Feeling ill

lilies32

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ive been doing LCHF for a week now, keeping below 20g of carb and i feel terrible. Nauseous, tired, shaky, sleepy and struggling to function. Wondering what i can do to help my symptoms? I keep cancelling on things and retreating to my bed because i feel so unwell. I don't normally take many BS readings but those ive done today have been higher than normal (eg 10.4 after yoghurt with a bit of chia and flaxseed) , pre LCHF that mix would have some oats in too, and my BS are normally pretty good.

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ive been doing LCHF for a week now, keeping below 20g of carb and i feel terrible. Nauseous, tired, shaky, sleepy and struggling to function. Wondering what i can do to help my symptoms? I keep cancelling on things and retreating to my bed because i feel so unwell. I don't normally take many BS readings but those ive done today have been higher than normal (eg 10.4 after yoghurt with a bit of chia and flaxseed) , pre LCHF that mix would have some oats in too, and my BS are normally pretty good.
Sounds like transition or 'low carb flu', it does pass if you stick with it and you'll feel great when it does! Electrolytes help, and bone broth

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, you could be have a symptom of what is known as 'carb flu'!
Which means, that because your body isn't used to doing without them. Your body is telling you to eat some. If you can get through this spell you will find it so beneficial as the carb craving disappear. Just up your carbs a little, then adjust as you get through this.
If this goes on for more than a week or so, it might be something else and you will have to consult your GP.

A

asparagusp

Everyone's needs are individual and I was advised by my medic that going down the LCHF diet wasn't for me. I never did eat a lot of carbohydrates, but I feel an unintentional pressure from the forums inherent "LCHF philosophy" so I am eating now about 50g daily. I eat a mixture of low/medium/high dairy fats. I'm very confused.

NHS Dietitions are lacking severely in knowledge so I am thinking of making a private appointment with The Institute For Optimum Nutrition in Richmond, Surrey.

Reactions: mist

SisterMary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Lamont I started the lchf last week I'm taking in 50g of carbs daily as the brain needs around 100 recommended for cognitive function or so I have read and I asked at work where I was told the same. I feel great lost weight BG much better so maybe take it up a little. Each person will have different body needs . Good luck stick with it

M

mist

Everyone's needs are individual and I was advised by my medic that going down the LCHF diet wasn't for me. I never did eat a lot of carbohydrates, but I feel an unintentional pressure from the forums inherent "LCHF philosophy" so I am eating now about 50g daily. I eat a mixture of low/medium/high dairy fats. I'm very confused.

NHS Dietitions are lacking severely in knowledge so I am thinking of making a private appointment with The Institute For Optimum Nutrition in Richmond, Surrey.

Sneak me in, you know they're bound to have muffins there! MUFFINZ!

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Hi Lamont I started the lchf last week I'm taking in 50g of carbs daily as the brain needs around 100 recommended for cognitive function or so I have read and I asked at work where I was told the same. I feel great lost weight BG much better so maybe take it up a little. Each person will have different body needs . Good luck stick with it
Actually, this information about the brain needing a lot of carbs is not exactly correct. There is a good article about this on Diet Doctor. The brain does just fine on ketones. What few carbs it needs are produced in large enough quantities by the liver without any dietary carbs.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
A week is not really a long time and most of us have suffered with carb flu at the beginning, it will soon pass. Best thing is to take half a teaspoon of salt in warm water every morning. This helps replace salt lost through peeing more than usual. Also drink lots of water.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hang on.. so by eating "less" carbs than you think you need you have lost weight and have improved your blood sugar control so you're going to up your carb consumption? Not sure that is especially logical... plus the 100g of carbs is not correct the body can create its own brain food what ever you eat.

Reactions: zand

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people

Sorry, but this is a Low Carb Diet forum, I don't see any pressure, unintentional or not, to adopt a certain limit. I am on 25g carbs, having recently increased from 15, but I can see me changing again as I find my balance.

Reactions: zand

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just wondered where you found it says that this is a Low Carb Diet forum I along with many others always thought this was a general support forum for people with diabetes regardless of what diet regime they choose to follow
The thread is posted in the low carb diet part of the forum - I think that may be what @BrianTheElder may mean I have never felt any pressure to eat less carbs than I do - there may be some people that are passionate about extreme low carb but I take that as them passing on something that has worked so well for them. I have between 80 - 90g carb a day and consider myself a low carber- it's my understanding that anything below 130g is low carb and that we are all individuals who have to find our own level - once again eat to your meter is the best advice

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The thread is posted in the low carb diet part of the forum - I think that may be what @BrianTheElder may mean I have never felt any pressure to eat less carbs than I do - there may be some people that are passionate about extreme low carb but I take that as them passing on something that has worked so well for them. I have between 80 - 90g carb a day and consider myself a low carber- it's my understanding that anything below 130g is low carb and that we are all individuals who have to find our own level - once again eat to your meter is the best advice
Yes I did realise that after I had posted and have deleted it but the OP did rather make it sound especially to newbies maybe that the whole forum is just devoted to low carbers

Reactions: lovinglife

lilies32

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your replies...i had been thinking it was ketoflu....i had been having some salt but will increase...we have an educational session for those starting the LCHF trial at our drs surgery weds and ill take it up with them there if still feeling dire

SisterMary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Bulkbiker 50g of carb is low for me so yes low carb, please I don't like being sniped at this is supposed to supportive . I'm afraid I trust the psychopharmacologists in my work they research the brain for a living. So I was offering my opinion just like you to be supportive as I thought this is what this site was for. Sarcasm it uncalled for.