Newby

Seyiauetta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cigarette Smoke. People who need to be reminded a gazillion times that I'm still Deaf even though I have a voice!
I was diagnosed Type 2 On Saturday after being taken unwell and ending up in casualty. I've found this site and so far it's helped me a lot in not feeling quite so alone as being Deaf I'm already quite isolated where I live. At the moment I'm not sure what I can or can't east or drink but DO seem to be getting my blood sugars down a bit now as they're down from up in the 20's to around 9.5. ANY help and assistance is warmly welcomed. Thanks everyone

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @Seyiauetta:)

I'm very sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but now that you know you are a type 2 diabetic - you can take the right path to regaining control of your health.

You will find loads of information on this site and many kind, understanding forum members who can help you with any queries you may have. To kick start this, @daisy1 will provide you with some information to get you on your way. If there's anything within Daisy's post that doesn't answer further questions you have - then don't hesitate to post your own thread in the applicable section of the forum.

And congratulations on getting those blood sugars down so much, so early on. That's excellent work:)

Good luck to you,

Kind regards,
Grant

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
Hi and welcome,
Have a good look around and anything you don't understand just ask:)

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi and welcome, you are not alone and your bg levels have come down quickly so you are doing what needs to be done, and probably more. Are you keeping a food diary, if you do with a note of bg level 2 hours after eating then you will soon work out what you can eat and drink without causing a lasting rise. A lot of people on here eat a version of a low carbohydrate with healthy fats diet, the fats coming from full fat dairy, eggs, fish, olives etc. The fats help to give sufficient calories to slow weight loss to a steady pace and also give a feeling of being full. Carbohydrates from bread, pasta, potatoes, root vegetables are quickly absorbed into the blood as glucose so we need to limit or cut them out of our diet altogether, but everyone is different so testing with a meter is the only way to find out what will work for you. Read around the forum, ask questions and someone will be along to help. Good luck.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @Seyiauetta :)

It sounds like you've made a good start :) If you test your blood sugar before meals and two hours after the start of your meal, you should be able to see what effect different foods have on it. It's called Eating To Your Meter - that is, choosing the foods that work for you and allow you to,control your blood sugar.

Reactions: Seyiauetta

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum, you are in the right place to get yourself on track, dont be afraid to ask questions, we are very helpful :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Seyiauetta

Hello Seyiauetta. Have a look at the information I posted for you on your other thread. The link to this information is in my signature. Ask more questions if you need to and someone will be able to help.

Seyiauetta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cigarette Smoke. People who need to be reminded a gazillion times that I'm still Deaf even though I have a voice!
Hi and welcome, you are not alone and your bg levels have come down quickly so you are doing what needs to be done, and probably more. Are you keeping a food diary, if you do with a note of bg level 2 hours after eating then you will soon work out what you can eat and drink without causing a lasting rise. A lot of people on here eat a version of a low carbohydrate with healthy fats diet, the fats coming from full fat dairy, eggs, fish, olives etc. The fats help to give sufficient calories to slow weight loss to a steady pace and also give a feeling of being full. Carbohydrates from bread, pasta, potatoes, root vegetables are quickly absorbed into the blood as glucose so we need to limit or cut them out of our diet altogether, but everyone is different so testing with a meter is the only way to find out what will work for you. Read around the forum, ask questions and someone will be along to help. Good luck.
Hi and Thank you, Yes I'm keeping a food Diary that consists mainly of fish and veg at present sometimes with a jacket potato (medium size) Today before eating my BG was 5.5 then usually 2 hrs aftr eating it's between 7.0 and 8.0. First thing in the morning my fasting BG is around 7.1 now but I think that's still a bit high?

A

asparagusp

4-7 is the range for fasting and less than 8.5 for post prandial - so fine! Well done!

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
Keep it going you are heading the right direction, between 4 and 7 is the ideal range and at 2 hours up to 8.5. So for a 7.1 in the morning I would be chuffed if I was you, (meters will always be a bit out) and celebrate the success you have seen so far. Imagine in time what you are capable of. So whist easy to say and harder to do, relax and be kind to yourself, stress does not help, take each day as it comes and expect the odd anomalous reading as they will happen, unless you know you choffed a 12" pizza you may have to put it down to !"£$ happens and get on with being awesome.

My advice is/are

Test before and after eating a meal 3 or 4 times so you can predict what the meal will do to your levels. If it is consistent then you have a good meal you can plan into your armoury of food.

Herbs and spices are a god send, food need never be dull.

Relax

If you can walk for 1 minute each day in week 1, 2 minutes each day in week 2 in half a year you will be walking almost 30 minutes a day, this will make all the difference. Saying that if you can walk 30 minutes today just imagine what 60 minutes will do for you.

Join a walking club.

Ask any question no matter how silly it may seem, the people here are really quite nice.

Let us know how it goes.

Ross