Does just one bad day make a difference?

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
it was a little joke
I am a long term LCHF diet follower, with an HBa1c of 5.9. I aim at -100 carbs a day. Starbucks hot chocolate without cream and half a brownie is 38.5 grams of carbohydrate. It doesn't do anything much to my blood sugar. I tested and that's how I know. I also know I can't afford to waste carbs on frivolous things too often, or my nutritional status will suffer.
Always test. Be kind to yourself, forgive mistakes.

RJW_Lon_29

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi everyone. As a newbie to the site I wish to introduce myself.
I'm still coming to terms with now being a type two diabetic (shock ... horror) and have been pretty good over the last few months dietwise .. but then again I've ALWAYS eaten nuts, vegetables, fruit, plain yoghurts and a suger free muesli.
I'm not a smoker or drinker, but 'was' a bit of a nibbler during the daytime, and haven't exercised anywhere near as much as I used to up until the last five years since retiring.
However today has been very stressful ... ie .. daughter taken ill ... phone not working to contact anyone, dog playing up, and then my mother needing me to sort out her new mobile for her!
It's all taken it's toll today ... resulting in me eating stupidly since mid morning (did get usual breakfast before everything erupted)
I usually test my bs levels at mealtimes and I'm fairly consistent ... eg 5.8 before meals around 8.1 afterwards, but I just knew that my erratic eating would have pushed my readings up, causing me more stress to see what they were, so I've not tested at all today.
Do you think this one day will have done me a lot of damage?
Hope someone replies ... I need calming down or a telling off at least!!!
It can be hard to keep eating strictly and to keep off the sugary stuff, but you seem to be doing well by eating all the right stuff. I simply can't resist cakes, biscuits or any sweets offered to me, though I share one cake with my friend whenever we go shopping and eat at cafes. The rear of the time I keep to fruit and maybe cheese and crackers. Or savoury stuff.
But I haven't been diagnosed as fully diabetic yet. Still waiting for my results.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
In terms of that original question...probably:). Although I misbehaved a fair amount on hols I terms of adding desserts....I love them, but my BG was back in the 5-6 within 3 days of returning to my regime following the end of my hols.

So my guess is I've improved my insulin sensitivity over the lady 6 months

redtree92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone. As a newbie to the site I wish to introduce myself.
I'm still coming to terms with now being a type two diabetic (shock ... horror) and have been pretty good over the last few months dietwise .. but then again I've ALWAYS eaten nuts, vegetables, fruit, plain yoghurts and a suger free muesli.
I'm not a smoker or drinker, but 'was' a bit of a nibbler during the daytime, and haven't exercised anywhere near as much as I used to up until the last five years since retiring.
However today has been very stressful ... ie .. daughter taken ill ... phone not working to contact anyone, dog playing up, and then my mother needing me to sort out her new mobile for her!
It's all taken it's toll today ... resulting in me eating stupidly since mid morning (did get usual breakfast before everything erupted)
I usually test my bs levels at mealtimes and I'm fairly consistent ... eg 5.8 before meals around 8.1 afterwards, but I just knew that my erratic eating would have pushed my readings up, causing me more stress to see what they were, so I've not tested at all today.
Do you think this one day will have done me a lot of damage?
Hope someone replies ... I need calming down or a telling off at least!!!

hello, welcome :)

firstly, you are ok, and everything will be ok! We all have a bad day, and thats ok, levels being a bit off for a day is fine, no need to panic at all, and it sounds like you are completely in control! Your doing so so well.

But stress is one of my number one nightmares, sends me up into the 12-13's and i also panic, but it won't help anything, so i say, ok today was a bad day, lets forget it happened and tomorrow we can try again, a fresh day :)

I hope that you have been having a better time, and your daughter is ok xxx

Reactions: Serena51
M

mist

Just do the exact opposite of what I do and you'll be fine.

Relax, your winning at life..;)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had 4 bad days in a row last week. Was on holidays in the states and couldn't resist the bigger portions! Have been exceptionally good since I got home at the weekend. I'm wondering how much will it effect my a1c that I'll be getting done next week! I did an at home test the day before the 4 day binge and it was 7.5 could I expect a rise from that Does anyone know?

wannabemammy - Really the only way you would know whether there would be an impact would be to have the the test you did in the States as your benchmark, then do a further home test, from the same batch on the same day as your HbA1c.

Whilst I found the home A1c tests to be accurate, they are similar, not exactly the same. Mine were to within 1 or 2 of the lab results, but I believe others find they can vary a bit, just as my meter average or Libre HbA1c estimation and lab HbA1c are never close to each other.

Chasida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Pubs/clubs
I did some calculations after reading through one of my books on Carbs and Cals.

Hot & Sour soup estimated 5 carbs possibly less.
Singapore Chow Mein 51 carbs
Ice cream 15 carbs
Red Wine 3 carbs

Just over 70 carbs. Add this to my other food - two meals no snacks - and it comes to about 100 carbs in the "bad" day.. The rest of the week my main meal is a lot lower. Lots of supplements and I have over all good control of blood sugar levels to my satisfaction. The cheat/treat day will seem horrendous to some but it works for ME. Members should do their own research and see if a cheat/treat day is possible.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Problem with this condition is that you rarely notice anything when bloods go up. Looking at a number on a screen is all you have. I believe that while any damage on a given day may be miniscule, it all accumulates to do the damage. Just a matter of if the No10 bus gets you first!
One of my problems is that on the days I eat too many carbs and drink beer the meter doesn't go up too much. It seems to be 3 days later that my body struggles, liver dumps like the victoria falls, and it takes two or three weeks of very low carbs to get under control again

ColS

It gets us all differently. I can have a cream cake once a week or the odd beer now and then my sugar level will spike for a couple of hours then drop back into sync. I have been doing a bit more exercise recently and it burns the sugar off in no time.

Jon Lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Also remember a lapse is not a relapse.

I sometimes go a little low, below 4 in the evening before tea. I should have a small carton of fruit juice, I often have a couple of sweets (lidl individually wrapped nougat) and sometimes an icecream. It has to be done.