Here Goes. . .

Tidy_Deano85

Today is the first day of a new "me". We'll I hope anyway!! After having years of conflicting information I stumbled across this forum and the LCHF diet, I ideally would like to lose a bit of weigh but more importantly I want to feel healthier!!

Any tips guys?

So far this morning I've had coffee, 2 pieces of bacon and some scrambled egg. . . Missing my regular 2 slice of butter toast already!!

Reactions: 75Bedford

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the best advice for the first few days is essentially:
- plan ahead so you are never without something to nibble if a carb craving hits (nuts, cheese, 70% choc, coffee with cream, cold meat)
- plan your menus, meal by meal. less chance of getting distracted by a carb fix.
- don't go hungry or skip meals until you are settled into the routine
- drink more than usual, and more than you think you need
- if you start feeling wobbly, lethargic, floppy or dizzy, then you may be lacking salt, so have a cup of hot bovril, or a mug of broth.

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I would say test to see what effects your BG levels. I found that blueberries were terrible for me whereas other berries were fine.

jonbvn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I would also add the following:

1. Avoid low fat options they usually have more carbs.
2. The NHS guidelines about a balanced plate are questionable.
3. To sustain the diet do not go hungry.
4. Check out dietdoctor.com

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The first couple of days are the hardest. You can totally rock this :D It gets easier.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't try to fix it all in the first week. Take some time to look at meals you like but happen to be low carb. Then put that on your menu and take a high carb one off. (or just the high carb component). It sounds a little cart before the horse but if your attitude is just to keep giving things up you will get fed up and stop doing it.

I found the change was quite minimal when I did this.

SisterMary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
HiTidy I have done it for just over a week and lost weight which is a miracle because I seem to have been actually eating more than normal ! My BG it much better too so good luck stick with it .

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Time for a couple of big glasses of water. :) that will really help with the headache.

Tidy_Deano85

It's only been a few days but i've managed to stick to under 50g of carbs per day.
Am I on the right track?

My diabetic nurse has taken me off Metformin for a while as I've been having a hellish time with bowl movement. I'm on the SR ones on the other standard ones were worse :(

Having bloods tested on Tuesday and follow up appointment the following week.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I would say you are definitely on the right track. Some people just cannot tolerate metformin and maybe that is why you have not been feeling very good. I hope you are feeling a bit better now. Do you have a meter yet and are you testing? That will show you how you are doing and give you feedback to stick with the new you.

Ruth26

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck Tidy .... I found giving up bread the hardest part but a few months down the line I can watch others eat it & not even want it anymore

Tidy_Deano85

Thank you everyone, I'm still managing to stick to around 50g of carbs per day and have ordered some LCHF cook books and some ingredients from Amazon :)

Already after a few days I feel better and I am determined to sort myself out!

I'm testing more regular now and I'm pleased to have results circa 6 or 7 usually.

My only worry is I don't always feel hungry, is it ok to skip meals?

Reactions: Brunneria

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
As long as you are not on insulin or gliclazide then if you are not hungry, don't eat. Drugs that raise insulin levels can cause lows if you don't eat but other than that fasting is fine.

Along with this is the advice that if you are hungry eat! Just make sure it is low carb. If you don't eat and let yourself get extremely hungry your chances of chucking it all and bingeing go up dramatically. Often all it takes is a piece of cheese or a handful of nuts to stop the growlies.

Tidy_Deano85

I was on Gliclazide & Met form in at the very beginning, it was a disaster! I was having Hypos all the time.

Up until a few days ago I was on Metformin SR (as the standard ones were giving me serious tummy troubles). The SR version have now started playing up and making me ill, constantly in the toilet :(

I'm now having a trial break from medication until my review on 3rd Nov, I just hope I don't get another new medicine.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was on Gliclazide & Met form in at the very beginning, it was a disaster! I was having Hypos all the time.

Up until a few days ago I was on Metformin SR (as the standard ones were giving me serious tummy troubles). The SR version have now started playing up and making me ill, constantly in the toilet :(

I'm now having a trial break from medication until my review on 3rd Nov, I just hope I don't get another new medicine.
I use it as another incentive. Lower blood sugars, maybe lose some weight and don't give DN a reason for giving me more pills. That last one is fast becoming one of the reasons I stick to the diet. I'll be honest, I am not as strict as some but when it comes near DN time and the thought of more pills comes up I am inspired.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You do know you have the right to decide if you want to take a medication or not? If you want to try to get things under control with diet that is your choice.

tim32

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I refused to take Metformin and try to control my BG through the LCHF diet, I have only had 1 reading over 9 in the last few months (I had a bad week) mostly in the past month I have had 7 to 8 ( separated from my wife problems at work and moving to bed sit land) I started the diet again on Saturday and started exercising again, already had a 6.4 mmol. Results of HBA1C Tuesday, these results will be good, I had the test 5 weeks ago. I might wait an extra month before I go for the next 1.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you everyone, I'm still managing to stick to around 50g of carbs per day and have ordered some LCHF cook books and some ingredients from Amazon :)

I'm testing more regular now and I'm pleased to have results circa 6 or 7 usually.

yes its ok to skip meals.. especially when you're not on medication. I skip breakfast every day just have a couple of mugs of tea. I think it has been a major factor (along with a very low carb diet) in getting my numbers down.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Check out the videos on this thread
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/why-i-love-dr-jason-fung.110112/#post-1287950