please help iv been a fool

debi lee

Hi everyone im new here so help i can get some good advice,i have had type 2 for 16 years and done nothing whats so ever about it i suffer bipolar so most of the time very deppressed,I have always done as wnt regards to food such as loads i choclate and takaways.I never went for any cheak ups or blood tests,This week decided to have blood test as they thought i had an enlarged tyroid so i done the test on weds and thursday morning the hospital called me to say my fasting was at 20.1 it scared me as im in really bad pain in my back legs all over really.The docs said i had fibromyilgia but i really think it because of the diabetes,

I now want to eat very healthy and lose weight but i feel its just too late now and might as well carry on as before,Would it make any diffrence if i started healthy eating now or is it just too late.
by the way im 44 4 metformin a day and two glilazide a day.Ialso take loads of tabs for my bipolar and pain killers for the pain as well as morphine.PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP AS IM SCARED NOW

regards debi xxx

jopar

Hi Debs

It's never too late to start..........

Remember that yesterday is the past, and it can't be change it
Today and tomorrow is the future and this you can change..

As you know your Bipolor has in the past play havoc with control which isn't surprising...

Take a look around the different forums to see what others are up too, and then change what you need to change, you can change little bits at a time, this probable would be better for you with suffering Bipolor as you ideally want to be able to change with out it impacted on this..

Hopefully if you reduce you blood glucose levels and bring your T2 under better control this could improve the Bipolor, even a diabetic who doesn't suffer from this, can feel down low and depressed so hopefully good control will lead to many better days for you..

I would also pull in the help of your medical teams, both your GP and those that help support you with you Bipolor as well, the more support you can get the better it is..

Good luck, ask any questions and Remember it's never too late to start..

debi lee

Hi jopar

thank you for your kind words and advise its really what i was hoping to hear on here to encourge me to crack on with it.I think your right i should see the doctors for help as iv always been too worried to go incase they have ago at me about my sugar levals.

Im really mad with myself because after the doc rang and told me how high my blood levals were i went and ate a big bag of mini eggs and fell straight to sleep that was 3 oclock yesterday and just woke up,Im now writing out my diet for the week all healthy so praying i dont get the craving for chocs like i normally do.Is the diabetic sweets ok to have????

debi xx

lilibet

Debbie
ate a big bag of mini eggs and fell straight to sleep

Thats probably the result of high blood sugar. Many of the symptoms of depression ape or mimic the effects of high bg (fatigue,sluggishness, poor motivation, appetite probs, weight gain). Thats not to comment on the impact of having diabetes and how it makes you feel anyway. I have Type 1 and get pain in my muscles if I get high bg so maybe the Fibro IS related to your diabetes

If you have a dx of bipolar fibro, diabetes, its understandable that youve had probs trying to get on top of things. However, I agree, its NEVER too late and you can make changes

Just start a bit a at time- Rome wasnt built in a day. Set yourself small goals. Suggestions include
-getting a bg meter to test (GPs arent fond of giving them to T2 but if you can demonstrate/explain what its for, and why couldnt you with bg in the 20's!)
-start by looking at breakfast
-then lunch-
-then tea
Then look at how you can build in treats

What I would say re diet - standard advice is lots of healthy brown (bread, rice,pasta). Yes its a bit healthier thatn white but MIGHT be just as bad for bg .You wont know until you test though.
So, start by considering carbohydrates (sugars, bread, pasta, potatoes, chips, cakes - what your granny might have called 'the starches' :lol: ). If you cant cut them, then start to manage them better by reducing them.

Also, in terms of sweets - diabetic 'stuff' has polyols in them which dont affect bg as much but have laxative effects at times

Also, if not already. think about medication to help if you need it and make sure if your mental health impacts on your ability to cope to get help with this
Good luck

And remember, baby steps now and in one year you will have seen the giant leaps you've made

C

catherinecherub

Hi debi,
As Jopar says, it is never too late and I admire you for wanting to change things. :D
Bipolar is a time consuming illness and I can understand as to why your diabetes was placed on the back burner.
Anytime you have any questions about your management please let us know. We all struggle at times and it is always with us.
Hope today is the start of your new diet and leave those diabetic chocolates alone. All they will do is make you spend time in the loo, you would be better off having a couple of squares of dark chocolate.
Look forward to your postings.

