Whats going wrong

AlbertoLaidlaw

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I have made great progress since last November when I started a LCHF regime. I have lost weight and reduced my HBA1C considerably. I am on metformin and in the last month had it reduced from 2 x 850's daily to 2 x 500's. In the last couple of weeks I have had a bad cold, cough, sore throat etc which is just clearing up.. The issue is that my blood sugars are all over the place early morning "dawn phenomenon" have always been high but now during the day is also high. For me today at 5.30 am it was 10, had a small apple at 6.30 am , at 8 am after a gym weights session it was 11.6 and then at 11 am which was 2 hours after a breakfast it is 9.1. I try to keep my carbs to below 100 grams per day.

Does anyone have any thoughts please?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Any illness, even a cold, can put your blood sugar up. My guess is that that's the cause of your high sugars.

Keep testing, keep hydrated and see how it goes. If they don't settle back down, then do speak to your nurse, but hopefully they'll settle as you recover.

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Totally agree with @azure if I'm under the weather it tends to affect my BG. Hope it improves for you soon - I get very frustrated when mine go up so I feel your pain.

redtree92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have made great progress since last November when I started a LCHF regime. I have lost weight and reduced my HBA1C considerably. I am on metformin and in the last month had it reduced from 2 x 850's daily to 2 x 500's. In the last couple of weeks I have had a bad cold, cough, sore throat etc which is just clearing up.. The issue is that my blood sugars are all over the place early morning "dawn phenomenon" have always been high but now during the day is also high. For me today at 5.30 am it was 10, had a small apple at 6.30 am , at 8 am after a gym weights session it was 11.6 and then at 11 am which was 2 hours after a breakfast it is 9.1. I try to keep my carbs to below 100 grams per day.

Does anyone have any thoughts please?

hello,

sometimes I'm pretty sure the lovely diabetes fairy just likes to test us ! hahaha so many times i will be sat arguing with my metre !! How how how can you be high !! haha

But i guess this is just diabetic life, sometimes there just is no reason, or there may well be but good luck to us trying to figure it out, maybe the air was to humid, or the sun to yellow haha, but it sounds like you normally would have it under control, :) I'm sure they will level back down soon, just try to keep calm about it, stress is the devil!

I hope that you are feeling better soon!

x

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I would try lower carbs and certainly no apples. Try less than 50g per day or even lower. I try for less than 20g per day. Its true if you aren't well then your sugars will be higher but as an ultra low carb advocate you will probably find better control with fewer in your diet.

Reactions: Serena51

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I completely agree with @bulkbiker. I needed to eat way fewer carbs than you and stay around 20. I still do that as a T1.

It's not always food but baby doesn't rise with carbs and you're eating kind of a lot for a T2. Without grains starches and fruit in my diet I'm sure how I couldn't even eat that many carbs