I missed my injection time, should I just skip my Rapid insulin and take my Night insulin?

budapest7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all and greetings from Hungary. I'm on Humelin R and N. Doses of 14R, 8R, then 10 R and 14N at 9pm. Been T2 for 3 weeks, so still a newbie, when i left the hospital 3 weeks ago, i was on 10R,8R,8R and 12N, my blood glucose were all over the place, so last week the dr upped my insulin. I messed up my times, started day off late, first injection at 10am, 2 hrs late, then whole schedule delayed, and missed now my 7pm time and it's 9.15pm here. Should i just take my 14N night insulin, or take 4R and wait 2 or 3 hours? Thx for any replies

budapest7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
BTW, just installed the app on my Android Tablet, and not my pc, so hope I can see when i get a reply

Reactions: ickihun

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
welcome here budapest7 :)

I don´t know of this ... some others do I´ll tag @daisy so you get the information that everyone new gets here

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I have just seen that @catapillar is posting this evening, hopefully she can pop in and advise :)
Insulin ain't my area of expertise :)

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, I don't have any experience of humalin, or fixed time doses. So I'm not the best person to try.

Reactions: Brunneria

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all and greetings from Hungary. I'm on Humelin R and N. Doses of 14R, 8R, then 10 R and 14N at 9pm. Been T2 for 3 weeks, so still a newbie, when i left the hospital 3 weeks ago, i was on 10R,8R,8R and 12N, my blood glucose were all over the place, so last week the dr upped my insulin. I messed up my times, started day off late, first injection at 10am, 2 hrs late, then whole schedule delayed, and missed now my 7pm time and it's 9.15pm here. Should i just take my 14N night insulin, or take 4R and wait 2 or 3 hours? Thx for any replies

Budapest, unfortunately I have no idea what you should do, however, I have moved your thread to the Type 2 with Insulin sub-forum for more visibility by those who may be able to help.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok so humalin r = rapid acting, humalin n = long acting.

Not really sure why you would have been put on strict times @budapest7 . This is just a basal (long acting) bolus (rapid acting) regime. You take your rapid acting with meals and your long acting once (or for some people twice) a day.

Try to keep the long acting at about the same time every day.

Take your rapid acting with meals.

You don't need to leave any particular time between taking the rapid acting and the long acting, but if you end up taking them at the same time, don't inject them in the same place because the long acting will slow down the action of the rapid acting.

Reactions: Brunneria

budapest7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, was offline, @Andbreath, my blood glucose was 6.5 Mmol/L. Thx for writing, still trying to get used to this app. I had a couple of scares when I was overactive yesterday outside in the garden, forgot to eat properly and was late 2 hrs with injection, my BG was 1.3....took a dextrose tab and went to a normal 6.5. I am on LCHF diet and prolly forgot to eat some carbs. OK now it's 8pm here, only taken 1 injection at 1.42pm, 14 R Humilin, am 2 hrs late and normally take my Night insulin N at 9pm. Should i take half of normal dose of 8 R Humilin, meaning 4 and take my N insulin in 2 or 3 hrs...i had a stroke 16 years ago and my short term memory shot to pieces . Thx to any replies

budapest7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thx @Brunneria, still trying to synch everything in this new lifestyle. I am bloody hungary, so instead of just skipping a shot and going straight to N insulin, i took 4 instead of 8 as i don't know how N insulin works with food. I passed out...lol. i mean fell asleep, so didn't read replies in forum. I very grateful for all help

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, was offline, @Andbreath, my blood glucose was 6.5 Mmol/L. Thx for writing, still trying to get used to this app. I had a couple of scares when I was overactive yesterday outside in the garden, forgot to eat properly and was late 2 hrs with injection, my BG was 1.3....took a dextrose tab and went to a normal 6.5. I am on LCHF diet and prolly forgot to eat some carbs. OK now it's 8pm here, only taken 1 injection at 1.42pm, 14 R Humilin, am 2 hrs late and normally take my Night insulin N at 9pm. Should i take half of normal dose of 8 R Humilin, meaning 4 and take my N insulin in 2 or 3 hrs...i had a stroke 16 years ago and my short term memory shot to pieces . Thx to any replies

Budapest, I'm sorry. I can't comment on your insulin as I've never used it myself, so I'd be guessing, which is not what you need! I'll tag @catapillar and @himtoo and see if they can help you at all.

