Is Anyone Else.....

viv1969

Sick and bloody tired of the Low Carb / High Carb / Atkins / GI handbags at dawn fighting???? :x :x :x

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I sympathise with you Viv, but wonder if starting a new thread about it will help.

Still, I appreciate the irony :D

mullaneder

Dislikes
bullies, bad drivers ,recession,
totally.i became fed of it a long time ago.thats why i only look in occasionally.sad really.we are all in the same boat its just some people think their way is the only way.we are all trying our best.we are also trying to live our lives too. i think its about trying to get a happy balance.i find the ongoing debate very tiresome
dermot

viv1969

Sid Bonkers said:
I sympathise with you Viv, but wonder if starting a new thread about it will help.

Still, I appreciate the irony :D

I expressed a valid opinion.

I see there are Low Carb / High Carb forums already and yet here everyone is bitching about it in this forum.

I'm sorry if you don't approve of my thread, but I'm sick of reading about it and I'm perfectly entitled to say so.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Pick a side! It's gonna be like Rob Roy arond here soon... :wink:

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I have no wish to get involved in any squables, petty or otherwise and look to the moderators to warn and then delete ...that is what moderators are for.

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hi Viv,

It sounds as though you need to work on nurturing your appreciation of mindless rants and pretty speeches. From there on in, you'll find that your love of (yet more) arguments on interweb message boards will only grow stronger. :D

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
viv1969 said:
Sick and bloody tired of the Low Carb / High Carb / Atkins / GI handbags at dawn fighting???? :x :x :x

You just have to miss those threads viv! :roll:

I really don't do stress at all these days so when it gets heated and I can't cope I disappear. It would be nice if there was a little symbol that you could put on those sorts of threads which only the person who put it on could see and then use it to avoid mistakenly looking again. Skull and crossbones comes to mind! :lol:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
viv1969 said:

Hi viv,

Unfortunately some things do need to be said from time to time, and of course this can escalate and become heated sometimes. I appreciate that some people don't want to read such things, but I am sure that if you know what the contents of the thread may contain, you do have a choice not to read it in the first place.

Regards

Nigel

jopar

Hi Viv

Yep I know where you coming from...

I'm not aware of any member on this forum who promotes a High carb diet, granted I suppose it depends where you draw your marks to what consitutes, a low, moderate or high diet though..

Going to your main pointed, sometimes something has to be said, otherwise what you find happens within a forum, instead of a forum that provides information and support sourced from many ideas and methods... You actually end up with a forum that is based on one opinion and method alone which over time slowly desends into providing no information or support for those that are either new to diabetes or are starting to struggle with there condition..

As to what/when should moderators step in, moderating is a difficult task, I know as not only do I moderate on another forum, I've moderatated on this forum in the past... As you have to consider are you removing/editing someones post fairly without being biased? If you decide to ban a member, sometimes it's pretty easy to make the decision, spammer kicked to touch.. Some breaking the forum rules in such a manner it's plain to see... But what about the ones who seem to be complying with forum policies, but there are actually posting elsewhere, spiteful and unkind remarks, allocations, belittling and daming comments at members on this forum, because are not percived to have the same view point or singing off there hymn sheet???

At the end of the day, it's your choose if you decide to read the threads or not, there is even a facility in the User Control Pannel where you can pick your friends and foals.. Also block posts by members that you do not wish to read..

ShyGirl

I haven't been on for a couple of weeks and being met with long , boring threads about carbs is a turn off.
I think a sticky explaining carbs is enough , not fighty threads on a daily basis.
I also blame the NHS for giving out the wrong diet advice.

xxxleonadxxx

viv1969 said:

LOL ... there will always be opinions ... my opinion is one of ....

:D do whatever works for you hee hee

and as others have said, if in doubt, miss it out (my new motto of the moment :wink: )

C

catherinecherub

I think it is some people's perception of their expertise. They are convinced that they know all there is to know and because it works for them it will work for everyone else.
It doesn't just stop at the long winded, going nowhere threads but permeates throughout the forum. Someone asks for advice and it is given. This may include the reasons for testing and how to ensure that foods you choose are not raising your blood sugars. Then along comes someone else and intimates that it will not work unless it is done their way. The original poster, usually a newbie is left wondering what to do as he now has two options, the first is advice and the second is what seems a sure fire way to control their diabetes. There is no mention of a medical history, what medication they are on, their lifestyle etc. He is now being told the surefire way and the "maybe" way.
The person who posts the advice feels undermined and sometimes decides that they are wasting their time in replying to posts. They do not have an argument on the thread started by a newbie but now have a permanent gripe which they may use in the threads that cause the most controversy.
They look on another forum and see that they are being belittled by the very person that thought they knew best and they cannot address that injustice because they do not fit the criteria to join that forum.
Might help to explain some of the battles.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've said it before - diabetics are a touchy bunch. I'm as guilty as anyone...

viv1969

OK, I should have been more specific. My point is this: Low-Carb / Non Low-Carb discussions always turn into slanging matches it seems. Not so very long ago there was a campaign to get the Low Carb Furm and the Non Low Carb Forums set up, but folks seem to be like a dog with a bone and just aren't happy unless there's some kind of He-Said / She-Said battle going on in the main forum too.

Yes I , and anyone else, have the choice whether or not to read said posts, but at the same time surely others have the opportunity to perhaps think twice about posting a comment when they KNOW what the reactions will be. Or maybe that's the point; maybe they only post those messages to then be able to sit back and giggle whilst reading the free-for-all.

I suspect patch is right. We are, clearly, a touchy bunch...myself included :roll:

viv1969

CarbsRok said:
I think it is some people's perception of their expertise. They are convinced that they know all there is to know and because it works for them it will work for everyone else.

Or looking at it another way.........
Some people can not believe that others control their own diabetes very well without having to resort to extreme measures.
There is only one way to control YOUR diabetes and that is to do what suits YOU. If it works stick to it.

Now this I like.

Aaaaamen.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree. Also - I'm very jealous of those that have good control AND are able to indulge now and again.

Very, VERY jealous. :cry:

sugar2

Sorry, but this is funny!
To start a thread about a debate, that leads to teh very same debate.

Viv...I am not critising, but like Sid, I do enjoy the irony :)