When's best..?

Minnie_19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all,

I just wanted some advice on what age you were when you had your first baby? I appreciate this seems like a ridiculous question and one that will obviously vary from person to person.

The reason I ask is because of something my GP has said today which has got me thinking. I am 29 years old and have been a type 1 diabetic for 21 years. I use an insulin pump and my control is very good. I have had some problems with morning blood sugars being a little higher recently but I am working on this. My Hba1c is also within normal limits.

My GP today brought up the subject about family planning as they often do. He mentioned as I am aware that type 1's are higher risk of complications and miscarriage. He mentioned that I should be thinking about starting a family sooner rather than later to reduce my risk. Unfortunately I think he has had some personal experiences with his daughter who is also type1 and has had several miscarriages. Perhaps this experience may have been the reason he brought it up but it has made me feel more pressured.

At the minute I am in a relationship and have been for the last 8 years, but we still have things we want to do and don't feel ready to start a family yet. I do hope that in the next 5-6 years that maybe we will be in a position to start a family, and I've never given it a thought before.

Have anyone got any recommendations or positive stories of healthy pregnancys in their early 30's and do you think there's nothing wrong in waiting till then? I feel silly even asking because I know there must be lots of mums having children in their 30's and 40's having health pregnancies!

Thanks for your reassurance!

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
@Minnie_19 Gosh your GP shouldnt be pushing you. Just wait until you are ready to start a family. I am 39 in two weeks and we have had our first baby in August after ttc for almost 4 years and 3 IVF cycles. I am a type 1 for 37 years and about 2 years on a pump.
Obviously it would potentially be slightly easier for you to fall pregnant when you are younger but it can also happen if you wait 5-6 years so don't worry too much. Our IVF was in no way related to my diabetes so that shouldn't stop you falling pregnant.
Nowadays I think there are lots of "older" ladies having babies just cos they are maybe having a career first or meeting their husbands later in life (like it was for us getting married when I was 34).
My pregnancy was healthy and easy to be honest - baby was born via emergency section when I was 40+4 and is healthy and thriving xx

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
I am 33 (almost 34) and having my first baby. My husband and I have been together 10 years, married 3. I was never told by anyone that my age would be a problem! (Am T1).

Have a baby when you're both ready to have a baby. I think that's the main thing that should be driving you!

(.... I don't think I count entirely though... I got knocked up! Im having an unplanned but very welcome baby!)

Reactions: -Artemis-

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The best time to have a baby is when you are good and ready. There are different risks at different ages and as a diabetic there are risks involved as well but really any woman, regardless of age or health, takes a risk when having a baby. Relax and enjoy life and have a baby when you and your partner decide it is the right time.

Reactions: Postitnote

Minnie_19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for your reassurance. Silly thing is I knew that all already, but think my GP panicked me a little.

It's nice to hear some good stories of healthy pregnancies in your 30's and 40's.
For me that doesn't seem like a late age to being getting pregnant. I think there is an awful lot of pressure these days to be settling down and having children before 30 and for the some women that isn't the right time for them.

Thanks again!

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm 39 - and will be 40 before baby arrives - so positively ancient! :D

.... you've plenty of time - the only thing I would say is do leave yourself "time" to conceive.... we actually started trying to get pregnant more than 2 years ago when I was 37.... but it just didn't happen - for aggggeeeeeesssss..... which did mean that when I turned 39 and still wasn't pregnant, I did start to panic and it definitely put pressure on relationship... thankfully I'm now nearly 12 weeks pregnant - but the pressure / panic bit was tough. Of course you will probably be one of these people that gets pregnant the first month of trying! ... but it's the only thing I would say to think about when thinking about timings.... but you've still got ages :)

Minnie_19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you Artemis that's really helpful advice. And of course congratulations on your pregnancy, it must feel so exciting after such a long wait. I hope it all goes well for you.

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thank you Artemis that's really helpful advice. And of course congratulations on your pregnancy, it must feel so exciting after such a long wait. I hope it all goes well for you.

N'aw thank you! 12 week scan tomorrow...! :) x