Type 2 - Diet that is working well for me

John aka Wallycorker

This post describes the diet that I've adopted over the last eighteen months to successfully deal with my non-insulin dependent Type 2 diabetes which is still being treated with metformin.

I'm a sixty-six-years old non-insulin dependent Type 2 on metformin only. I was diagnosed over nine years ago in the very early stages with a fasting level just over 7 and HbA1c of only 5.7%. My situation slowly progressed - i.e. deteriorated - for eight years by following the "do not test" and "eat plenty of starchy carbohydrate" advice usually given to Type 2s. Eventually, my HbA1c reached 9.4% and my GP prescribed metformin - and then very soon after doubled the dosage.

At that stage and against my doctor’s advice, I started to test and by doing that soon came to understand the effect that different foods had on my blood glucose levels. By using that information and gradually changing my diet over the last eighteen months, I have fully reversed my Type 2 diabetic situation. Today, all my numbers are better than they were at diagnosis - in most of the cases by a massive amount. If I went to the doctor today then by the most-commonly-used diagnostic tests - fasting blood glucose levels or HbA1c - they would say that I did not have diabetes.

Basically, the main thing that I've done is to cut out almost all the starchy carbohydrates - e.g. cereals, bread, potatoes mainly but I'm also very careful with rice and pasta too. In my opinion this has been by far and away the main reason for my dramatic improvement in blood glucose levels.

My HbA1c has dropped from a high of 9.4% to in the 5s the last five tests - and a lowest-ever of 5.1% last time. I'm hoping to take it below 5 very soon.

I have described below the diet that I've basically settled down to eating. This diet wasn't adopted overnight and isn't something that I've read about. My current diet developed slowly by testing - to see what effect different foods had on my blood glucose levels - and then slowly adjusting my diet accordingly. My current typical eating and drinking patterns are as follows:

Breakfast

Usually grilled (but sometimes fried) bacon, tomatoes and mushrooms - sometimes an egg too.

- Or, mushroom, bacon, cheese omelette.

- Or, if I ever eat cereals instead then it's always Lizi's granola (low-GI nut-based) these days. I eat no other kind of cereal whatsoever these days – not even porridge.

- Or, occasionally, low-fat natural yoghurt with berry fruits instead.

I never eat bread or any other cereals except Lizi's granola at breakfast – and certainly no porridge.

Lunch

Almost always meat (usually ham or chicken) or fish or low-fat cottage cheese with a big salad (lettuce, spring onions, peppers, radishes, celery, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, with a few grapes or chopped apple) - with a small amount of linseed/flax seeds added - plus a dressing made with olive oil and apple cider vinegar.

No bread or potatoes – except very occasionally and – if I do - only a very small amount.

If I'm in a pub situation then I usually eat beef or gammon steak with vegetables - sometimes with a few chips. Salads are another very good option too when eating out.

Evening Meal

Meat (usually chicken) or fish with various vegetables - sometimes as a stew type meal.

Sometimes I eat low-GI type brown rice or spelt or pulse pasta or something similar.

I’ve recently started to substitute cauliflower for potatoes to make such things as cauli-mash cottage pie, or cauli-rice type dishes. I’ve found that such dishes give very good post-meal blood-glucose readings. Cauliflower is a great substitute for potatoes.

Never any bread or potatoes - or anything like pizza, naan bread, chapattis or suchlike even if I'm in a restaurant - except very occasionally. If I do eat any of these foods it would only be a very small amount – a piece.

Snacks

I eat fruit throughout the day and every day - loads of it - as well-spaced-out snacks - never as part of another meal apart from where shown above - I pick the smallest pieces of fruit that I can find and eat all the following every day usually sometimes more than one of each (but never at the same time) - apples, pears, satsumas, plums frequently - and occasionally, bananas, kiwis, peaches or grapes. I fill my pockets with fruit whenever I leave the house and eat it as I move about. However, a word of warning about fruit, quite a lot of people with diabetes tell me that fruit causes their blood glucose to rise to high levels so, if eating fruit, people need to test to establish what it does to their levels.

