Type 2 Diet Only

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi paul
congratulations on your start.
You WILL succeed, because you are focussed.
One point Ipicked up on. You really don't need to avoid butter. It isn't now and never has been a dangerous food. The idea that saturated fats are bad is based on guess work, assumptions and BAD science. All of them wrong.
Have butter and cheese and put cream in your coffee. it won't hurt and is much tastier than "spread" made in a chemistry lab out of E numbers.
Hana

C

catherinecherub

Hi 7 Lives Left.

If you want to take a chance on high fat then be my guest. As a heart attack survivor I listen to my cardiologist as opposed to forum members. :wink:
How about boiled/ scambled eggs or even porridge. I find if I balance the porridge with fruit and nuts and seeds then the blood sugar readings are good but porridge on it's own will spike nearly everyone. By fruit I mean mixed berries, stewed apples with cinnamon, pears and peaches in natural juices with the juice drained away. Have you tried different breads as toast to see if that spikes you? You could add tinned tomatoes and/or mushrooms to the toast. You could try the Rye crispread with some ham and tomatoes on top or even warm up some homemade soup. This may sound odd but I find that on a cold morning this goes down really well. There are no rules as to what constitutes a breakfast food when you have diabetes. You have to test and see what suits you personally.

Hope this helps,
Catherine.

Catherine.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
hanadr said:
Hi paul
congratulations on your start.
You WILL succeed, because you are focussed.
One point Ipicked up on. You really don't need to avoid butter. It isn't now and never has been a dangerous food. The idea that saturated fats are bad is based on guess work, assumptions and BAD science. All of them wrong.
Have butter and cheese and put cream in your coffee. it won't hurt and is much tastier than "spread" made in a chemistry lab out of E numbers.
Hana

I wouldn't take on board the above advice Paul, saturated fat in small amounts isn't harmful, but to suggest that the medical world has got this all wrong is ludicrous. Ask your gp or dietitian about their opinion on ignoring the advice that saturated fat is dangerous to health.

To low-carb, or reduce carbs it is not necessary to up your saturated fat intake, try the foodstuff that Catherine has included in her post, there are some good suggestions there and healthy too.

Nigel

7 Lives Left

Hello hanadr,catherin and Nigel.
Thank you all for taking time out to write back, your info is very welcome I can assure you.
I am very tight on the use of Satfats and avoid them. Since my M.I. hit in 03 I have followed the olive oil trail and allways will but, I do have the odd little bit of butter and FF cream about 1-2 a year and have dropped spreads since being diagnosed with T2 this year.
I have not missed the spreads one bit! The idea of putting spread on my crisp bread, rhye bread or the odd home made wrap does not seem to compute as it did with my old full grain brown bread as once was. I hope I can keep it going.... The idea of spread if hard Rhye? Ham yes, Toms yes but not good old spread. The London marathon will have to do without my contribution i'm sorry to say!

Thank you Catherin for the porrige info. I was getting dizzy after eating it on its own and stopped when I recorded repeat readings over Bg10+. The mix of other foods to break down the intake makes me wonder about transfering that to other food groups. I have now kicked the 'Light colour foods' out for more of the Red and Greens. I would never have thought looking back of giving away fries when eating out for a grilled tomato but, it happened this week?
P.S. I like the idea of the No Rules for breakfast. I love CCC on toast. Hahahahahahahaha. lol!
Cheers again folks and thank you again. Your a great bunch!
My best regards

