Why oh why did I ever stop...?!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I don't reallly understand why theres such probs though when some choose to low carb and sime don't... If people go out for a meal invariably you don't all eat the same. So why the difference at home?

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Exactly its fine if you choise to eat LCHF but it shouldnt be forced on others. I know I would be pretty p***** if simeone forced me to eat a certain way. Everyone in our house has at least a few items or meals of mine that they like and if they decide to eat the same as me fine but I will never force them thats just unfair.

skal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree that the others should not be forced to follow your diet if they choose not to. I would however suggest you have your own cupboard with all your things and snacks in it. That way you won't be digging through the cupboards seeing all the biccies and other snacks you are trying to avoid. It is easier when you don't get the visual stimulus, a bit like out of sight out of mind...

skal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On another note, after 5 minutes of cravings yesterday I haven't had any more. Yesterday's food consisted of bockwurst for breakfast, veal escalope with half an onion and like 6 green beans, a few nuts, boiled egg and a chicken breast with 2 florets of broccoli and cream sauce with berries and clotted cream. Sugars were between 7 and 8.4 towards the evening so I need to look out for hidden carbs again I think as had some no added sugar ribena. Also felt hungry a few times so I need more fat I think.
Looking at fat fast for when I'm back at work to continue for a couple of days a week to boost the effects of the diet. Saw some pretty amazing fat bomb recipes yesterday.

skal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Day 4 and it seems to be the time for carb crashing. Hypo like symptoms but sugars were 9 so I will test again in an hour. Really feeling weird, which isn't surprising considering I was eating 300 carbs and more a day. Not craving as had 6 pecans on waking and some salmon and 1/2 avocado for breakfast as well as 4 cherry tomatoes and a coffee with coconut milk. It's almost like being drunk... :dead:

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What is it they say? Hell is other people or something?
Not that I'm wishing my family away of course.
It really would be unfair to expect everyone else to take on a diabetic lifestyle, although it would be nice if they offered. You seem very determined, be prepared for the headaches and such in week 2 won't you? Good luck!

skal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had a headache all this time already so just powering on... I got a wake up call watching the panorama about type 2 diabetes disaster that is threatening us and also at work as an operating theatre nurse. I want to keep my toes and legs and fingers and eyes... the way I was going that was going to be questionable soon...

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had a headache all this time already so just powering on... I got a wake up call watching the panorama about type 2 diabetes disaster that is threatening us and also at work as an operating theatre nurse. I want to keep my toes and legs and fingers and eyes... the way I was going that was going to be questionable soon...

Just keep up the good work!

Fear of losing my sight (having had a serious - non diabetic eye scare just before I retired) has kept me on the straight and narrow in spite of having to live with cupboards full of carboholic food.

But I've been so lucky in that i've only ever had very few cravings, and a competition between my eyes and a carby treat can only have winner, and I also quickly learned to make my own low carb "tasties" for times of need.

Robbity

skal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, fasting level today was 10.1 so it is steadily coming down. Yesterday's food consisted of salmon, avocado and tomatoes, chicken breast, and ham and eggs with broccoli and loads of butter and finally a hot chocolate made with cream, water, cocoa powder and 85% chocolate are with some sugarfree syrup to sweeten.

For the time being I'm steering clear of making any sweets and baking bit do have some lidl rolls in the freezer in case I get a real bad craving. But today starts with cooking, ham omelette to start, flax crackers and cheese for snack/ lunch and then steak with fried sprouts and onions for dinner.

skal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The last 3 tests have all shown levels of 6.3- 6.7 and I'm feeling good. Headache is gone and when I settled for my nap, I wasn't tired so got up again... no cravings as the crackers are delicious and so lovely with some gorgonzola. Just dinner to cook and eat and I'm not at all hungry after a strip of a minute steak I had about 4.

It almost feels like my body isn't craving because it's just so happy the levels aren't sky high anymore. No more grazing throughout the day and constantly looking for the next fix. It seems that I have also lost nearly 4 kilos in the last week, a lovely little side effect.

Amandamc2711

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just reading your post and it's giving me the push to get back onto low carb. Well done, keep going. I'm just writing out the shopping list to start tomorrow

Reactions: skal

skal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had a slip or two with potatoes this week. I love a good spud I do... but I haven't spiked over 10 which is a nice change on running at nearly 20.
Obviously my weight loss has stalled this week but blood sugars are running between 6 and 7 still. I did have a result of 5.7 after a good days eating and some walking so I am definitely heading in the right direction.

Back on track today and even with my potato eating, have no cravings or eat more.
As the saying goes, baby steps and all that jazz...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had a slip or two with potatoes this week. I love a good spud I do... but I haven't spiked over 10 which is a nice change on running at nearly 20.
Obviously my weight loss has stalled this week but blood sugars are running between 6 and 7 still. I did have a result of 5.7 after a good days eating and some walking so I am definitely heading in the right direction.

Back on track today and even with my potato eating, have no cravings or eat more.
As the saying goes, baby steps and all that jazz...

well done.. keep it up you know you can do it.just forget the spuds.. they're past but next time try and avoid..

Last edited: