Type 1: Problems with prescriptions for test strips

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The use of CGM type systems tends to change thing dramatically. In the last two months I've used a grand total of about 130 strips. Prior to using CGM I was testing 10 times a day and using over 300 a month.

But you are allowed as many as you need.

HoneyBea

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I can get 200 on prescription every month - they didn't bat an eyelid when I asked them to double my previous amount. Now I've got the Libre though I'm finding I'm not needing to order test strips as often as I used to!
Hi @Snapsy, I've seen the Libre mentioned on here a few times now. Can someone explain what is it and if it's worth getting one?
thanks

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
If you use it full time then it is about £100 a month running costs
I use it when I'm basal testing or if having control problems

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You don't have to use the Libre all the time, each sensor should last up to 14days, ~£50 a piece (you can tick the VAT exemption box!) you can buy the reader which is also a blood glucose and ketone tester, for which your GP can prescribe the strips for (!? as many as you NEED lol) - many diabetes clinics have some readers and sensors given to them by Abbot ask yours if they have any (free!).

If you have a compatible Android phone you can use an app and the NFC of the phone to scan the sensors, saves another £50 on the reader (if you had to buy one).

Been warned there is one major issue with the Libre.............once you've used one you'll want more!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Been warned there is one major issue with the Libre.............once you've used one you'll want more!
Absolutely right!

@HoneyBea there are loads of threads on the forum about the Libre, including lots of reports of user experiences - you'll get a really good idea if what it's like to use and its benefits and drawbacks - but my own experience is that using it in addition to blood glucose testing has improved my diabetes life immeasurably.

:happy:

djamieson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Has anybody come up against problems with being prescribed test strips for your glucose monitor machine? I'm newly diagnosed and the DN told me to test as often as I need but at least four times a day. Problem is that I'm using around 7-8 a day currently (some give a fault error and have to be discarded) and they are supplied in boxes of 50. I just put a new prescription in and they tell me that I can't have anymore as they were only prescribed about a week ago. Anyone else had similar experiences?
Bea
Dear bunny bee I have on the odd occasion run out of sticks but have gone to chemist who has used an emergency prescription to give me a tub of sticks until I get repeat prescriptio sent to chemist to be collected when they go in to chemist hope this helps Davie

jharding

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anybody come up against problems with being prescribed test strips for your glucose monitor machine? I'm newly diagnosed and the DN told me to test as often as I need but at least four times a day. Problem is that I'm using around 7-8 a day currently (some give a fault error and have to be discarded) and they are supplied in boxes of 50. I just put a new prescription in and they tell me that I can't have anymore as they were only prescribed about a week ago. Anyone else had similar experiences?
Bea
Your doctors practice should know better. As a newly-diagnosed T1 you will need to test more regularly anyway as you adjust your basal amounts, bolus ratios, etc. Sure, a Freestyle Libre (if you have one) will help you but finger prick testing is the only way to be certain as CGMs are never THAT accurate.

As @catapillar details, there are plenty of times you need to test. If you drive to drop off/pick the kids up from school or go to work, then that's two tests done as being legally mandated by the DVLA. Add in three meals a day and the 2/2.5 hour check afterwards and already you are on eight before doing anything else like sleep, exercise or having a hypo/hyper.

We used to get some friction getting test strips for my daughter. They would only let us have them in batches of fifty and we were going through them every 5-6 days. And they got obstinate with me when I was putting in repeats every few days. So we got our DSN to write to them and now we get four boxes of 50 at a time. I'm allowed three boxes at a time.