Don't want to give up my toast for breakfast, but...

M

mist

A birdie told me recently that bread is ok, as long as you adjust your insulin dose to factor it in..:woot:

So go ahead, and while your at it, do me a slice too..;)

Reactions: asparagusp

MelissaC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been doing LCHF for a few months now and doing really well on it (in general). I've continued to eat toast for breakfast (Hovis Granary - carbs total 40g for 2 slices, that's for thick sliced which my hubby likes. I've told him I'm going to get thin sliced from now on, so the carbs will be less, but we need to eat up the thick sliced first - sorry TMI!!!) and it tends to put my blood sugar levels up between 1.8 and 2 points two hours after eating. Which I'm more than happy with if my fasting bloods are low, but generally they're not. Yesterday it was 6.9, today 7.5, which means that 2 hours after eating the toast my bsl yesterday was 8.8 and today 9.4

I have quite happily given up all other carbs - potatoes, fruit etc - but I really, really, really don't want to give up my morning routine of toast & coffee (black coffee from today, as I found out yesterday that milk has sugar in it!). If I can get my fasting bloods down I'll be able to eat toast with a clear conscience, but as it is, I just feel miserable. I can't stomach the thought of having anything else for breakfast, so the big issue is.....how to get my fasting bloods lower?

In another thread someone mentioned that the Propranolol I take for anxiety could possibly put my bsl up. I don't know if I'll be able to come off of them - but I'm going to start with not taking my bedtime pill tonight (I looked at the med pack & it says "One table to be taken three times a day as needed". I'm under a fair bit of stress at the moment, so took a pill this morning, but will see how I get on with not taking my second pill tonight (I rarely take 3 in a day).

I know some of you will think I'm being stubborn by not changing my eating habits, but I really don't want to give up this one thing that gives me so much comfort! Also, I hate cooking & if I did have a cooked breakfast it would take much longer to prepare than the toast, and when I put off eating breakfast earlier this week as my fasting blood was 8.0, it shot up to 9.9 after I'd had a shower. Someone told me that I need to eat as soon as I get up so that the liver dump from overnight fasting will have something to work with - I'm so confused!!

I know there are other options for breakfast, but as I said before, I don't think I can stomach anything other than plain toast.

Please, any suggestions? Thanks

Hi @BeadieJay

I find that, for some reason, I can't 'carb count' when it comes to bread. I tried it and my sugars went high, so I have to increase my insulin when I eat bread. I inject 4.5 units per slice, which sounds a lot but that's what's needed for me personally. So perhaps you need to have a little more insulin when eating bread? Obviously I'm not suggesting that you do the same as me, but maybe you need to play around with it a little to see if it helps.

As others have suggested, it might be worth trying different brands of bread. My friend's mother is Type 1 diabetic and she had to try different brands before finding one that worked well for her sugars. I can't remember what it was, but I have heard that Burgen is good (and it's tasty!).

Melissa x

paganlass

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
nhs. religion for the sake of it.
Don't get whipped cream for ur coffee it has sugar in it to. Go with double or single cream. I can't comment on breakfast toast because I don't eat bread of any sort. Only scrambled egg for me in morning. Good look with ur toast but I think the only way would be to find an alternative for ur healths sake. I am on lchf and i eat fruit but only at night. Berries mainly with full fat greek yoghurt and the small funsize pears and tangerines. Just after a main meal. ( not all at once different piece every night) .

Dan6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was at a diabetic group session a few years ago where a partner used to put cinnamon on everything as they heard it had massive benefits. Think cinnamon flavoured roast dinners toast etc so it could be worse!

M

mist

I was at a diabetic group session a few years ago where a partner used to put cinnamon on everything as they heard it had massive benefits. Think cinnamon flavoured roast dinners toast etc so it could be worse!