The rest of the time, I nibble at small portions of:

A small amount (around 20g) of mixed nuts and dried fruit - usually every day.

Low-fat yoghurts - most popular Muller Light but others too.

Low-fat cheese - with one or two oatcakes or Ryvita Thins.

Tesco Light cottage cheese with pineapple.

Oily fish - rich in omega-3 types - sardines, mackerels etc.

Pickles - beetroot, cucumber, onions, red cabbage etc.

Cherry tomatoes

Cold vegetables if there are any in the fridge.

Ice cream is just about my only weakness and very occasionally, I eat an ice cream cone. I stress very occasionally.

In general, I never eat packets of crisps, buns, biscuits, sweets, chocolate, cake and suchlike on a regular basis. On vary rare occasions indeed, I might eat one biscuit or one small piece of chocolate – I stress this would be on very rare occasions indeed. I might have a few crisps or small piece of cake or bun in a buffet situation.

Alcohol

I used to drink a lot of alcohol but these days drink very little (about five units a week and certainly less than ten) - mainly the odd glass of red wine or sometimes a small whisky. Very rarely, I will have a little more red wine on a special occasion when out for the evening and I'm not driving. These days, I rarely ever drink alcohol in the house even though my wife and family do. I must say, it wasn't always like that!

Other Drinks

Various teas (spiced, earl gray, redbush etc, etc) and coffee (mainly decaffeinated but not always) all black with a sweetener - I try to vary the drinks depending on the time of day.

If I ever do use milk - e.g. with Lizi's granola or in drinks - it is always the 0.75% or 1% fat milk types.

I drink sparkling bottled water or just plain old simple tap water by the pint with my evening meal.

Very, very occasionally these days I might drink a Tango Zero or sometimes Tesco’s diet ginger beer.

I never drink fruit juice or non-Zero drinks and only very rarely any beer or lager these days

Supplements

I’ve never been a person for taking supplements but these days I’ve started to use the following on a daily basis:

- a multivitamin tablet once per day
- an omega-3 one capsule once per day
- an apple cider vinegar tablet last thing at night
- Occasional, use of cinnamon (sprinkling on foods, in teas etc)

Weight Loss & Exercise

By the way, I'm still calorie counting because I still want to lose more than the 5 stone that I've lost already. I'm intent to take my BMI to below 25 - i.e. into the normal weight band - I'm almost at that stage with a BMI of around 28 - down from BMI 40. I might take it as low as a BMI of 22.5 - i.e. my supposed "ideal weight" as defined by the health people. These days I'm eating around 1,300 to 1,500 calories per day most days and occasionally (about once a week just a little more). Despite that, I never feel hungry!

I don't put very much of my improvement in blood glucose readings - if any at all - down to my loss in weight. Why not? Quite simply because the lowering of blood glucose levels came about immediately that I started to change my diet - i.e. in days or weeks. I say this because I found that I didn't have to wait until I'd lost a lot of weight before I got my improvement and that may help to motivate others who find losing weight to be difficult. In my opinion and in my case, I consider that it was the dietary change that was most important - i.e. mainly the cutting back dramatically on my starchy carbohydrate intake which led to my improvement.

In addition, I do very little exercise and when I do it's nothing other than just ordinary walking - just a very occasional two to three mile easy walking – and nothing severe. I really ought to try to do much more exercise for my general health and well-being. The effect of exercise on lowering blood glucose levels is something that I’m trying to test out and experimenting with to try to establish how effective this might be in improving my control still further.

I think that covers just about everything. I hope that other people with non-insulin dependent Type 2 diabetes might find this detailed summary of my current eating habits useful and that my experience might be helpful to them in dealing with getting control of their own Type 2 situations.

If anyone has any further questions then feel free to get in touch.

Best wishes – John

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Hi John,

Great to see your regime is working.

