Low Carb and Exercise!

MaxineKL

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
After over 2 months of moderate low-carbing with little apparent lowering of FBS levels, I started minimum of 10,000 steps daily most days, and immediately started seeing readings consistently below 6.0. Have now added some running and hope to complete a 100 race Oct 30 (about a week after my 75th birthday ) running more than half the way (interspersed with periods of walking, as needed). I haven't run competitively for some 15 or more years, so I don't know if I'll succeed, but it's invigorating trying

Humma

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Get some ladies dumb bells from Argos Put your favourite music on and danceaway swinging the Dbells you`ll find your own beat to the tunes.Start with 5 minutes a day fora a week the next week add a minute until over the weeks you build up to 30 minutes per day Take your pulse after each workout and keep a written record This will get your heart beating much better than the walking and will help remove plaque from your arteries by affecting the balance of the two types of cholesterol.Plus if you do get tired you wont have to walk back home,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Reactions: Salvia

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
12st 5lbs this morning (78kg?) I cycle when I can or ride a turbo trainer two/three times a week for about half an hour. This doesn't sound much, I know, but the regime I've set myself means I can barely stand at the end of it. Ten minutes later I feel great! LCHF as closely as I can (a few relapses) and still the figures are causing me distress. All those of you reporting figures in the region of 6, 7, 8 have got nothing to worry about. Mine has just gone from 9.7 to 11.1 after a few crackers and a little cheese. Tomorrow morning it'll be higher still, the exercise might just bring it down to 7 or 8.

sohailgagai

12st 5lbs this morning (78kg?) I cycle when I can or ride a turbo trainer two/three times a week for about half an hour. This doesn't sound much, I know, but the regime I've set myself means I can barely stand at the end of it. Ten minutes later I feel great! LCHF as closely as I can (a few relapses) and still the figures are causing me distress. All those of you reporting figures in the region of 6, 7, 8 have got nothing to worry about. Mine has just gone from 9.7 to 11.1 after a few crackers and a little cheese. Tomorrow morning it'll be higher still, the exercise might just bring it down to 7 or 8.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to state the obvious - why not a bigger chunk of cheese and celery?

Notwithstanding

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being fit & healthy
I have been on the Michael Mosely 800 cal. diet since Feb. I have lost 1lb 8oz. in wt. My blood sugar readings reduced from av. 6.5 to 4.8 for the first month, but then stabilized at av. 5.4. I attend the gym 4 times per wk. & exercise very hard , pulse rate approx. 150 for one & a half hrs. Non-stop. I include weight & strength exercises in this. My overall health & fitness are excellent - vo2max 48. I am 67 yrs.old & I have no obvious symptoms of diabetes, apart from a very slight tingling in my left big toe. I was recently taken off the list for regular retinopathy checks after my last two tests. The diet & exercise give me absolutely no problems whatsoever. I would totally encourage anyone with diabetes to take up this regime. It takes willpower & determination, but if I can do it there must be many more who can, too.

Reactions: Serena51

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on the Michael Mosely 800 cal. diet since Feb. I have lost 1lb 8oz. in wt. My blood sugar readings reduced from av. 6.5 to 4.8 for the first month, but then stabilized at av. 5.4. I attend the gym 4 times per wk. & exercise very hard , pulse rate approx. 150 for one & a half hrs. Non-stop. I include weight & strength exercises in this. My overall health & fitness are excellent - vo2max 48. I am 67 yrs.old & I have no obvious symptoms of diabetes, apart from a very slight tingling in my left big toe. I was recently taken off the list for regular retinopathy checks after my last two tests. The diet & exercise give me absolutely no problems whatsoever. I would totally encourage anyone with diabetes to take up this regime. It takes willpower & determination, but if I can do it there must be many more who can, too.

Hello notwithstanding.

Are you saying you've been on the 800 calorie diet since February? If that's the case, 800 calories doesn't seem much to eat, bearing in mind you appear to have lost under 2lb and also undertake a significant exercise regime.

Notwithstanding

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being fit & healthy
Hello notwithstanding.

