Diabetes Burnout.

JamesMJG2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
While this situation is definitely not easy... I have learned to deal with some of these things some what successfully... One day I realized that I was letting other people control how I felt, by accepting the criticism from others... I felt worse about myself because no matter how hard I tried I could not change those kind of people doing and saying the things they were... and the world contains plenty of those kind of people... I finally came to the conclusion that I was losing the battle... So I had try and find some way to protect my emotional life...

Following is some of the tools that I have learned to use to accomplish that...
  • After some time I realized... No one ever told me that I was put on this planet to live or think as others might like to prescribe...

• Next came the realization that... What others might think about me is none of my business... What is my business... Is what I think about myself...

• Living one day at a time means that I will not... Attempt to control what happens down the road (Tomorrow... next week... next year... 10 years...) And on and on... All I need to take care of is what I need to do today... Do the best I can today and do the best that I can with what happens when it comes...
I have found this has relieved a lot of the pressure I used to live with...

James~

LWTTD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I am new to this site but am glad I found this subject. I have been having a problem with my diet, exercising and testing my BG. I also have been having a terrible problem with eating sweets, I seem to crave all types and I eat them but know that I shouldn't. Just don't seem to be able to get a grip on it all. I like the information about burnout. How do you stay motivated? I don't want to end up with severe complications.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi I am new to this site but am glad I found this subject. I have been having a problem with my diet, exercising and testing my BG. I also have been having a terrible problem with eating sweets, I seem to crave all types and I eat them but know that I shouldn't. Just don't seem to be able to get a grip on it all. I like the information about burnout. How do you stay motivated? I don't want to end up with severe complications.

Hi @LWTTD it can be hard at times, but after 27 years, I want to live at least another 27 years and even more if possible. I am a single parent with a teenager and over the past few years things times have been bad with a lot of stress and worry going on in my life.
Have a look at the type 2 section which could be very helpful to you, or you could start your own thread and you should get help, advice and support. Take care.

Reactions: tony n

JamesMJG2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I also had a terrible problem with eating sweets... After I began eating more vegetables I no longer had that craving...

Reactions: v4victory

v4victory

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
While this situation is definitely not easy... I have learned to deal with some of these things some what successfully... One day I realized that I was letting other people control how I felt, by accepting the criticism from others... I felt worse about myself because no matter how hard I tried I could not change those kind of people doing and saying the things they were... and the world contains plenty of those kind of people... I finally came to the conclusion that I was losing the battle... So I had try and find some way to protect my emotional life...

Following is some of the tools that I have learned to use to accomplish that...
  • After some time I realized... No one ever told me that I was put on this planet to live or think as others might like to prescribe...

• Next came the realization that... What others might think about me is none of my business... What is my business... Is what I think about myself...

• Living one day at a time means that I will not... Attempt to control what happens down the road (Tomorrow... next week... next year... 10 years...) And on and on... All I need to take care of is what I need to do today... Do the best I can today and do the best that I can with what happens when it comes...
I have found this has relieved a lot of the pressure I used to live with...

James~
Good for you James !!! I struggled with similar things this week but I finally just decided to be nice to myself and never mind about what others are saying or thinking about me or whatever. They can all go jump in the lake for all I care. Ha ha ... Have yourself a great day! :)

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi.
Burn out has happened to me. I've been busy looking after everyone and just started neglecting myself.
I'm back up to par now and average at 7mmol/l. I ended up on insulin as diet and exercise wasn't enough, still isnt. I've managed to reduce my insulin intake so im happy for now. Weight loss is a pressing factor but very very difficult with 3 metabolic conditions working against me.
I'm a conqueror so I still try.
I keep up beat even thou the odd fool upsets me. I pity some people as they dont want me to succeed but I already have. I succeed to keep positive and happy. Against the odds.
Have a rain check about your outlook on life. Make sure you're free. Free to choose where you eant to be. Don't let anyone or anything stop you. Be happy! :) :)

Last edited:

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.dietdoctor.com/category/health-problems/addiction
... I also have been having a terrible problem with eating sweets, I seem to crave all types and I eat them but know that I shouldn't. Just don't seem to be able to get a grip on it all. .
Sugar addiction is probably widespread, I know I am one for a start. Have a look at the page above, which has many short articles about the subject. It helps to read as much as possible about this and realize how many people have the same problem. The website Dietdoc is hugely useful.

dw422

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Neaarly all of us get fed up and frustrated with trying to manage out diabetes day after day, year after year.