Regarding your memory: If you use a smart phone, could you set up alarms to remind you when do take your meds? I know I use I use my iPhone alarm clock or timer to do my bloods. If you take your insulin at set times, you could just have a recurring alarm for whatever time you take it.

My memory is usually pretty good, but we can all be distracted by something more interesting than taking meds or stabbing a fingertip!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
The most important thing is testing when taking insulin. Are you using a note book diary or an app? I'd suggest a written diary til your reguime is a bit more cemented.
If you can eat at set times then it will make this big change a lot easier until you're no longer a novice. ;)
Taking insulin can cover snacks too but depends if your an obese type 2 or not.

You will be able to manage your new regime better with a bit more framework which should be allowed to settle in before making further changes in diet and exercise.
Right.
Treat today as day 1 and establish if you've had a breakfast or not. Of course you're advised to have a breakfast but if skipped due to forgetfulness then try and use your alarm to definitely remember tomorrow. So if late in eating breakfast and due lunch then treat with lunch insulin. Get better and better at remembering 3 meals per day. Night insulin is always controversial as everyone reacts differently to it.
Myself at first usage of insulin I needed levermir and novarapid through pregnancy. I used levermir twice but maybe because of raising hormones and weight.
My advice is to try and keep just above good levels at the start, til you get a better grip and understanding of how YOUR body takes to the units. Then tweek as needed. Down or up a unit at a time if you're an adult. Try and avoid hypos as not pleasant but risky through the night.
Test test and test again to perfect. Don't take too much insulin before bed as a night hypo can be much more dangerous because of a few factors.
Lchf diet will help to keep hypos at a minimum and the need for less insulin and severe corrections, I feel.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The most important thing is testing when taking insulin. Are you using a note book diary or an app? I'd suggest a written diary til your reguime is a bit more cemented.
If you can eat at set times then it will make this big change a lot easier until you're no longer a novice. ;)
Taking insulin can cover snacks too but depends if your an obese type 2 or not.

You will be able to manage your new regime better with a bit more framework which should be allowed to settle in before making further changes in diet and exercise.
Right.
Treat today as day 1 and establish if you've had a breakfast or not. Of course you're advised to have a breakfast but if skipped due to forgetfulness then try and use your alarm to definitely remember tomorrow. So if late in eating breakfast and due lunch then treat with lunch insulin. Get better and better at remembering 3 meals per day. Night insulin is always controversial as everyone reacts differently to it.
Myself at first usage of insulin I needed levermir and novarapid through pregnancy. I used levermir twice but maybe because of raising hormones and weight.
My advice is to try and keep just above good levels at the start, til you get a better grip and understanding of how YOUR body takes to the units. Then tweek as needed. Down or up a unit at a time if you're an adult. Try and avoid hypos as not pleasant but risky through the night.
Test test and test again to perfect. Don't take too much insulin before bed as a night hypo can be much more dangerous because of a few factors.
Lchf diet will help to keep hypos at a minimum and the need for less insulin and severe corrections, I feel.

Ickihun - I don't believe your post addresses Budapests question. @Juicyj could you Budapest help at all?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Your nighttime insulin doesn't have to be taken hours away from your regular insulin. You can do your nighttime insulin at its usual time or as soon after as possible BUT do NOT inject any other insulin near it because it can mess up the nighttime insulin by affecting its action.

You ask about taking your regular insulin. This is the insulin that's your meal time insulin. If you're not eating anything then you shouldn't have it. It's purpose is to help deal with your meals (to put it simply).

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry @budapest7 i don't really know how to add clarity on my previous post at #10 or @azures at #18

Rapid acting (humalin r) is the insulin you take with meals. If you aren't eating, don't take it. If you are eating, take it.

Long acting (humalin n) you take once a day - try to take it at approximately the same time every day, but a few hours here or there won't make any difference.

You don't need to leave any particular time elapse between taking rapid and long acting insulin, if you are taking them at the same time, you don't need to adjust doses, but you should not inject them in the same place on your body because they will mess up the timing action if injected in the same place.

Hope that helps. And you are feeling better after your hypo - to avoid this, if you aren't eating, don't inject rapid insulin.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
as your short term memory is not as good these days , there is a product on the market that will help for knowing if you have taken your insulin ( and not forgotten to take it )
it is called timesulin -- link here https://timesulin.com/
it would be worth finding out if you are able to purchase this for your insulin pens , as you will then know if you injected.

Reactions: Mep