Take care,
Catherine.

debi lee

Hi all thank you very much for your kind comments will come back next week and tell you how iv been going,

All have a good easter no eggs lol.xx

Giblet

Hi Debi,

Everyone has offered great advice. For me being morbidly obese, I find that if I try to do too much in one go I slip back into bad habits. I think you'll probably find as people have suggested, that trying to change small thing slowly will work better for you. Don't beat yourself up if you slip up on the way ok?. Take care let us know how you get on. John.x

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
Hi Debi, the past is in the past and can't be changed. But tomorrow is another day, so make a fresh start. There is still time to change :mrgreen:

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A piece of good advice I was once given (If you are climbing the stairs and you slip off one step you dont go back to the bottom) a bit profound but worth a think! Keep on trying.Tomorrow is the start of the rest of your life.

debi lee

Thank you soooooo much for all your replys just got back from the shops all low fat and low sugar so this will be the start of a new way of life,

I am so glad to have found this site with such lovely people who take the time to write to me it makes me feel very good and i feel like i have got support from you guys,

I said i would be back on here next week but cant help myself keep looking on here knowing theres people out there that really do care

lots of hugs to everyone debi

P.S god its dear going healthy :lol:

dragongirl

Debi - I echo the "it's dear going healthy" bit. I have never spent so much on food in my life. I'm not really that interested in it either. So it feels a bit odd. I wonder how some people manage! By the way, I have noticed that some of the low fat stuff is higher in carbs than the higher fat stuff. That may not be a problem for you but what I mean is you may have to start taking binoculars to Tesco to read all the labels which are always written in white on blue in tiny print :roll:
Good luck and do let us know how it's going.
DG

ham79

Dislikes
diabetes and cbeebies
It's never to late to change just keep your focus and find a distraction a hobby or activity that can keep you motivated and interested. keep going and post a good tale to inspire others because believe it or not there are others good luck and chin up

debi lee

Hi all second day in to my diet and boy does my body no it.I have bad headaches i think because i have no sugar at all .
My bolld today was 13.5 when i woke up had a small breki and it went to 15.1 so it didnt go up by much.Was just wondering does it take time for your sugar levals to come down? does the sugar stay in your blood for days or weeks considering i stuffed down chocolate none stop.
Anyway i struggling to eat in the day normal dont eat breki or lunch and just eat in the afternoon then i dont stop.
I have found that if i dont eat in the day my sugars just go up and up i would have thought they go down as i havent eaten,Any way im sure one of you guys can help me with this,

kind regrads to everyone debi xx

jopar

Hi Debs

Headache's are you drinking enough fluids, as the body will try to flush out excess glucose via urine, this can lead to dehydration hence on of the symptoms is frequent visits to the loo.. sometimes headache's can be caused if the body has been used to running at an higher level for a while, when you start to lower this towards normal then it's a sign the body is adjusting, (some diabetics will get headaches when they have/or sufferd a hypo)

As to whats happening with your BG's at the moment, it can take time to get the levels down, partly because of the medication, partly the need to eat and partly to the bodies actions itself..

The liver will continually drip glucose into your blood stream at verious amounts 24/7 (this would explain a raise in BG even though one hasn't ate) you need to eat so this sorts can increase the BG making the medication needing to work harder/ not being as effective as such...

So it will take a comblination of correct diet (so not to impact and/or raise the BG by too much) and medication to help to bring down the BG, rarely doesn this happen overnight, it could mean that you require alteration to you medication dose or type and/or diet, to enable the body to use the glucose probably to reduce your levels..

As to your eating pattern, if you can work to having smaller meal/snacks throughout the day this does work better in keeping stable BG's as you don't over whelm the body all at one go... As to carb content of each meal and snack, this is totally dependant on you and based on how any carb amount you chose impacts on the BG, only way of finding this out is test, test and test..

debi lee

Hi there everyone well its been three days without choc and sugar and iv been dieting tonight my blood was 10.1 which is good for me as its normally 15 17 i no thats not good enough but at least its starting to come down,My husband is now helping me loads so i have support from you guys and my hubbi what more do i need lucky me,must admit i did have the diabetic bics when i craved some thing sweet and i didnt rush to the loo all the time :lol: think i will have them to help me untill my sweet tooth lessons,
Hope you all had a great easter debi xx

jopar

Well done Debs,

Just think that that 10 is almost 1/2 the amount of your normal reading, so around a 50% improvement what an improvement indeed... Fingers crossed for tomorrow for you..

The sweat toothy thing hopefully will ease..

when I was dignoised with T1, I was a 3 tsp of sugar in my coffee person, I cried my eyes out the first cup of coffee without sugar tasted absolutely foul, so bitter I really thought that I would not enjoy another cup of coffee again in my life :cry:

But now, if you gave me a coffee containing sugar in it, it tasts so sickly sweat it makes me urge indeed... I can even smell the sugar in a coffee as well

Remeber if you trip, don't worry, stress or beat yourself up, just pick your self up, dust yourself down and just start again...