Confused so far!

Thom

Hi all.

I'm 29 years old and newly diagnosed.

After having many symptoms for about 9 months (weight loss mainly....about 4 stone now down to 8st 12lb)....I was diagnosed as type 2 about 6 weeks ago and put on 500mg metformin 3 times a day.

Everyone I spoke to was confused that I had been diagnosed as type 2 as the symptoms seemed to suggest type 1.

I decided to see another doctor last week who after looking at my BS levels over the previous few weeks instantly suggested I was incorrectly diagnosed and has referred me to hospital for an evaluation tomorrow. I was also instructed to stop taking the metformin in the meantime.

My levels start the day between 11-15 and by the evening are anywhere from 18-22.....I've even had a 27+!!

Not feeling well at all atm.....especially in the evenings. :(

I'm wondering whether I am likely to be spending a few days in hospital until my levels become more stable or will it be a case of 'here's your insulin.....here's how to use it.....away you go'.

Disappointed with the treatment and advice received so far from my GP surgery.....I just hope that will change at the hospital tomorrow.

Quite a relief to find this forum and I look forward to chatting to you all more as things progress.

Thom

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
They should be able to get it right aat the hospital, but what you describe does sound like T1 to a non-medic like me.
Hana

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Thom,

Hopefully they will get things sorted tomorrow and get a proper diagnosis of which type of diabetes you have. It may be necessary to stay in hospital for a couple of days to stabilise your blood glucose and to show you how to use insulin should you be type 1.

Keep us informed of how things develop, good luck!

Nigel

Thom

Thanks. :)

Hopefully will be a lot clearer about things tomorrow.

Desperately need to start getting some weight back on.....don't think I've been this light since I was about 12!!!

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
good luck 4 tomorrow :D

Thom

Thank you!

Feeling a little nervous this morning but looking forward to taking some steps in the right direction.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good luck,
Its just under five years ago that I had to go to hospital in similar circumstances. (although I thought I was just going to a clinic and was shocked to be kept in :oops: )
Today, I'm much better and healthier and happier.

Thom

Just got back....no need to stay in!! :D

On Novomix 30 Flexpen starting off with 10 with breakfast and 8 with evening meal with an initial target of BG levels of around 10.

Back to the hospital tomorrow to discuss further.

Feeling a lot more positive and cannot wait to start feeling better.....aware that it will take time though so not getting too carried away just yet.

Thanks for your kind words and I look forward to getting to know you all better in due course.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya thom,
glad youre home and sorted, it will get easier ,im coming upto 6yrs in july, if u need any help plz shout
amanda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Thom how are you getting on with your insullin ? I started on Novomix 30 a few weeks before you did :lol: Had fun for a few weeks with hypos and since last year I've gained nearly 3 stone but ok otherwise.