Type 1: Carb counting apps?

Hippo17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
can anyone recommend a good app on the I phone for carb counting I am new to carb counting my nurse said there are some good apps but she could not give me the names of them

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Google Carbs and Cals

Regards

Martin

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
I think I've only ever used it the once, i find it quicker to pick the book version up.

If i remember correctly you can add your own meals to it with photos.

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I use carbs and cals, find it really good easy to use with pictures of portion size, you can add your own foods, and it keeps a diary of what you eat and daily totals of carbs, fat, calories and protein.

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not the first I've tried, but I'm using myfitnesspal, and it counts both calories and carbs and I'm liking it as I get used to it. I have it on my phone but also use it on my laptop and am in the process of building up the list of all the foods and meals I regularly eat, which makes using the app at a mealtime much slicker.

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Defo carbs n cals thats all ive used.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Hippo17 I use www.weightlossresources.co.uk - whilst it's a paid for service, it has a properly moderated and checked database of fresh and processed foods, and it allows you to combine pretty much anything to make recipes that are fully carb, calorie, protein, etc counted. It isn't an app per se, but it has a mobile web site that works well enough.

It also provides a daily view of all macro-nutrients. It's really useful when following a low carb diet.

@bhaswathy, you seem to have a lot to learn about type 1 diabetes and also diet.

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I use myfitnesspal to look up values, it has a bar code scan feature which I like. I also use mysugr to record doses, readings and it has a nice bolus calculator (I actually couldn't be without this app now!)

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use myfitnesspal, and for the most part it is fine and accurate. But just be aware that some data is user entered - sometimes things will show up as no carbs when you know there are carb (because the user entering the data was only interested in calories) so MFP does sometimes require a sense check.

MFP is good for adding up recipes as well. Scanning the bar code is satisfying - but again sometimes it will decide that the barcode of your pumpkin seed butter is for donuts, or some other food I can't pronounce! So needs a little sense check there too!

Carb & cals is good.

As is just plain googling stuff - brand name food or chain restaurants all have nutritional info online. & if I am eating something that isn't so homogenised I can usually find something vaguely similar to let me makes a best guess.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the carbs and cals book but find quite a few things i eat are not in there so i have to google is but i hate having to do that as i dont weigh anything and have to guess