Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
12.3, I'm following low carb....it's getting worse although during the day it's at normal levels.....any advice please?
You might be getting 'Dawn Phenomenon' or liver dump, where your liver dumps glucose into your bloodstream because it thinks you don't have enough or to get you going first thing in the morning. It is normal and non-diabetics get it too.
If you have just started the Low Carb diet you might get it for a while until your liver uses up its' stored glucose.
You could try having a small protein snack like a few nuts or small piece of cheese before you go to bed, some people on here have found it can prevent the liver dump.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Nicksu how are you feeling last time I was that low I felt awful mind you I was just out of hospital and ended up flat out on the bedroom floor, twice.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Welcome back from sunny Mallorca. All the good food has not really affected you fbs very much as it is still within range and not gone over the roof. Well done. Did you do a lot of walking during your vacation or was it just lazing around by the pool or beach? Lots of beer?
Hi @Keesha! I did eat more than usual as I had paid for 'full board' and wanted to get my money's worth! At home I only have one meal in the evening, and maybe a sandwich or snack around midday. But on holiday I was having breakfast, lunch including dessert, and dinner with wine, soup and dessert.
I did have a few pints of beer, but drank red wine with evening meal.
I did expect my fbgs to be higher and was pleasantly surprised to stay around my usual figures. But my weight has gone up by 3 lbs, and my visceral fat reading has gone up from 6-7 to 8. I'll have to work on reducing it again.

I spent most of my days just lying on a sun lounger reading and looking out on a beautiful bay surrounded by mountains. I did walk into and around the walled old town one afternoon, about 10 minutes walk away. And I walked along a coastal path about 2 miles to the next bay and back on another afternoon.
I was intending to walk to some Roman ruins including a small ampitheatre, but it was only open to 3pm and I couldn't get off my sunlounger to get there in time!

Reactions: ickihun and ellagy

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
@Nicksu how are you feeling last time I was that low I felt awful mind you I was just out of hospital and ended up flat out on the bedroom floor, twice.
Felt okay for the most part - bit tired when I was doing my walk to work this morning - but gave myself a treat and actually had a teaspoon of sugar in my coffee. I was surprised it was so low this am since I was a bit naughty last night and had some French stick when I was at the parents (which I don't normally indulge in).

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
20/10 - Morning.

8.3 - today, not feeling so good? :yuck:

Reactions: Tim55

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
11.3this morning. Was 6.4 last night before bed. Been that for three days now... I wonder if I have levelled out!

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
6.3 this morning. Ate a low carb roll yesterday which I made from a recipe from diet doctor. Don't know what I did wrong but they turned out purple and sludgy. Still ate one though. Weird behaviour!!!
I just had two of these for my breakfast.... purple rolls are the biz!!!!!;)

Reactions: debrasue
D

debrasue

I just had two of these for my breakfast.... purple rolls are the biz!!!!!;)
Don't worry @ellagy and @JanetMcDowell - psyllium husks (which give the bread it's purple colour) are used purely for fibre, as they have no other appreciable nutritional value, and the colour doesn't affect the bread. A little less psyllium will reduce the colour.