budapest7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Greetings everyone,
I was very recently diagnosed with Diabetes 2 in hospital. I have been PreDiabetic for 16 years since I suffered a major stroke back in Y2K, then after a chain of events in September, I finally fell off the cliff. I must say at 58 this is the biggest change for me in regards to a medical emergency. I´m a British Expat living in the Hungarian Puszta (Hungarian Small Plain), 65 clicks east of Budapest the capital. The town I live in is a small town with about 14,000 residents, more of a village mentality than a larger town. Although my Hungarian is not great, I get by.

I have lived in Budapest and then in 2002 bought a small semi-detached house with a large garden. I used to commute, but when the recession hit here in 2010, half of my students whom I was teaching lost their jobs and steady income, so decided to switch to country life from a big city to living here full time.
I suffered a nasty bout of chronic pancreatitis 6 years ago for which I spent a few days in hospital, but apart from maybe felling a pain sometimes after eating too much fatty food, I thought I was out of the woods. Then 5 weeks ago I banged and scraped my ankle on my iron gate, it got infected and became swollen like a balloon.
I went to my local GP and it was all bandaged up, the original wound healed, but the swelling moved to my foot, then it turned blue and dark crimson. Then about 10 days in I decided to try and stop smoking, I managed to gorge a whole bag of 16 mini snickers. Then I got this incredible thirst and dry mouth, drinking litre upon litre, some of which was flavoured mineral water probably containing lots of sugar. Having to hobble to the toilet on my very painful foot was no fun.
Then on the Wednesday went back to my GP, got a time to visit a trauma doctor at the local health clinic and take a blood and urine test, the results would only be ready the next morning which was a Friday.
I then picket up the sheet of paper with my lab results and shot off to my doctor whom fortunately had surgery time noon to 4pm. There was the usual gaggle of locals :banghead::jimlad::chicken::nailbiting:in the waiting room, which meant a 2 to maybe 4 hour wait. I then began to feel quite dizzy and knew something was wrong, so just sneaked in as 1 patient was exiting the doctors room. I handed my lab results to the doctor, when he saw that my blood glucose was 29, he said I needed to go straight to hospital, knowing that you must bring your own cutlery and cups, the doctor told me to go straight home and the ambulance would come and pick me up at my house. about 45 minutes later the ambulance came, that´s village life norm. The nearest hospital, or rather the one for my county was about a 30 to 40 minute drive.
I spent a week in Cegled hospital and only today I got to meet the local Diabetologia dr in the health centre building. I was not impressed, after monitoring my blood sugar which was 12, he seemed very stressed and 10 minutes time was all I got, and told I should come back in February. :grumpy:
The hospital was top notch, the staff:nurse::nurse::oldman: 20160927_074739.jpg 20160925_002318.jpg 20160927_074739.jpg very efficient and friendly, :)
I was given 2 insulin pens and a blood glucose monitor, along with a pile of info, but all in Hungariano_O which I´m still struggling with after 20 years.

I was scared to death of logging onto the net and googling up Diabetes 2 info.:eek:
Nobody told me, or maybe they did and I didn´t hear how often I was supposed to change the syringe needles on the pen. 2 different friends who were diabetic told me they changed their needles everyday. Finally after visiting my GP he told me once week was enough or once every 4 days if I wanted which was a relief to hear. I´m needing sleep so will continue Part 2 tomorrow or very soon. Goodnight and much love :singing:from the Puzsta . Tim

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@budapest7

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. It contains a lot of advice about carbs and also a link to the Low Carb Program which could help you. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 210,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello and welcome. Let me tag @daisy1 who will provide some of the basic information that will allow youto hopefully get to understand your diagnosis better

edit: daisy got there seconds before me

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

Thank goodness you found us.

In your situation, is looks as though information is vital. So I suggest you have a really thorough read of everything you can.
There is lots of bite sized chunks of info on the www.diabetes.co.uk website. And one of the best information sources I have found for type 2s is the www.bloodsugar101.com webside. It is run by a type 2 journalist, who examines the evidence on diet, lifestyle and medication for type 2s - and sets out the findings in really useful ways.

Are you familiar with the distinction between type 1 and type 2 diabetes? If you have been prediabetic for years, it is most likely that you are type 2, but please bear in mind that for a minority, type 1 can strike at any age.

Type 2 can often be largely managed by diet and lifestyle changes, and there are people who can come off insulin and medication and control it by diet alone, so there is a lot of hope that things can improve from where you are now, but that will become clear as you read more.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions - there are lots of people around who can answer queries you have about your insulin, and any other symptoms.

Welcome to the forum. :)

bigjim19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
a lot of food im supposed to eat yuk
dont worry i dont understand hungarian either let alone diabeties :):):):)