Hey ho, let's go!

bufferz

The Friday update - Been a bit rough the past 2 days - 8yo daughters passing on their bugs doesnt help, and so feeling sorry for myself, i indulged in a pie and chips from the chippy last night... :roll:

And it was very very nice! :twisted: :twisted: BUT back on the wagon again today, tho not at work, so havent been the gym today, so will feel it on Monday. Despite this, I have lost another 4lb this week, and am really happy with that, as I am targetting approx a stone a month... Also off my Gliclazide completely, and my BGs are not going above 5.2 still, so happy with that too, roll on next week! :mrgreen:

bufferz

The latest Friday update - and its another 4 pounder for me this week, bringing me down to a grand total of 20.00 stone, which isnt bad considering I have only been doing this for 3 weeks, and have now lost 15lb, got 2 more weeks to get to the end of the month, and I hope to be in the mid 19s by then, and as my next bloods are not until mid april, id like to get to the 17s by then (my target is 16stone, as I am a large frame, even tho my BMI says 13stone, I would look ill that low! :lol: :lol: )

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Only slip I did have was yesterday evening, when I had to nip to the shop for some milk for work, when I bought a 200g block of crumbly cheshire cheese. This was devoured in a space of 3 hours by myself :roll: And I cant believe how guilty I felt afterward...

I enjoy my cheese - & normally proper, full fat. I snack on cheese &/or nuts. I eat them like sweets. All my data are better than before I started low carbing. I've even been checked out by every non-invasive high-tech tool they can think of as part of a heart & diabetes research project, & there was nothing to refer back to my Dr. It included mental acuity, so DUKs warning of brain impairment due to low carbing doesn't follow. Actually I found the tests insulting.

John aka Wallycorker

bufferz said:
The latest Friday update - and its another 4 pounder for me this week, bringing me down to a grand total of 20.00 stone, which isnt bad considering I have only been doing this for 3 weeks, and have now lost 15lb, got 2 more weeks to get to the end of the month, and I hope to be in the mid 19s by then, and as my next bloods are not until mid april, id like to get to the 17s by then (my target is 16stone, as I am a large frame, even tho my BMI says 13stone, I would look ill that low! :lol: :lol: )
Great stuff bufferz ! Keep on track!

Best wishes - John

bufferz

Right, an end of month update - apart from a few bad days, i have loved this diet and it appears to love me. I have even found the bad days seem to kickstart my weightloss again for some reason too when it stalls for a day or two:?: Anyway, I began at a rather beefy 21st 8lbs, and my first target was to get into the teens by the end of the month, with my long term goal being 16st, which is imo my ideal, as BMI is a very poor indicator for me, as I am a large frame anyway, even without the fat! :lol: I initially chose to do this until the end of Feb, with the hope that I may lose anything, and I have been telling everyone how much I am loving it.

So to today's end of month progress. I am now completely off gliclazide, with steady BGs of approx 5.1-5.4, BP, according to my wrist one is approx 105/60, down from 130/85, and my weight is now down to 19st 7lb, so over 2st lost since 18th Jan! The guys in work cant believe how much I have lost and how well I seem to be doing with the diet. We even got some new clothing from work we ordered before xmas, and it doesnt fit (XXXL fleece, and I can fit into an XL)

That's probably it for my updates until mid March, as I do not intend to weigh myself again until then as I have noticed I am becoming a little obsessive about checking my weight, which is never good...but by carrying on with what I am doing, I expect to be in the 18's (allowing for a slow down in my weightloss) by the end of March, maybe even into the 17's :shock: :shock:

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Well done bufferz! :D

So glad it is working for you and that you are feeling good. 8)

spinningwoman

<<It included mental acuity, so DUKs warning of brain impairment due to low carbing doesn't follow. Actually I found the tests insulting.>>

I started low-carbing at the beginning of the second year of a degree course which I was taking to retrain for a new career. I had had a near nervous breakdown at the end of the first year - had to ask for extensions on the work and then only scraped through and was very depressed, convincing myself that I just wasn't going to be able to cope at my rather advanced age. We had been living in temporary accomodation while trying to sell one house and buy another, and the kitchen was tiny and it was just over the road from a chippie and a chinese, so my diet had gone from bad to worse. I felt dizzy as if my head was going to explode every time I bent down and felt ill in all sorts of nebulous ways which I just put down to stress. Then I started low-carbing as my husband wanted to lose weight and it was about the only thing he hadn't already tried and failed with.

