NEPHROPATHY

Bex4728

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I was recently diagnosed with diabetic Nephropathy (yesterday) I'm not sure what stage I'm at, but it doesn't sound good. Can anyone give me advice or know if sites that may be good to read & research? Thanks bex

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi There @Bex4728
I am tagging @Tanny35 as she has this to live with and is doing a superb job -- hopefully she can come along to offer some support.

welcome to you as well !!!!

Tanny35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there @Bex4728 @himtoo tagged me as I'm in the same boat as u! Hi @himtoo also :) hope u are ok? Not been very active on this for a while to speak to u!

Bex, there are 5 stages of kidney damage the fifth being kidney failure. I am currently in stage 4, and I lead a pretty normal life with it! They will do all they can to slow down progression, usually bp control and good diabetics control can help this as well as ace inhibitors. I'm taking ramipril (I think lots of diabetics are put on this anyway). It did cause a horrible cough for me which took about 2 years to go but they say it's best to persevere if u can!

Do u have any idea what your egfr was? I am assuming if u have had regular blood tests u will be in the early stages of it. Mine was in the 60's in 2011 - and has dropped this year to the 20's but if u haven't been told anything before u will most probs be in the very early stages. U don't really have to watch what u eat from a renal point of view until ur potassium levels raise and creatines etc - it would help if u could find out what ur egfr was
If ever u need a chat please feel free to message me x

Reactions: himtoo

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi there @Bex4728 @himtoo tagged me as I'm in the same boat as u! Hi @himtoo also :) hope u are ok? Not been very active on this for a while to speak to u!
Just curious Tanny35. Were there any warning signs/symptoms or was it one day after getting blood work your health team noticed a problem with your blood readings?

Tanny35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just curious Tanny35. Were there any warning signs/symptoms or was it one day after getting blood work your health team noticed a problem with your blood readings?

It was just after getting blood results! There are no symptoms in the early stages. Symptoms do come in the later stages tho

Bex4728

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Tanny35, my egfr is 60. I have swelled up in my feet & legs and after a trip to GP they did blood tests. I've got a diabetic appointment on 31st Oct so should have more info after then! I've got to admit, I'm pretty nervous and feeling overwhelmed!
I've had diabetes for 20 years and I've been very fortunate not to have any complications to date. Bloods have not been in good control in the past 2/3 years if I'm honest.

Thank you @noblehead, the link was very informative.

Reactions: himtoo

Tanny35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Tanny35, my egfr is 60. I have swelled up in my feet & legs and after a trip to GP they did blood tests. I've got a diabetic appointment on 31st Oct so should have more info after then! I've got to admit, I'm pretty nervous and feeling overwhelmed!
I've had diabetes for 20 years and I've been very fortunate not to have any complications to date. Bloods have not been in good control in the past 2/3 years if I'm honest.

Thank you @noblehead, the link was very informative.

If u get your bgs u der the best control u can and control blood pressure u might be lucky to avoid it progressing! I was in the 60's for almost 5 years - it wasn't until this year my gfr dropped rapidly. And that was due to them taking me off medication and my bgs being extremely erratic. I'm hoping it stabilises now.

The doctor that I first saw in the renal clinic said to me (I was as anxious as u are) she said to me this is not a death sentence. There are so many things we can do to help your kidneys. And said most people live normal lives on dialysis for years. Or can go for the transplant option too. So no matter what u will be ok. I've learnt that we can't change the situation so worrying about it isn't going to help - try stay positive and if ever u need a chat u can message me personally.

I hope ur next appointment Trent goes well and they reassure u a bit