Shredded Wheat whole grain For Breakfast

spitfire1

Hi every one who read this to help me with my Question
does any one know that Shrdded wheat whole grain makes your blood rise like this morning my blood was 5.5 and just before my lunch was 13.3 with nothing to eat ???? I will try porridge tomw but can any one help me with any other idea please or has any one experience this as well with Shredded wheat whole grain ?????

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I would imagine yes, but it depends on how many you eat. Try them again, but this time just have 1 shredded wheat with some seeds like sunflower, pumpkin or linseed's, and also try adding some berries such as blueberries. The only way of knowing what impact cereals have on blood glucose is by testing on the 1,2 ans 4 hour mark.

Nigel

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hi spitfire1,

My best advice would be to take two Shredded Wheat and perch them on top of your cooker. From there they'll be able to watch you cook yourself a nice mushroom omelette for your breakfast.

Hope you have some better luck with the porridge.

Regards,
timo.

Reactions: 2 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The glycemic index ranks how fast (and high) blood sugar rises after a meal. The higher the number, the more effect it is likely to have on your blood glucose. Pure glucose has a gi of 100.

When shredded wheat was tested on a group of Canadian diabetics it had a gi of 83 which is very high (very near to ordinary cornflakes in the same test). The breakfast cereal with the lowest gi on that test was All Bran.

Nigels suggestions might help lower it at bit.
Porridges vary, and can be low gi; try to choose one thats not too fine,(jumbo oats) as with the last post adding a few berries and some nuts which can help lower gi. Take care to weigh the portion and test Many people do have problems with breakfast, there are lots of posts on it.

Cowboyjim

We all seem to have to go through the rite of passage of what to start the day with. This serves to point up how things just aren't what they seem. The TV ads sing the praises of SW but tho they might be good for 'norms' they ain't for us!
I have a little porridge some days replete with berries and almonds (side order) maybe lemon juice too.
Other days it's omlette with meat, cheese and veg.
In between it's 'baked bean soup'... with added veg (onions, mushrooms, beansprouts, broc, cauli, celery, etc) cheese and spices... esp garlic. Sometimes a little slice of toast or spelt cracker to dip in. Or wholewheat noodles sprinkled in.
By testing these usually don't take me over 5-ish 2 h later.
To put the braces on I do 10 mins on the XT if there's time.
ATB 8)

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
I don't eat shredded wheat, but do have two Weetabix for breakfast. It doesn't seem to make my BG high. Weetabix is good if you need the extra fibre in your diet.
Lizis granola is supposed to be good, I bought a packet the other day, but not got around to trying it out yet.
http://www.lizis.co.uk/index.php/products

John aka Wallycorker

spitfire1 said:
Hi every one who read this to help me with my Question
does any one know that Shrdded wheat whole grain makes your blood rise like this morning my blood was 5.5 and just before my lunch was 13.3 with nothing to eat ???? I will try porridge tomw but can any one help me with any other idea please or has any one experience this as well with Shredded wheat whole grain ?????
Hi spitfire1 - Yes. I could have told you that is what was likely to happen because it happened to me too. Porridge did that to me too! I don't eat either of them these days.

You can find details here of what I do eat since I sorted my blood glucose control out:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13750

Best wishes - John

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The thing with cereals is the milk you have it with. Most milk (skimmed/semi-skimmed/whole) is around 9% carbohydrate. That's quite high. The benefit of having whole milk is that the fat in the milk may slow down the absorbtion of the carbs.

I've never got on well with breakfast cereal. Shame - cos I love it! Especially Fruit n' Fibre, Bran Flakes & Special K. I only ever have it as an extra special treat...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Patch said:
The thing with cereals is the milk you have it with. Most milk (skimmed/semi-skimmed/whole) is around 9% carbohydrate. That's quite high. The benefit of having whole milk is that the fat in the milk may slow down the absorbtion of the carbs.

I've never got on well with breakfast cereal. Shame - cos I love it! Especially Fruit n' Fibre, Bran Flakes & Special K. I only ever have it as an extra special treat...

I use the smallest splash of milk on my All-bran, but also include 3 tablespoons of low-fat natural yogurt too, this keeps the texture nice and moist.