It was like a fog had lifted from my brain. I can look back at the portfolios I had to produce every year, and even just to look at them it is like a different person produced them. The one from the first year is a ratty old folder with scrappy, disorganised contents, whereas the other two are neat and bright and well tabulated. And the contents obviously improved as well, as I ended up doing better than most of the 19 year-olds on the course and got a first!

So I don't think there's much danger of losing your mind through eating insufficient cake<g>.

banjo brunette

Hey Bufferz
Well done on your weight loss! Keep it up :D Isn't it good to find a way of eating that's tasty and (generally) easy to keep to? My hubby occasionally goes off-piste on the diet front - his excuse is that a carby blowout seems to kick-start the weight loss again. Me, I just see the BGs shoot up, feel deeply naughty and get back on track....
Looking forward to the next instalment.
Cheers, BB :D

bufferz

End of March update - Weight now: 18st 6lb, Total weight loss since Jan 20th: 3st, 1lb

Totally made up with this, i am due to get my bloods done tomorrow, although my weight loss has slowed down, that was more down to be nibbling a few more bad things (galaxy chocolate mainly :oops: ), but it is still coming off, so i am happy. Will update again when i have my meeting with my DN, probably next week or so.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congrats on the weight loss - well done you! - and good luck with the bloods - get results from mine next week though I am expecting them to be up slightly as I have had illness, a couple of courses of antibiotics and a good deal of stress since Christmas - but hey ho - there's always Galaxy :wink:

Well done again!

John aka Wallycorker

Congratulations on the weight loss bufferz!

I hope that you will get an improvement in blood glucose levels and fully expect that you will.

Good luck and best wishes - John

bufferz

Just got back from my appt with my DN:

Weight = 115kg down from 137kg 3 months ago
118/71 BP, 68bpm heartrate
total chol - 3.1%, trigs= 1.7, ldl 1.07, hdl 0.9( :shock: )
Hb1ac - 5.6% :D :D :D
Now down to 2x metformin from 4x, from 45mg actos to 30mg

Just got to get the all clear on me eyes and everythings peachy (but cant get an appt until 17thMAy for that :roll: )

I'd say that low carbing is the way to go, for me anyway! :lol: :lol:

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
Well done with those numbers, you must feel so great.

An inspiration to us all that it is 'do-able'

Synonym

Dislikes
Well done Bufferz! :D

Those numbers are looking really great and the weight is certainly falling off! 8)

Just wondering if you had any comments made to you at the clinic :?:

bufferz

Synonym said:
Well done Bufferz! :D

Those numbers are looking really great and the weight is certainly falling off! 8)

Just wondering if you had any comments made to you at the clinic :?:

my DN was amazed at how much i had lost, and agreed with me that 16stone is an ideal level for me to aim for and she has said she will use me as an example to the other diabetes patients apparently, she asked why i was LCing, and i told her about the info and help i had on here, and she was well impressed, said she might have to look at it herself.

Synonym

Dislikes
bufferz said:
my DN was amazed at how much i had lost, and agreed with me that 16stone is an ideal level for me to aim for and she has said she will use me as an example to the other diabetes patients apparently, she asked why i was LCing, and i told her about the info and help i had on here, and she was well impressed, said she might have to look at it herself.

Great! Hope that she spreads the word! 8) :D

Mother Bear

Dislikes
Fatism, condescension, Narrow mindedness, cruelty and violence.
A great inspirational thread! Well done on your good work and results! :D