Here are some simple tips to avoid Diabetes Burnout.

http://www.joslin.org/info/avoid_diabetes_burnout.html
I don't know about anyone else, but the thing that frustrates me the most are the so called experts that claim that if you follow their plan it will reverse type 2 diabetes. On my diabetic journey so far I was led to believe that I will always have diabetes and it is how I manage it that counts. I am now at the point where, that with tablets my HbA1c falls in the normal range, and my long term aim is to avoid having to up my meds for as long as I can.
Another pet peeve is doctors and other medical professionals talkink about my BMI, when they are fatter than me, for the last 6 months I have had the same waist size in 501's that I had 30 years ago, '32in'

BrittleType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think this is exactly where I am at the moment, nothing seems to work...my dipstix always show a high reading and I really don't care any more - the other night, the exact words I used, were " oh well, if it kills me, it kills me". I haven't been diagnosed for long - only since last November, but I've had enough :cry:
Don't Give up, yet. I've had Type 1 Brittle Diabetes for 32 years. I have thought the same thing in the past, but it really got me nowhere. I still try everything I can to get my BS under control and yes, it is usually to no avail, but I wont ever give up. I have too many things to live for. My husband, My children, but mostly for MY LIFE. It sounds like your still news to this, give it time, you'll figure it out and be just fine.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Not in good shape at the moment. We are severely understaff at work and all if us remaining are under stress. The work load has caused me, on occasion, to either delay or even skip insulin doses to stay on deck. The situation backfired badly, with me getting very sick and becoming aggressive and adversarial to everyone around me. I came home today with a BGL of 27.3! I have spent the last six hours getting back to 9.4, but I am still drowsy and nauseous. This garbage is going to stop immediately!!

Retail is not a place for diabetics! I will be seeking alternate employment as I am not ready to tolerate this uncaring **** anymore.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Retail is no place for diabetics. There are occasions where we have been short staffed and I worked with an approaching hypo to the point where I could even not even speak. I ended up leaving work because I was too ill to continue.
Good stuff. Think I am doing most of those, my wife helps a lot even tho I insist we don't have individual meals... just one in four in a family with the lurgi still hard work.
Not sure how I would cope if I worked in an office etc every day. Working at home is a great help with routine etc. 8)
Amen to that!

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Don't Give up, yet. I've had Type 1 Brittle Diabetes for 32 years. I have thought the same thing in the past, but it really got me nowhere. I still try everything I can to get my BS under control and yes, it is usually to no avail, but I wont ever give up. I have too many things to live for. My husband, My children, but mostly for MY LIFE. It sounds like your still news to this, give it time, you'll figure it out and be just fine.
32 years...? I'm coming up to 12 years and its driving crazy already!

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Well, what a complete waste of a day. Got off to a good start. I didn't take in enough carbs to compensate the insulin dose at breakfast. Went to work and went hard for 4 hours without letup. Massive hypo and all went pare shaped!! GOD DAMMIT!!!

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Currently in a burnout. I have been ill for two days, but kept going in to shifts. Averaging 14.2 at the moment.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
It is annoying when people think ill of me when I am having a bad time of it with diabetes. They think I am being petulant and arguementative. Diabetes really plays havoc with emotions and rational thought.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I think this is exactly where I am at the moment, nothing seems to work...my dipstix always show a high reading and I really don't care any more - the other night, the exact words I used, were " oh well, if it kills me, it kills me". I haven't been diagnosed for long - only since last November, but I've had enough :cry:

I have felt that way many times. I am currently off work due to skipping insulin during busy shifts, and it cost me dearly! Employers simply don't understand the demands of diabetes control and the heavy toll it takes on the body and emotions. I can be very adversarial during hypos and hypers and this is regarded as poor attitude to others. It is so frustrating for me. Remember - you are not alone in this.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I am a head of you there, I've been on a destructive course for more than 3 years now... nothing changes.

