Metformin

snookie09

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Salads
After a visit to my practice nurse today she told me my sugar levels are very high it's 8.2 which is worrying me now, and now I've been put on metformin which I have heard so many bad things about I'm finding this all stressful

Reactions: Liam1955
A

asparagusp

Is that reading a Hb1ac? If not, taken pre breakfast, post meal (usually 2 hours after) or random?

Metformin for many people has no side effects and if you do happen to unfortunately have them, then ask for extended release Metformin instead.

AaronH83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
+1 for the slow release version. I'm type 1 but my endo has me on metformin (glucophage SR) as well as a basal/bolus with Lantus and Novorapid.

Reactions: snookie09

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
I've not had any negative side effects with Metformin; 6 years!

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had side effects (dodgy tum) for about 2 weeks but have no issues at all now (standard, non-SR version)

snookie09

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Salads
Is 8.2 really that high? Doesn't seem that high to me.
I didn't think it was high but nurse scared me by saying was high only been diagnosed a year so all new to me

snookie09

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Salads
It was taken after breakfast not sure what type result it was all she said was very high at 8.2 this is all new to me only been diagnosed a year

A

Avocado Sevenfold

It was taken after breakfast not sure what type result it was all she said was very high at 8.2 this is all new to me only been diagnosed a year
Hiya. Did she take a finger prick test or was it taken from your vein and sent off to a lab? Nice cat, by the way :cat:

A

Avocado Sevenfold

It was taken from the vein. I love cats lol
Sounds like it may be your hba1c at 8.2% then. Best idea would be to contact the surgery and check to be sure. This link has more about it and what to aim for.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html

I have been on regular metformin for nearly 3 years with no problem. As mentioned above, if it disagrees with you, you can ask for the slow-release version. The metformin only helps a little though - diet, exercise and self-testing are your best bet for getting your numbers down. All the best.

Reactions: Liam1955

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After a visit to my practice nurse today she told me my sugar levels are very high it's 8.2 which is worrying me now, and now I've been put on metformin which I have heard so many bad things about I'm finding this all stressful
I take metformin 2 x 850 mg everyday and have no problems at all with them, you only know if they Work for you by trying... most people are okay when taking them , but there are also quite a lot that can´t feel okay while taking them...
I had a Little Loose stomach the first 2 weeks and since that no troubles at all, even taking them on an empthy stomach now every morning well forgot I do have a problem of having to go to the toilet twice most Nights Since starting metformin

Last edited:

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@snookie09 - Hi :). And I've been taking Metformin nearly 16 years - so apart from the odd bout of constipation, have had no other problems.

Aaron187

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was sent into hospital with sugar levels of 21.7 on the 7th September. I was told I had type 1 then the following morning was told it was type 2 the diabetes nurse then came to see me and told me I'm being treated for type 1, I still don't know what type I have but I'm taking 500mgs metformin and 22 units of last us insulin my morning reads are getting better but I still end up with high reads before bed

Aaron187

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was sent into hospital with sugar levels of 21.7 on the 7th September. I was told I had type 1 then the following morning was told it was type 2 the diabetes nurse then came to see me and told me I'm being treated for type 1, I still don't know what type I have but I'm taking 500mgs metformin and 22 units of lantus insulin my morning reads are getting better but I still end up with high reads before bed

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Aaron187 - Hello and Welcome to the Forum :). You could always check when next at your GP'S and find out if Type 1 or Type 2.
@daisy1 will provide you with some basic information that all new members receive. Have a read and ask any questions. :)