home on the Friday. So just be prepared for a stubborn baby! Good luck! xx

Amy.W

Type of diabetes
Type 1
How many weeks are you? When dud you get an indication of when they were thinking of inducing you? Xx