Vegatables!! Likes and dislikes?

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Had this idea because of a comment in What are you doing right now?

What are your favourite vegetables.... and your least favourite?

Mine:

Favs: Sprouts, roast parsnip, roast red onions, cabbage, peas, broad beans, broccoli, cauliflower etc

Non Favs: Asparagus, green beans, sweet potato (bleurgh) not too keen on Butternut Squash but can eat a bit

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Parsnips, turnips, swedes-the vegetable not the people.
Favorites: Baked yam in its jacket, avocado, onion, garlic, pokeweed, greens of almost any kind, brussel sprouts, mild bell peppers, snow peas, pinto beans, black eyed peas

Dislikes: Rutabaga, turnips, rhubarb, starchy squash, hot peppers, overcooked peas

Alba37

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Favorites: Baked yam in its jacket, avocado, onion, garlic, pokeweed, greens of almost any kind, brussel sprouts, mild bell peppers, snow peas, pinto beans, black eyed peas

Dislikes: Rutabaga, turnips, rhubarb, starchy squash, hot peppers, overcooked peas

I haven't tried Yam and I don't know what Pokeweed or Rutabaga is! I'd call rhubarb a fruit, as we only ever eat it with sugar or in a pie!

Alba37

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You learn something new every day! It's a veg but normally prepared as a fruit :) .... now I know!

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I haven't tried Yam and I don't know what Pokeweed or Rutabaga is! I'd call rhubarb a fruit, as we only ever eat it with sugar or in a pie!

Rutabaga is what you call a swede or swedish turnip in the UK, yam is very like a sweet potato only less mealy and more flavor, pokeweed is a native plant we eat here in the spring its texture and looks a lot like asparagus but has its own distinct flavor.

Reactions: Alba37

Alba37

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Rutabaga is what you call a swede or swedish turnip in the UK, yam is very like a sweet potato only less mealy and more flavor, pokeweed is a native plant we eat here in the spring.

Thanks. I like the sound of Yam, I will try it.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just give it a few small air vents like you would for a baked potato with a fork or tip of a paring knife and then bake just like a potato. I take them out when I can smell them from the oven. You can refrigerate the leftovers and make mashed yam with them the next day with butter, salt and black pepper.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Love them, love them, love them:) favs - all above ground especially dark green cabbage. Loath - all below ground - spuds they destroy my BG control

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What we class in the UK as traditional veg I love. There isnt one I dont like. Add into it the more traditional veg from abroad and thats where it gets me. I've never tried any of the squash family - I dont like the smell. Some of the Asian vegetables are hit and miss ie I dont like pak choi or mooli.

And I asked the other day about pumpkin as its in the shops now. Never tried it although I know our friends around the globe enjoy it.

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
What we class in the UK as traditional veg I love. There isnt one I dont like. Add into it the more traditional veg from abroad and thats where it gets me. I've never tried any of the squash family - I dont like the smell. Some of the Asian vegetables are hit and miss ie I dont like pak choi or mooli.

And I asked the other day about pumpkin as its in the shops now. Never tried it although I know our friends around the globe enjoy it.
Pumpkin is a kind of squash. You can slice it open, scoop out the seeds and wash all the orange pulp off then spread the seeds out on a cookie sheet, sprinkle with salt while they're still wet from washing and then bake in the oven at 375 F(Do you guy's use Fahrenheit?, its medium heat) for about 15 minutes or until you begin to smell a nutty smell. They should be golden brown when done, be careful they burn quickly after the golden brown stage.You can also roast the shell after slicing it up and putting pats of butter or olive oil on the inner side. It is a starchy squash and if you are going ultra low carb you probably only want to use the roasted seeds. (There's also pumpkin pie of course that we have for Thanksgiving in November and Christmas dinner-that has a custard made with the pumpkin shell, sugar and spices-much too sweet for everyday eating.)

Last edited:
Reactions: wolfie11969

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
When I was a girl and we had pumpkin to hollow out we threw the hollowed out stuff in the bin, despite times being hard an all. Mum obviously didn't value it as a vegetable!
If I say potato will I be lynched? :joyful:
Yup...and possibly baked boiled and fried :)

Reactions: SWUSA_

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
I like Spuds Carrotts Peas Sweetcorn Cabbage Brocolli Onion Green Beans that's about my limit

Cauliflower Turnip Beetroot Brussel Sprouts vomit

Reactions: SWUSA_

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
If I say potato will I be lynched? :joyful:
No, I love potatoes. New red skinned in their jacket are lower in starch. Have you tried yellow fleshed yukons? or mayan blues?

Reactions: mist

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Mist and ellagy and all! I took some pictures from my garden today for you.
October.jpg

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
This is a mystery vegetable-can anyone identify it?
vegetable 1.jpg

SWUSA_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You have my attention..:D
I posted pictures above for you guys from my garden. Do you want potato recipes or shopping directions?