Medication alone

Jackalina

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can you be a little less strict with diet when you are on medication? I can't seem to work out which foods suit me at all. When I expect my reading to be up it is good and vice versa. The other day I took a reading 2 hrs after lunch and it was 15 a large drink of water and a 1 mile brisk walk later it was <8. The doc says they will keep tabs on my levels and that it is not necessary to test, but how can you be good if you don't know how you are being affected. I have friends with type 2 and they are happy to test a couple of times a week and as long as they are in single figures they are happy. I notice too that they seem to eat what they like, whereas I am fairly strict.

C

catherinecherub

Hi jackalina,
Reading through your post it is obvious that you need to test. You will never know what is affecting your levels until you test and keep a food diary. Try and persuade your G.P. that you want to be proactive in managing your condition and you cannot do it without the tools.
It is no good comparing what other people do and do not eat as we are all different in our response to foods and testing is the only way to determine this.
Ask your Dr. if he would test if he had diabetes. He may be truthful and realize the need for testing. :roll: :roll:

Catherine.

jenrose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
very cold and very hot weather
Isn't is annoying, on one hand the health professionals complain that many of us with diabetes do not take responsibility for ourselves then on the hand they say the doctor/nurse will keep tabs on it?

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
Jackalina said:
The doc says they will keep tabs on my levels and that it is not necessary to test, but how can you be good if you don't know how you are being affected.
The answer is test every day. The only way to know how certain foods and exercise affect your levels is testing.
I have been testing now for about 5 weeks. I was put on a new medication at the time and also started to cut back on carbs, potatoes, rice, pasta and bread. Even if some of these foods didn't make my BG levels shoot up, I now know which ones I can eat.
When I test daily, there is also an incentive there to stop eating certain foods, when I see positive test results.
Try it out for a couple of weeks as I did, then when you next see the DSN or GP take your results with you and prove that testing makes a difference.
In 4 weeks my Hb1Ac levels had dropped from 7.6 to 6.5.

Jackalina

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been testing with mostly readings <7.6 and as low as 5 before meals the 15 seemed to be a one off. I test at my own expense. I think sometimes I get paranoid and wonder if this is the reason that doctors tell us not to test, but I really do like to know that I am not going way up. I have no symptoms whatsoever.

John aka Wallycorker

Jackalina said:
I have been testing with mostly readings <7.6 and as low as 5 before meals the 15 seemed to be a one off. I test at my own expense. I think sometimes I get paranoid and wonder if this is the reason that doctors tell us not to test, but I really do like to know that I am not going way up. I have no symptoms whatsoever.
Hi Jackalina,

The secret about improving control of blood glucose levels is to quite simply work out what it was in any meal you ate that took you to a level higher than you are happy with - and then reduce your intake of that particular food at subsequent meals.

What did you eat in the meal that took you to 15? You are likely to find that starchy cabohydrates such as cereals, bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, pizza etc are the worst culprits.

Best wishes - John