LCHF for t1

sklane11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone else had good results trying out a low carb diet to help control blood sugars? Just thought I'd share this - I've tried for 5 days really watching my carb intake, and I've had the best blood sugars I've had in - well, since I can remember!

88eb7a5964aafbf73107123347e819ff.jpg

I've written a bit about it here http://www.sssweeeet.wordpress.com but I guess the main question is whether it's sustainable in the long term or not. would be interested to hear people's thoughts!

Reactions: robert72

Rosco55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi sklane11 low carbs approach works for me. Lower levels of novarapid minimises liklihood of error. Still require 85 g CHO per hour for road & track cycling.... Then adjust insulin accordingly.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone else had good results trying out a low carb diet to help control blood sugars? Just thought I'd share this - I've tried for 5 days really watching my carb intake, and I've had the best blood sugars I've had in - well, since I can remember!

88eb7a5964aafbf73107123347e819ff.jpg

I've written a bit about it here http://www.sssweeeet.wordpress.com but I guess the main question is whether it's sustainable in the long term or not. would be interested to hear people's thoughts!

Hi,

Tthe numbers looked great! Keeping the basal rate right & the bolus dosage to a minimum means for me I can recover & move on from a hypo (if it occurs?) with the minimal amount of fuss..
On a higher "normal" carb diet? Even with the right amount of bolus, the insulin profile don't always match the digestive profile of the food?
Yeah. It can be sustainable in the long term.. More sustainable or predictable than the "pinball wizard" BS of a non bespoke eat to the doseage..

Reading your blog. I feel insulin sensitivity to the Lantus may have increased during the morning shower. Thus the hypo...
It happens to me!

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We low carb with our 5 year old type 1 daughter, we do it as a family, so her twin sister and little brother low carb too. I feel it's sustainable, we're coming up to a year of eating this way, and it feels easy and 'normal' now. The kids have no idea they're low carbing!

A

asparagusp

We low carb with our 5 year old type 1 daughter, we do it as a family, so her twin sister and little brother low carb too. I feel it's sustainable, we're coming up to a year of eating this way, and it feels easy and 'normal' now. The kids have no idea they're low carbing!

Strange how her twin sister isn't diabetic. Are they identical?

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They're non-identical, but even if they were identical there's every chance one could get it and not the other. I think it's a combination of genetic and environmental triggers that causes type one.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!
I've been low carb (20 or less per day) for over twenty five years, long before I was diabetic. Very sustainable. My BS and stomach love it. I mostly eat above ground veggies, moderate amounts of a variety of proteins and healthy fats. An avocado a day (split between 3 meals) olive oil and some nuts and seeds. I pretty much follow bernsteins recommendations and laws of small numbers. Small meals, small insulin doses and small spikes. Works for me! Very rare to have any real hypo or large spike.

I too found it impossible to eat normal amounts of carbs and get the insulin there at the same time so hypos and hypers followed a lot of the time. Not fun for me.

So yes, for me it's very sustainable

sklane11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all! Glad that so many have found it helpful - and glad to hear that it can be sustainable! I will keep going with it

Reactions: Sweetheart66

Craig88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What is classed as a low carb diet? How much carbs are you eating a day? I'm currently trying to reduce my carb intake 100-150 just now

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I used tp be 28-60 per day for pretty much all my diabetic life.
It doesb't do anything for dawn or waking phenomenon -lol!! Always had that but my bloods have been good for 30+ years. Only
thing is at times bloods have been too low.... almoost lost my licence a few years back.
I'm pretty much the same nowadays but I have to add in a smoothie each day and these generally come in around 27g...
Today will be 40 carbs including a spinach/fruit mix smoothie.

It may have looked after my diabetes but honestly I don't know if it has done me well for my overall health as I have chronic colon and stomach problems... but these only started afterbI was advised for a while to eat more carbs such as bread and porridge....

I am OTT on watching my vitamin and nutrient intake because now with colon and stomach probs I have a very, very limited diet. I have to supplement a lot-but I am certainly living proof that some supplements like d3, calcium, magnesium work. (I take many more!!)

What caused stomach probs? Who knows? Could it have been the lower carbs or all of a sudden eating extra carbs? Or just my body?

The only time I've varied weight wise was eating high carbs. I was always a size 8-10.. until those carbs were advised and I went up to a 12-14. Hubby used to say "its because you aren't working or active so much" but it wan't. After cancer last year and stomach/colon probs I have certainly been a lot less active.. and barely a size 8.....

I think it is the best way of eating.. but I do wonder how much is down to the fact that the food isn't processed....minimising processed rubbish like crisps, bread etc has got to be beneficial to the body. Tgere's so many additives and preservatives in food. I still think the cleaner we eat the better.

Less, carbs, less insulin, less errors...

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What is classed as a low carb diet? How much carbs are you eating a day? I'm currently trying to reduce my carb intake 100-150 just now

Don't look at it as a certain amount of grams but a % of your daily calories. Below 20% i would personally consider low carb.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with others that LCHF is sustainable. I've being doing 50g carbs max per day for about 30 months, and I won't return to my old way of eating, because now I feel a lot better, more energetic, I don't want to snack and I don't mind intermittent fasting -it can even be quite convenient. As others have said, the main benefit is lower doses of Bolus insulin which helps to reduce error and keep me on an even keel. People need to make up their own minds about this in consultation perhaps with their clinic, but it has become clear to me that zapping a high-carb diet (eg the NHS and generally promoted food pyramid) with high doses of insulin is not the answer for T1s

Reactions: CathP