Nigel

bedshaped2000

ditch the weetabix shredded wheat and porridge. all were giving me great 2 hour blood readings but when i did 1 hour checks wow wee double figures. try lizis granola ive never looked back. although the others are low in sugar look at the carb content, and remember carb = glucose when it goes in to your tummy :(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
bedshaped2000 said:
ditch the weetabix shredded wheat and porridge. all were giving me great 2 hour blood readings but when i did 1 hour checks wow wee double figures. try lizis granola ive never looked back. although the others are low in sugar look at the carb content, and remember carb = glucose when it goes in to your tummy :(

Everyone says lizis granola is a good breakfast cereal that is kind afterwards to bg's, I haven't tried it yet, but shall get round to trying it soon. I eat my all-bran on a morning and can stay well below 7 on the 1 hour mark, and usually down to the late 5's by the 2 hour mark. Its worth remembering, that different cereals will have a different impact on each of us, according to how we manage our diabetes (insulin, tablets and exercise) as well as how fast our bodies break the food down. We are all individuals, what works for one, may not work for another and vise versa.

As I said earlier, the only way you'll know is by testing your bg on the 1,2 and 4 hour mark.

Nigel

spitfire1

Good morning Every one Thanks alot with your post about my Breakfast mael i have tryed soya and linsees bran and hope this may be better for me yesterday blood sugar reading before breakfast was 3.4 and afther 4 hours it was 7.2 so a bit better then 13-3 lol with the shredded wheat with me i am only 9st 2 and do not want to lose no more weight so its a bit harder for me what i eat once again thank you LOT Ian in Essex xxxxxxxxxxx :p

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
timo2 said:
Hi spitfire1,

Hope you have some better luck with the porridge.

Regards,
timo.

Did some mention porridge??? :wink:

Don't forget to add a generous sprinkling of cinammon powder. Tastes great and definately helps to minimise the spike in your BG afterwards.

Also, if you are not on meds, try drinking the juice of a freshly squeezed pink grapefruit immediately afterwards too. :D

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
noblehead said:
Everyone says lizis granola is a good breakfast cereal that is kind afterwards to bg's, I haven't tried it yet, but shall get round to trying it soon.

As I said earlier, the only way you'll know is by testing your bg on the 1,2 and 4 hour mark.

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

I've tried the Lizi's Granola recently too. It's very tasty, a bit expensive.......but I never bothered checking my BG afterwards. :oops:

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
bedshaped2000 said:

Same with me I had similar problems with BG after 2 hrs OK at 1hr :evil: I can't touch cereals full stop, unfortunately even the granola sends me in into double BG numbers at 1hr after. I'm not alone many T2s have a problem metabolising carbs in morning. My meter is now my best friend thats the only way to determine what affects you.

This is an excellent resource for blood sugar targets.

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045621.php

Regards
Graham

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi once again Ian,

I forgot to mention in my previous posts, another thing that is invaluable when eating breakfast cereals is a good set of scales. Most average portions on cereal boxes are 40g, but It is surprising how many people think that they are eating this size portion, but are in fact eating double. Last year I bought a set of digital weighing scales, and weighing a 40g portion out in a bowl isn't a lot, I eat a 25g portion which is quite small, but include seeds and berries to bulk this out.

So, if you don't weigh already, it may be worth investing in a good set of digital scales, and you never know you may well get a surprise. :D

Nigel

Cowboyjim

Digital scales? Great idea! Must be accurate enough for this kind of simple job. Another expense for us beleaguered T2s! Not av on free presc I suppose? 8)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Cowboyjim said:
Digital scales? Great idea! Must be accurate enough for this kind of simple job. Another expense for us beleaguered T2s! Not av on free presc I suppose? 8)

No I'm afraid not Jim! :(

They are quite cheap to buy now, I only paid £10 for mine.

Nigel

bedshaped2000

£10 on amazon and they go up to 1000g. very samll and discreet i take mine when i go out for dinner to cut away at the 280 g jacket potato they give me lol :lol:

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
I've been wondering why BS has recently soared - mini wholewheat shreddies seems to be the reason - I was lulled into false sense of security by lowish sugars and 'wholewheat', which I now know is little better than white grain. It is wholegrain that is less antagonistic to BS - I think. Hubby can finish them - he's not diabetic

Sent from my SM-N910F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app