Cinnamon challenge ahoy! :woot:

karenuppal05

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hia,
Coming off bread is so hard, I can do it for a few weeks but then I crave it! I used to have toast everyday for breakfast too (wholemeal) but to bring down my carb count I started having natural yoghurt with milled nuts and a handful of strawberries, this doesn't send my blood sugar levels crazy. Maybe try doing this twice a week in the morning and see if you get used to it, experiment with different toppings while still having toast the rest of the week. This way you can slowly come off bread or at least half the the amount you have per week! I used to hate plain yoghurt but with healthy stuff on top I actually look forward to it in the morning!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A birdie told me recently that bread is ok, as long as you adjust your insulin dose to factor it in..:woot:

So go ahead, and while your at it, do me a slice too..;)
Hi Mist
I'm not trying to be nasty but for someone with Type 2 bread is probably not all that great. If they're trying to control their condition without meds it could be very bad for them and their blood sugar control.

A

asparagusp

One slice of toast for most people is fine. As for cinnamon, it's magic, especially on toast. I have it in my cocoa sometimes, and no i don't mean drinking chocolate! Nutmeg and other spices are good for diabetes also. Ground cloves I read just now is better!

Reactions: Liam1955

frenchlady

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been doing LCHF for a few months now and doing really well on it (in general). I've continued to eat toast for breakfast (Hovis Granary - carbs total 40g for 2 slices, that's for thick sliced which my hubby likes. I've told him I'm going to get thin sliced from now on, so the carbs will be less, but we need to eat up the thick sliced first - sorry TMI!!!) and it tends to put my blood sugar levels up between 1.8 and 2 points two hours after eating. Which I'm more than happy with if my fasting bloods are low, but generally they're not. Yesterday it was 6.9, today 7.5, which means that 2 hours after eating the toast my bsl yesterday was 8.8 and today 9.4

I have quite happily given up all other carbs - potatoes, fruit etc - but I really, really, really don't want to give up my morning routine of toast & coffee (black coffee from today, as I found out yesterday that milk has sugar in it!). If I can get my fasting bloods down I'll be able to eat toast with a clear conscience, but as it is, I just feel miserable. I can't stomach the thought of having anything else for breakfast, so the big issue is.....how to get my fasting bloods lower?

In another thread someone mentioned that the Propranolol I take for anxiety could possibly put my bsl up. I don't know if I'll be able to come off of them - but I'm going to start with not taking my bedtime pill tonight (I looked at the med pack & it says "One table to be taken three times a day as needed". I'm under a fair bit of stress at the moment, so took a pill this morning, but will see how I get on with not taking my second pill tonight (I rarely take 3 in a day).

I know some of you will think I'm being stubborn by not changing my eating habits, but I really don't want to give up this one thing that gives me so much comfort! Also, I hate cooking & if I did have a cooked breakfast it would take much longer to prepare than the toast, and when I put off eating breakfast earlier this week as my fasting blood was 8.0, it shot up to 9.9 after I'd had a shower. Someone told me that I need to eat as soon as I get up so that the liver dump from overnight fasting will have something to work with - I'm so confused!!

I know there are other options for breakfast, but as I said before, I don't think I can stomach anything other than plain toast.

Please, any suggestions? Thanks[

You really should not stop taking prescribed drugs unless your doctor tells you to. This drug should not have any effect on your blood sugar levels anyway. You have answered your own question. Either give up the toast - or cut down on a slice and perhaps have an egg with it - or face the consequences. Blaming a tablet that you take for anxiety, is a cop out. You know very well that the only way to get your number down is to cut down on the carbs. Have a word with your doctor or diabetes nurse, perhaps they can suggest a solution.