I don't even live in England anymore, so I don't have access to any help. It will kill me, I know... but being depressed you can never see the brighter side of life, especially when you are alone.

I hope you get through it, because I don't hold much hope for me.

Sometimes, just sometimes, I feel like yes the light at the end of the tunnel is here, then it fades away to blackness

Never surrender too easily. I have lived with this frustrating condition for over 15 years. It has brought heart problems and even nodularcystic carcinoma into my life, yet I don't give up.

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought I'd chime in here. I've re-read some of this thread. I've posted in this thread about 38 weeks ago that I discovered a old fasting blood glucose test where my reading was 103mg/dl or early stage pre/ type 2 diabetic. That was 7 years ago. My official declared date for discovery of diabetes was actually in 2014 or three years ago. So the one chance I had to pickup that as was early stage diabetic in 2010 was missed. Thus I do not like doctors.

The first endocrinologist I met, i gave her her P45 immediately. Smug witch from the Ukraine. Never went back to see her. In fact I've so far seen doctors about 4 times in the all the time I've been known to be diabetic. I do test infrequently for a fasting test that comes in 104 - 118 mg/dl. All of this may sound cavalier but actually I am far from cavalier with my health. I am a member of a gym but I have a new set of doctors.

I have Dr Cannondale / Dr Hybrid / Dr Mountain Bike / Dr Recumbent. Dr Cannondale is a relaxed form of a "Lance Armstrong style road bike" but if you want to ride each and every day it gets tough of the area of the posterior so that it becomes too cheeky. Dr Hybrid is a Trek mountain bike that has been modified with Mavic Open Sport 700c rims, so its not as sporty as Dr Cannondale but has a more upright positioning / wider seat. The Mavic rims still allow quick-ish riding nonetheless. Dr Mountain bike rarely gets out but has hard tail and big heavy tires. Dr Recumbent is my newest bike to the quiver of bikes that i own. It is more an bike like this one shown here
Rans-Stratus.jpg

The interesting feature with this bike is that the length of rides one can undertake. In the last 8 days I've managed to ride 198 miles, because this bike is comfy and it allows me to get on it and simply put just cycle.

I have been inspired reading more and more about Geoff Whitington www.fixingdad.com . He was 51 when diagnosed T2DM and was being warned 10 years later of possible foot amputation / Charcot's foot before his two sons intervened and got their father to take his condition more seriously. Geoff's sons opted to get their father to start cycling. Eventually he got ready for the Prudential 100 mile bike around London. During that process he was able to put his T2DM into remission. I think he was riding for about 7-9 months to prepare for the 100 mile ride.

There is a phenomenon with bike racing of chasing a rider. During the Olympics last Summer there was one rider who got a heck of a lead on everyone but the second position rider found the energy to catch the race leader because he could see him and win the race. Unlike Geoff I am not near getting my foot chopped off but about 5 months ago I started getting serious by doing 130 miles / week riding on one of the above bikes. I know my T2DM wasn't as bad as Geoff's but we all have a fight on our hands. What I am finding now is I am getting less neuropathy in my feet and I am getting lower and extremely well controlled FBGs. It was the limitation of the seats and comfy factor that has limited my mileage on a bike to 130/miles a week. Now that i can sense I am getting my T2DM on the run I ponied up for the Dr Recumbent. The Recumbent showed up a week ago. Since then I've put in 198 miles of riding. I am comfy on the bike, its visually entertaining watching the world go by at about 11 mph . I don't get a neck ache or sore wrists by leaning forward. I don't get a sore back either and I know I am following Geoff www.fixingdad.com . Dang it i will catch Geoff. I can see him in front of me. Ukrainian Witch Doctor get out of my way. There's not enough miles of pathways to stop me getting my health back. Dang it, its my body and I want my health back.

And if anyone is asking I'll be 62 next birthday. TC & PMA. Total Commitment and a Positive Mental Attitude can go a long way. A few prayers to God will help too. God bless all we diabetics. We all need as much help as we can find..

LBB

PS I hope no one finds what I've written her offensive.. If so don't get snarky just PM me & I'll alter the above post..