My regime is more or less along the same lines as your own, but I do still eat porridge, but now always add a healthy sprinkling of cinammon PLUS I drink the juice of a freshly squeezed grapefruit immediately afterwards to combat the "spike effect" I know from previous experience that porridge causes with my BG.

I believe that low carbing really works too. Even if, like me, you are not religious about measuring your carb intake or weighing portion sizes etc. Just following the general principle has resulted in immediate health benefits for me.

I've also just posted a similar feedback post on the forum that others may find useful to read too:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13751

How is your petition coming along John?

John aka Wallycorker

Ardbeg said:
...........PLUS I drink the juice of a freshly squeezed grapefruit immediately afterwards to combat the "spike effect" I know from previous experience that porridge causes with my BG.........

Take care with grapefruit if they have you on statins like me because if you are you aren't supposed to have grapefruit.

Ardbeg said:
.........I believe that low carbing really works too. Even if, like me, you are not religious about measuring your carb intake or weighing portion sizes etc. Just following the general principle has resulted in immediate health benefits for me.............

I too believe in the benefits of carbohydrate management to deal with controlling diabetes. However, I'm nowhere near what people would call low-carb because I'm still eating usually between 100g and 200g in a daily diet of 1300 to 1500 calories - i.e. 40 to 50% of my calories coming from carbohydrate. That's quite normal from what I have read. Importantly, the carbohydrate that I do eat these days is almost entirely from fruit and vegetables and hardly any at all from starchy carbohydrates - i.e. I've virtually cut out all cereals, bread and potatoes - and very little rice or pasta too.[/quote]

Ardbeg said:
How is your petition coming along John?

It's doing nicely - Thanks! Importantly it's quite a long way past the number of supporters needed to ensure that the Government needs to give an official response. However, any additional supporters would be welcome. Here is the link if anyone else would like to help.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Diabetes-Advice/

Good luck and best wishes - John

Cowboyjim

Dear John
Thought you would have got more replies to your lengthy and very helpful listing. Should be a sticky - would have helped me so much 7 months ago. I have kind of worked my way round to following a very similar regimen. Not quite so stringent wrt to the starchy stuff. It's more difficult when you are in a family with 3 non-DMs.
I try to do more exercise and I still take mets but not the hefty dose they gave me before.
I suspect the powers that be always assume you won't stick to any diet so load you up just to be sure.
When I got my last Hba1c it was good and in the review the DN straight away said "oh, that will be the metformin" same for my cholesterol - "that'll be the statins"... hmm, grrr. No word about diet.
Others might read your list and see it as some kind of divine punishment. All the good stuff is off-limits. No wonder few people follow it and/or rely on tabs.
ATB 8)

John aka Wallycorker

Cowboyjim said:
.......... No wonder few people follow it and/or rely on tabs.........
Hi ATB,

I'm not sure that relying on tablets will work in the longer - or even medium - term. Certainly, they weren't doing much for me - in fact, I seemed to be well on the way to needing to inject insulin. I seem a million miles away from needing insulin these days.

In fact, I'm more expecting that my GP will agree to taking me off all the medications - i.e. metformin, simvastatin and the blood pressure medications too - ramipril and bisoprolol. If my GP does that and I get to an HbA1c of 4.5% then I'll consider that I've got to where I want to be.

Whether it will be the same forever then I don't know but I'll certainly have given it my best shot.

Cowboyjim

Cheers.... BTW I wrote 'ATB' as short for 'all the best'... I pick up this lingo from my teenage kids... I'm really called Roy... I think we PM'd a while back because I was intrigued about your BP success.

I really can't imagine my GP saying I can go off the tabs. Every time I go in to see her the BP rockets up so she thinks I'm staying on the pills... we'll see.