frenchlady

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You really should not stop taking prescribed drugs unless your doctor tells you to. This drug should not have any effect on your blood sugar levels anyway. You have answered your own question. Either give up the toast - or cut down on a slice and perhaps have an egg with it - or face the consequences. Blaming a tablet that you take for anxiety, is a cop out. You know very well that the only way to get your number down is to cut down on the carbs. Have a word with your doctor or diabetes nurse, perhaps they can suggest a solution.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Hi Mist
I'm not trying to be nasty but for someone with Type 2 bread is probably not all that great. If they're trying to control their condition without meds it could be very bad for them and their blood sugar control.
This is the thing @mist type 1 and type 2 without meds are controlled differently. I and others who control our diabetes by diet and exercise alone have to find how much carbohydrate that we can tolerate while keeping control of our diabetes. I too find that bread (even low GI ) spikes my blood. This disease is not one solution fits all. I have been diabetic for 10yrs and am still learning

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness

Please, any suggestions? Thanks
How about full fat Greek yogurt instead, it takes a bit of time to stop wanting your toast ( I speak from experience) especially when hubby is still eating it :) but it can be done. If you feel you have to have your toast low GI is best with a 30min walk right afterwards :)

M

mist

This is the thing @mist type 1 and type 2 without meds are controlled differently. I and others who control our diabetes by diet and exercise alone have to find how much carbohydrate that we can tolerate while keeping control of our diabetes. I too find that bread (even low GI ) spikes my blood. This disease is not one solution fits all. I have been diabetic for 10yrs and am still learning

Indeed

Reactions: callyandy

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know nothing about anything Beadiejay, but I would stick with your toast! You enjoy it. However, have you tried the Lidl rolls? They are yummy and have only 9 carbs per roll, and they are HUGE. Someone mentioned cutting them lengthways and that they made good toast. We can have coffee with whipped cream, I know, weird isn't it? Perhaps you could try that. I hope you manage to find something,

(written with two of my three on my knee)
I agree with @ellagy, the lidl rolls are really nice. I took them to a bbq yesterday, they were the first bread I'd had since I was diagnosed. Really yummy, everyone tried them and found them nice... Mistake! :mad: Mine!! all mine!! :grumpy:. Still, at least I didn't feel left out:D

Reactions: 13lizanne

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I agree with @ellagy, the lidl rolls are really nice. I took them to a bbq yesterday, they were the first bread I'd had since I was diagnosed. Really yummy, everyone tried them and found them nice... Mistake! :mad: Mine!! all mine!! :grumpy:. Still, at least I didn't feel left out:D
I have found something even better callyandy... they are rolls made to a recipe on Dietdoctor. The colour is a little weird but the taste is good, The recipe makes 8 and there are 2g carbs in each roll. The best thing is no one else will want to eat them...the psyllium in them makes them sooooo dark they look burnt!

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One slice of toast for most people is fine. As for cinnamon, it's magic, especially on toast. I have it in my cocoa sometimes, and no i don't mean drinking chocolate! Nutmeg and other spices are good for diabetes also. Ground cloves I read just now is better!
Nope, can't do cloves, makes me think of marathon man and toothache!! :eek:will try the cinnamon though. :happy:

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have found something even better callyandy... they are rolls made to a recipe on Dietdoctor. The colour is a little weird but the taste is good, The recipe makes 8 and there are 2g carbs in each roll. The best thing is no one else will want to eat them...the psyllium in them makes them sooooo dark they look burnt!
Ahhh psyllium...thanks @ellagy. Mum and I looked into this, seems very expensive? However, if it works, maybe I'll give it ago. When my oven is fixed..... I've got a temporary one I've had for 6 years. The new one is in my kitchen, but still in it's box. Life is just one funny, overwhelming, time distorting story after another:meh:

ellagy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Ahhh psyllium...thanks @ellagy. Mum and I looked into this, seems very expensive? However, if it works, maybe I'll give it ago. When my oven is fixed..... I've got a temporary one I've had for 6 years. The new one is in my kitchen, but still in it's box. Life is just one funny, overwhelming, time distorting story after another:meh:
Oh you poor girl, go and give that wee doggie a hug, throw a t-bag into a mug and sit and have a cuppa!