Paul

7 Lives Left

7 Lives Left

Hi all.
Its been a while since I last wrote so I thought I should pop in to see who is around still, read the latest posts and look up info on fresh fruit in the diet.
The reason for the fresh fruit info is because my better half and I stocked up on fresh fruit recently and included a few new items to the trolly as a change for my breakfast list. A large bowl of mixed fruit and half a tub of glupe is great compared to crisp bread I can assue you. Anyway, along with fruit I changed my yoghurt for a Bio type as my usual set Greek one was a bit bitter with fruit. It did have some sugar listed in the group on contents but not enough I thought to make my later test spike as much as it did.
After one hour the reading was: 9.9
After two hours it was 7.3
Q: Besides the sugar in the yoghurt what in the list of fruits could have shifted the blood sugar that high and for so long after eating?
Contents: Dr. O yoghurt, apple, grapes, kiwi fruit, tangerine, pear, pineapple, plum and bannana.
Not a crispbread in sight...............................lol!
Don't tell me please that I had too much fruit? I will go back to my old yoghurt but not to crispbread first thing!!
Thanks again in advance for any advice

My best regards

Paul

7 Lives Left

C

catherinecherub

Hi Paul,
Sounds delicious. :D
I would have said the banana, kiwi fruit and pineapple. A lot depends on your reaction. For me it would have been these as they are listed as medium G.I.

Catherine.

John aka Wallycorker

7 Lives Left said:
..........Contents: Dr. O yoghurt, apple, grapes, kiwi fruit, tangerine, pear, pineapple, plum and bannana..........
Hi 7 Lives left,

I agree with Catherine that is sounds absolutely delicious and much better for you than crispbread. However, there really is quite a lot of carbohydrate in that meal to be eaten first thing in a morning at a time when many Type 2s have problems dealing with carbohydrate. I assume that you didn't eat all that fruit yourself in one go?

Best wishes - John

brill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Country & Western!
Yes, grapes and pinepple both make me spike. Mind you, with the grapes, thats possibly because once I start eating them, I can't stop..... :oops:

Cowboyjim

Perhaps we shouldn't miss cereals and their convenience because in several respects we pay a price for that convenience whether DM or not. Someone said it would be more nutritious if we ate the box.
Witness the subliminal sales pitch we get every time watching goons appear to scoff their choco-wheato-flakes on Corrie.
One thing I say I will do tho I have yet to do so is pre-prepare something for brekkie the night before. Soup for the microwave perhaps. Get well ahead by making a big bucket at the weekend then freezing daily portions. Just remember to get one out every night. 8)

Ehlana

The problems of breakfast and what to have seem to plague most T2s - I used to regularly eat porridge until I found it just raised my BS too much.

Now I replace my porridge with a smoothie based upon low/med GI fruit (such as blueberries, strawberries, pears etc), unsweetened soya milk or yoghurt as it has a higher protein content than milk and maybe a teaspoon of wheatgerm for fibre. I have also started putting one measure of whey protein (you can buy it from Holland & Barrett) in the smoothie - this works very well and my BS barely rises. I find this keeps me going until my mid morning snack.

A slice Burgen bread with soya and linseed toast with a little butter or peanut butter goes down well for a change!

I gave up juice as well - that definately spikes my BS alarmingly.

7 Lives Left

Hi'ya to all.
I'm sorry for not getting back to reply to you all sooner and thank you for taking the time to post ideas on the problem of breakfast and what to eat.

After only a few months now I think i'm leaning towards the fresh fruit option in the morning as eating straw 'crispbread' does not rate very high first thing and the odd grill once a week won't hurt.
I have tried Spelt and other bits and bobs, but no!
Tomorrow is the start of another year 'age wise' and all I wanted when asked was for a blender! Reading the posts you left for me clicked up pictures of further usage once the box gets opened in the morning. Who said we can't act like kids once in a while? Why should they get all the fun.
Next, the subject of Icecream: I came across an icecream maker when out last week and have started making my own Diabetic Icecream. The idea of sugar free icecream was a challenge and Hey Presto. A desert is born! Using fresh fruit is the answer along with yoghurt, a little bit of cream and you have a graet desert. With the mixer came a booklet which I used as a template to cross off the bad and write in the good stuff we can get away with. Using colourings along with extracts is in question and one I intend to find out having the company close to hand. So give it a try now the warmer waether is on it's way. The team of testers gave it the thumbs up this week 'family and friends' and they loved their version too.
So, take care and see you soon.

Best regards

Paul

7 Lives Left