Maybe I might experiment leaving off the met for a week and seeing how bad the BG readings get. I have never been off them all the time I have been self-testing and doing the Hba1c. I seldom get weird feelings that one is supposed to get with DM so I wonder.... but I am slightly underweight if anything and keep away from all the bad stuff. Part of me doesn't want to risk it tho.
TTFN 8)

DazG

As a recently diagnosed type 2 can the more experienced here tell me if this type of diet is healthy enough to also get some decent weight loss? Im only a little overweight but would be grateful for the advice as I not only want to keep my BS down, id like to lose some of the excess weight I have.

John aka Wallycorker

Cowboyjim said:
Cheers.... BTW I wrote 'ATB' as short for 'all the best'... I pick up this lingo from my teenage kids... I'm really called Roy... I think we PM'd a while back because I was intrigued about your BP success.

I really can't imagine my GP saying I can go off the tabs. Every time I go in to see her the BP rockets up so she thinks I'm staying on the pills... we'll see.

Maybe I might experiment leaving off the met for a week and seeing how bad the BG readings get. I have never been off them all the time I have been self-testing and doing the Hba1c. I seldom get weird feelings that one is supposed to get with DM so I wonder.... but I am slightly underweight if anything and keep away from all the bad stuff. Part of me doesn't want to risk it tho.
TTFN 8)
Hi TTFN - Sorry Roy, :lol:

I don't know how my GP will feel about coming off the medications. However, my blood glucose levels really have become very low and are quite often below 4 and as low as 3.2. Also, my blood pressure is low too averaging around 105/60. In addition, total cholesterol was low a year ago at 3.1. Because of these levels, I'll be asking him about at least trying to come off the medications. Certainly, I wouldn't mess about with them without at least discussing it with him first.

I do know someone who posts on another forum and she maintains her HbA1c in the mid 4s. She found no increase in her blood glucose levels when she came off the metformin. She takes nothing these days.

John aka Wallycorker

DazG said:
As a recently diagnosed type 2 can the more experienced here tell me if this type of diet is healthy enough to also get some decent weight loss? Im only a little overweight but would be grateful for the advice as I not only want to keep my BS down, id like to lose some of the excess weight I have.
Hi DazG,

As far as weight loss is concerned I count calories to do that. However, the diet that I've adopted has been over a period where I've lost over 5 stones and I'm still losing weight slowly. Almost into the normal range now from the top end of the obese band with BMI just below 40 when I started.

brill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Country & Western!
John,
That was a really good post - gave me some pointers. I am interested that you don't get hungry.
I follow a similar sort of diet, although I have to watch the fruit a bit, and have lost 3 stone, but I'm almost permanently hungry, especially when I've been exercising! I do quite a lot of exercise, walking about 20 miles (half of it uphill) a week, but I keep undoing my good work by stuffing my face when I get home.
Any ideas?

John aka Wallycorker

Hi Brill,

All I can say is that I think the appetite adjusts gradually and the need to be eating all the time gets less.

As I think I say in my post, I don't do a great deal of exercise myself. Nothing more severe than walking on the flat a bit and in small doses. I do far too little exercise really.

Fruit is great for me as a snack because I've found by testing that it doesn't do hardly anything at all to my blood glucose levels. However, I do buy the very smallest pieces of fruit that I can find in the supermarket. Also, usually I never eat more than one piece of fruit within one hour of the last.

dollydreamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tories
hi john
it was really uplifting to read your post, i'm just starting out on this road, i'm young too only 49 but i'm determined and also i have an eating disorder - binge eating - have used food in the wrong way for years but am starting to deal with all these issues and your post has given me hope that i can do something, that i have the power to change things for myself. its been really helpful. good luck to both of us.

John aka Wallycorker

Hi dollydreamer - It's good to meet you!

Glad that you find the post of some relevance and hope that you might find something useful in it.

I've bordered on binge eating - and drinking - myself at times. I've always said that I never really felt hungry yet never felt full - I could go very long times without food but on others I could eat very large amounts. Most people don't even rcognise that as a possibility but for me it has been. I think that may have been my main problem. My wife says I'm weird amongst other names that she calls me! :lol:

Certainly, I have no such problems with binge eating or drinking these days.

