Type 1s: How badly do moods affect your blood sugars?

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Last night I was quite upset as I had an argument with someone close to me, (we're okay now!!) and I checked my blood sugar and it was 29.1. !!! I was gob smacked!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Chloe high blood sugars go hand in hand with moods so it could of been you been you were already going high before this. I get very irritable when my bg goes high :confused:

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Last night I was quite upset as I had an argument with someone close to me, (we're okay now!!) and I checked my blood sugar and it was 29.1. !!! I was gob smacked!
I've had similar experiences in the past - when I'm really grouchy my spouse tells me to test myself - In my experience High Blood Sugars definitely affect behaviour. It was a good thing you caught your BG readings before going to bed.

So did you give more insulin to get it down? :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'd say that it's the inverse in my experience. Glucose levels drive moods for most T1s, rather than moods driving glucose levels...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My moods affect my sugars and my sugars affect my mood lol i tend to find its a no win situation :$

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would like to add when i get stressed my sugars go so high i mostly get the HI message but can occasionally send me hypo too xx

Hi, (no pun intended.)

The "hi message" normally means anything over 33Mmol on a standard meter?
It's a fair comment that the "fight or flight" involved with certain stress can put one up by a couple of "clicks" with a liver dump. However. Reviewing how you manage your BS so it don't swing, may help with an overall calmer you if & when stressful situations arise..?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, (no pun intended.)

The "hi message" normally means anything over 33Mmol on a standard meter?
It's a fair comment that the "fight or flight" involved with certain stress can put one up by a couple of "clicks" with a liver dump. However. Reviewing how you manage your BS so it don't swing, may help with an overall calmer you if & when stressful situations arise..?
Yeah i know my new metre only goes to 28 i think and my life is always very stressful to be fair and yes i dont manage my diabetes well at all i am a very very bad diabetic. reading peoples levels on here it looks like you are all very good with your control and i am most definitely not so maybe not the place for me x

Reactions: himtoo

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah i know my new metre only goes to 28 i think and my life is always very stressful to be fair and yes i dont manage my diabetes well at all i am a very very bad diabetic. reading peoples levels on here it looks like you are all very good with your control and i am most definitely not so maybe not the place for me x

Hi,

No criticism of your good self! There's no such thing as a "bad diabetic" in my book..
We're all here to glean info from eachother to stay steady through personal experience...

This is the place for you!

If I had it totally sorted i wouldn't be here.. ;) I've had 40 years of D thinking time. & a lot can change in 10? Or even 3. Stress comes in different flavours.. It also comes & goes.

Being ready for it helps with the damage limitation.. :)

Reactions: himtoo and azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

This is the place for you as much as any other Type 1 :) Please don't think we're all perfect - we're not. Everyone has bad days and everyone understands what living with Type 1 is like. It's hard!

Your experience and your views are just as welcome as anyone else's here. We're a diverse community and there's a place here for you if you want it :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a very bad diabetic normally i do my lantus and that's it never do any rapid at all and lucky if i test my sugars twice a year... I am doing all insulin and testing 4 or 5 times a day at the mo but it wont last long its only coz i got stuck in hospital withvery bad kidney infection and trialing the freestyle libre so 2 weeks with some control is about all i will do as i cant afford the sensors

M

mist

NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS! WHAT IS THIS THE SPANISH INQUISITION..

..GRRRR..

:p I definitely notice the higher my levels, the worse my mood.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am a very bad diabetic normally i do my lantus and that's it never do any rapid at all and lucky if i test my sugars twice a year... I am doing all insulin and testing 4 or 5 times a day at the mo but it wont last long its only coz i got stuck in hospital withvery bad kidney infection and trialing the freestyle libre so 2 weeks with some control is about all i will do as i cant afford the sensors

Can I ask why that is - missing your fast acting insulin? Is it because you don't like carb counting, etc? Lack of time? Hating it in general? For other reasons?

You don't have to answer that if you don't want to : )

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
this is deffo the place for you-- welcome aboard --- !!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I dont mind answering anything i am very open and honest... There are many reasons: takes too much time, hate needles, painfulish, haye too much routine, hate carb counting, hate having to test my sugars as that is painful aand time consuming, i wont weigh any food i cook and i always make all food myself from scratch, i love my freedom and diabetes takes that away from me, hate putting on weight.... And many more that slip my mind right now lol

Reactions: himtoo
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess even after 15yrs of being diabetic i would accept it but i cant i rather die younger and live happy and free than stuck in a cage adding years to a life i feel i really dont want to live

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS! WHAT IS THIS THE SPANISH INQUISITION..

..GRRRR..
I definitely notice the higher my levels, the worse my mood.
Are you saying your sugars are high now then lol
Please dont be offended im only joking around just made me laugh reading your comment

Reactions: mist

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I dont mind answering anything i am very open and honest... There are many reasons: takes too much time, hate needles, painfulish, haye too much routine, hate carb counting, hate having to test my sugars as that is painful aand time consuming, i wont weigh any food i cook and i always make all food myself from scratch, i love my freedom and diabetes takes that away from me, hate putting on weight.... And many more that slip my mind right now lol

Wow. That's a fair old list to address... But at the risk of sounding like a "brutal" ****?. I love my freedom too! But continuing the "lifestyle" in w wheelchair with limited eyesight & a sheet load of dialysis appointments to attend? It's worth the compromise in the long run with the trade off with D managment...

Reactions: azure
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Be an **** all you like lol and for me yes coz at least i really lived my life and stupidly i can accept all that will come to me for it lol yet i cannot accept the diabetes how bad is that lol