Type 1: Down :(

bigboi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys feeling really really down today about diabetes.. Im 20 and had type 1 since i was two... Keep thinking my life is nearly over .. Its honestly the worst feeling ever. My control has had its ups and downs .. Anyone else feel down and have anything to cheer us up :/ this forum has helped alot before!

A

asparagusp

I suggest too that many people in their late teens.early twenties are prone to depression ..... You are not alone but I know that is of little comfort.

bigboi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suggest too that many people in their late teens.early twenties are prone to depression ..... You are not alone but I know that is of little comfort.

Thanks for reply.. I am on meds for depression , it does make it a little comforting knowing if anyone is like this too.

vagabanjo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed at age 15, I was very annoyed, why me, etc. a few years later someone gave me a book called 'The Discovery of Insulin', and told me to read it. After reading the book it made me realise that I am lucky to still be alive and fully functional due to the great discovery of insulin. I value every day of my life and do as much as I can not to was a day.

Reactions: Dodo

redtree92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys feeling really really down today about diabetes.. Im 20 and had type 1 since i was two... Keep thinking my life is nearly over .. Its honestly the worst feeling ever. My control has had its ups and downs .. Anyone else feel down and have anything to cheer us up :/ this forum has helped alot before!

Hello,

you are so far from alone, it's hard, and no one can tell us its not. I suffer with depression and anxiety, and its a vicious circle.

But its ok, please don't beat yourself up about it, just try your best, and if you don't do so well today, tomorrow is another day.

I try just to do the things I love, be outside, be free! Diabetes will fit around me and not the other way around, but at the same time, sometimes we just need to take some time to knuckle down with the diabetes stuff : / and once you have control, try to relax but keep it, then everything else can fall into place, the anxiety about your life being nearly over, I get it, but its not :) you can live a long and forfilled life! I find that seeing the nurses and having my checkups takes away the anxiety of all that.

If you ever need someone to talk to, you are more than welcome to message me, or I'm sure so many other people on here :) you are not alone and never have to be.

x

Reactions: himtoo

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I can only echo the words that you are not alone, many suffer with the mental anxiety of managing this condition There is s much to be grateful for though so don't think your life is over, talking to others helps a lot and just being kind to yourself so try not to get frustrated or be too hard on yourself, your life really is just beginning, please don't let your diabetes stop you ;)

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey Bigboi. Ive only had this disease for 5 years but it has taken its toll at times. We never get a break from it. Its our constant companion. Give yourself a break with it all. Its a tough disease! Do your best to look after your sugars and implement some self care for your moods. I like a good steaming hot bath, trashy tv and an occasional cupcake :) you are most certainly not alone!!! Never forget that xx

bigboi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank u guys really really lovely reading all of your messages , u have helped a guy out !

Reactions: Juicyj

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can only do your best something I find hard to accept myself. We all have good & bad days. You have done a great job to post on the forum that you feeling down, have you spoken to your GP about it maybe they can send you to some therapy.

bigboi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You can only do your best something I find hard to accept myself. We all have good & bad days. You have done a great job to post on the forum that you feeling down, have you spoken to your GP about it maybe they can send you to some therapy.

Thank u, i appreciate it. And i did before but i think they just presume its a phase

Type1Lad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank u, i appreciate it. And i did before but i think they just presume its a phase
No No tell them it is not a phase I'm lucky with my doctors if I want therapy they will send me but at the moment I'm scared to accept it.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Please do ask for help, here and from your doc's to. I've had diabetes a long time and did go through a tough phase in my teens. One other question if your on Statins as it has an under reported side effect which is depression, I've stopped taking statins because of it.

Reactions: Robinredbreast
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep i am now 32yo found out i had type one at 18yyo and if i a completely honest i have spent 90% of my time as a diabetic really depressed. I hate my diabetes with a passion and still after all these years i struggle to accept it. You are most definitely not alone sweet xx

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @bigboi, I suffer with both T1 and depression too. I was diagnosed T1 at 16, and am now 20. I was okay with it at first, but the diabetes and depression definitely feed off each other and make each other worse. When I moved to university, in the second term I really went off the rails, being deliberately stupid, binge eating sugary foods and not taking any insulin, or taking insulin and not eating, and to be honest I've not really recovered from that phase now, I still do that. It's definitely worth talking to your diabetes management team, as they may be able to offer some support, there is probably a counsellor/therapist associated with the department.

There isn't a magic bullet; I still really struggle. But something that has really helped me is actually talking to other T1s. Before I went on a carb counting course a year ago, I didn't know any other T1s, and I felt really isolated, because doctors and nurses just don't live it the same way that you do, so to be surrounded by other people who can say 'Yeah, I know' and mean it was huge. I'm not properly in contact with any of them now, but every now and again one of them posts something on Facebook that just lifts me a bit. The community here is a wonderful thing - reach out, you are not alone.

Sorry for the novel :) Please feel free to message me if you would like someone to talk to