Type 1: Blood sugar

joshluck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So my doctors said my blood sugars should be between 4 and 9, they where at 7.1 today and I couldn't stop shaking and I felt week so I got it up to 11 and I felt way better are my doctors wrong or am I doing stuff wrong?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
your body has got used to the higher numbers.........you should try and aim between 4 and 9 as the doctor suggests.....

you were feeling hypo symptoms but not an actual hypo...

delmcp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What are your normal BS levels if they have been constantly in double figures the low of 7.1 will make you shake as you are at levels you are not used to.
The Dr is right with the range 4-9.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@joshluck Your body has ben used to higher BS levels so now it feels weird at normal levels. It's called a false hypo.

Your doctors are right with the levels they gave you. Your body should gradually adjust as your levels become more normal more often.

joshluck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
By blood sugars are normally between 10 and 15, when I was admitted it was 28 so yeah I'll just have to shake it of and let my self get used to it

Reactions: Struma

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
By blood sugars are normally between 10 and 15, when I was admitted it was 28 so yeah I'll just have to shake it of and let my self get used to it

You've only been diagnosed a short time - you're doing well :)

Type 1 is a big learning process to,start with, but it does get easier :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If your sugars don't get down to the right levels e.g. below 9'ish 2-3 hours after meals then you will need to adjust your insulin shots. I assume you are on Basal/Bolus so you would need to do both possibly. Also if you are not already adjusting the Bolus for the meal-time carbs then ask the Dr to explain carb-counting or come back here. Yes, the 'false' hypos should fade soon.

jharding

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My first few "hypos" were me dipping below 5.0 for the first time in weeks. It was almost a relief to get to 3.9 for the first time and have a genuine hypo after my body had cried wolf for days!

I sometimes feel hypo now when I'm not; I think if my bloods come down rapidly it causes the feeling so I try and balance most of my meals with some low GI foods so there are some "carbs" being released for a longer period of time - overnight oats for breakfast, bananas for lunch, etc. I also take some carbs when I'm doing strenuous exercise - like climbing a stonking big hill in Wales - to counteract the activity.

I was shaking yesterday and sweating and was over 5.0. By the time I was ready to drive home I was 3.8 and felt fine, and had to stay at work for another 45 minutes until my bloods returned to normality.