Are you saying you've been on the 800 calorie diet since February? If that's the case, 800 calories doesn't seem much to eat, bearing in mind you appear to have lost under 2lb and also undertake a significant exercise regime.
My mistake ! I should have said that I lost 1 stone 8 lbs between Feb & Apr. Since then I have been doing the diet during the week & relaxing it at weekends. In the last 5 months, I have maintained my new weight. Previous to the diet, I lost 3st. 6oz. when I was first diagnosed - 9 years ago. I then put just less than a stone back on over an 8 year period - hence the attempt at the Mosley diet. The main reason for doing the diet was to "reverse" diabetes; which I may have achieved -but which has not been confirmed by my Doctor. I am going for a check up with him shortly. Keeping my fingers crossed ! But, in any case, I have no symptoms , am very fit & healthy & am never ill, & feel fine.
My reason for posting this info. is to encourage other diabetics to try this diet. As far as I am concerned, it is marvelous & very effective.

Reactions: Concordjan

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My mistake ! I should have said that I lost 1 stone 8 lbs between Feb & Apr. Since then I have been doing the diet during the week & relaxing it at weekends. In the last 5 months, I have maintained my new weight. Previous to the diet, I lost 3st. 6oz. when I was first diagnosed - 9 years ago. I then put just less than a stone back on over an 8 year period - hence the attempt at the Mosley diet. The main reason for doing the diet was to "reverse" diabetes; which I may have achieved -but which has not been confirmed by my Doctor. I am going for a check up with him shortly. Keeping my fingers crossed ! But, in any case, I have no symptoms , am very fit & healthy & am never ill, & feel fine.
My reason for posting this info. is to encourage other diabetics to try this diet. As far as I am concerned, it is marvelous & very effective.

I did wonder if it had been on a typo. :)

At the time the Michael Mosely book was publish a good number of folks from the forum bought it and did the diet, for varying periods - mainly with very good results. I'm glad it worked for you.

Dark Horse

People who are controlling their diabetes through diet and exercise should still be called for annual retinopathy tests. This is a quote from the government website, https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...87/DES_07_GP_information_sheet_March_2016.pdf
  • patients should be screened annually for life if there has ever been a definite diagnosis of diabetes, excluding gestational diabetes
  • patients in remission – for example due to an intervention such as bariatric surgery – should be classified ‘Diabetes in remission’, not ‘Diabetes resolved’. This ensures they will still be invited for screening
  • patients will not be invited for screening if they have a read code of ‘Diabetes resolved’. This code should not be used for patients whose diabetes is in remission due to an intervention
  • GPs should review all patients with a ‘Diabetes resolved’ read code and amend to ‘Diabetes in remission’ as appropriate

Karenchq

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Absolutely a step in the right direction. Remind yourself often the 500 yards is better than ZERO yards. Your stamina will increase over time. Be mindful to not get discouraged with an all or nothing attitude. It is great that you are working with a trainer. They will help you with realistic achievable goals. I wish you the best.

Notwithstanding

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being fit & healthy
patients should be screened annually for life if there has ever been a definite diagnosis of diabetes, excluding gestational diabetes
  • patients in remission – for example due to an intervention such as bariatric surgery – should be classified ‘Diabetes in remission’, not ‘Diabetes resolved’. This ensures they will still be invited for screening
  • patients will not be invited for screening if they have a read code of ‘Diabetes resolved’. This code should not be used for patients whose diabetes is in remission due to an intervention
  • GPs should review all patients with a ‘Diabetes resolved’ read code and amend to ‘Diabetes in remission’ as appropriate
[/QUOTE]

I did wonder if it had been on a typo. :)

At the time the Michael Mosely book was publish a good number of folks from the forum bought it and did the diet, for varying periods - mainly with very good results. I'm glad it worked for you.
Thank you for your kind comments. I will chase the retinopathy situation up with my GP, when I see him. Meanwhile, thanks also for this information.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
patients should be screened annually for life if there has ever been a definite diagnosis of diabetes, excluding gestational diabetes

Thank you for your kind comments. I will chase the retinopathy situation up with my GP, when I see him. Meanwhile, thanks also for this information.[/QUOTE]

I have commented before, on another thread.

My current status, on my medical records is "Diabetes Resolved", and I still receive invitations (which I accept) for retinopathy screening, so I think there's definitely some variance in how Practices choose to administer things.

I'll continue to accept invitations I receive. My optician uses some nifty photographic equipment when I have my routine sight tests done, but I'm hopeful the diabetic screening service have a more in depth experience of interpreting the images.