Moreover, it sounds as though you may have come to a crossroads and are setting off down the right track. Please keep us all updated on your progress - I'd always be interested to hear how you are doing. Rest assured that if you set about things in a dertermined fashion and just keep working at it. You'll get to where you want to be - just keep making small changes for the better. Go for it!

If someone had told me eighteen months ago that I would be where I am today then I'd have laughed at them. Certainly, if I'd continued listening to advice given by various healthcare professionals then I know that I wouldn't have got to this stage - I'd likely be injecting insulin instead.

Good luck and very best wishes - john

Dippy3103

Wow, I don't know which to congratulate you on first! Weight loss, numbers or one of the most informative posts I have ever read!
Thanks, I may try adapting your diet to fit my vegetarian weight watchers reguime.
Dx

John aka Wallycorker

Hi Dippy3103 - It's good to meet you!

Thanks! For the first nine months of my improvement I was eating a near vegetarian diet - almost vegan in fact. That was before I fully understood the effect that carbohydrate has on blood glucose levels.

If you are a vegetarian then you may find a book by Dr Neal Barnard worth reading. You'll find details via this link:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7390&p=68069&hilit=barnard#p68069

It's the book that motivated me to get going down the path I'm travelling. I don't agree with everything these days but it is well worth reading especially for vegetarians.

Also, in the thread above you will be able to read the stage that I was at the time that I arrived on these diabetes forums just twelve months ago. Things have changed a little bit but the improvement has continued throughout.

Cowboyjim

You have much to commend there John. I was 'lucky' insofar as I was just over 13.5 stone when diagnosed and now about eleven and a half. My DMI was OK last time I went on the WiiFit! Waistline could prob still do with an inch or two less but I need a belt now to keep the jeans up - don't want to re-do the wardrobe just yet.
I am also lucky coz I didn't have a sweet tooth before nor too keen on the ale tho I have a couple or three a week when I go to watch bands etc.
My faves included savouries which I miss - esp pies, saus rolls, pasties, curries, chinese etc etc.
But I can and do eat quite a few nuts including peanuts (I wash off the salt) but try to avoid the raisins.
Meat is good too as are eggs etc. Though I try to watch the additives and salt on various cooked meats and cheese etc.
One of my luckiest things is that I have a very supportive wife and family. It must be very tough going solo.
Maybe I should have anticipated getting stricken with DM. I found out after telling my mum I had got it that not just my uncle (who I knew had it) but another blood-relative aunt had it too. Also my uncle's son had it, sadly we lost him not so long ago from heart failure. One of my other older cousins has had a heart attack and bypass so you can imagine what's on my mind! But neither my mum nor dad has had it nor my sister (she was an SRN BTW so I have to be careful what I say about the NHS!).
That's all for now... all the best for Easter one and all!

bedshaped2000

hi john,
after first contacting you last year when i was first diagonsed yourself and a few others on here have given me great advice. i have virtually adopted the exact diet as yourself with out standing results. in the last year i have lost all diabetic symptons, over 7 stone in weight and a waist size from a 48 inch waist down to a very trim 34 inch waist. it hasnt been easy, and the first few weeks giving up the bread potatoes etc was what i can only think is like a drug addict going cold turkey. endless walking, swimming and walking away from fast food outlets and changing your lifestyle is well worth the effort. people out here will probably think i could never be like him but with a little effort, self control and dedication it can be done. i have my whole life back now and the confidence i have gained from losing the weight is unbeliveable. so people out there remember you only have one life so make the most of it, turn it around when i first started i thought diabetes at 37 thats it life over. i now take the attitude that being diabetic has save my life and got me back on track. i no longer eat for pleasure but eat to live.(still on that lizis granola if you hadnt of told me about that gods nos what i would of done on the the loadings bays on those long lonely nights)