Ketones?

Dodger

Dislikes
Lamb
<b></b><i></i><font face="Arial Black"></font id="Arial Black"><font size="6"></font id="size6"><font color="blue"></font id="blue">Hi All, wonder if you can help, just tested post prandial (2hrs) and reading is 16.7 mmol/l but my meter was flashing Ketones?. I don't have any ketone strips and wondered if this is a major worry or to ignore?
I will be seeing the nurse next week and will mention it to her but your advice would also be welcome, I haven't eaten anything unusual, the only thing different was I missed my lunch as breakfast was late and didn't get back home in time for lunch.

<b><i><font color="blue">God bless and regards from Roger.</b></i></font id="blue">

Fugs

If you feel ok in yourself test your sugars in an hour or so to see if your bm is lower.
Most of the testers throw up the check ketones flag if it measures sugars over a certain level.
If however you feel unwell take yourself to A&E. They can do a simple urine test for ketones and that will hopefully put your mind at rest. Also if you are giving off ketones you'll be in the right place to get it sorted

>^..^<

Addy

As Fugs said meters usually flag ketones when the reading is high, when you see your nurse ask her for ketone strips so that you can test for them at home when your levels are high.

...falling is not the problem, it's when you land...

sugar

Hi Rodger,
having "ketones" isn't good, but the fact that you know your blood sugar is high, and are trying to do something about it is teh important thing here, as I think that you would do exactly the same thing for ketones. Having ketones means that your body is burning teh wrong type of energy. You can usually tell if your breath smells of pear drops/nail varnish remover etc...and you tend to feel c***. Try to avoid at all costs, but you have tested your blood, and know where you stand, so can do as much about it as possible. Like was said above, if you do start to feel really bad, go to A&E. In my mis spent youth, I once got so bad that they had to put me on a drip and replace lots of salt in my body, due to burning ketones. I did know about itthough, as I could hardly breath...it is important to do something before this stage.
Interestingly, and I have not been told this before, ketonacidolysis is fatal to unborn babies. Knowing this, I paniced when I had a high blood sugar reading, and phoned my midwife. She told me not to panic, as you only tend to have ketonacidolysis (sp???) if you have high blood sugar for a few days, or have been ill for a few days.
No harm in asking for the strips though...but also ask your nurse what to do if they conform ketones. I would be really nterested to know!

Thanks,
J

Dodger

Dislikes
Lamb
Hi All, thanks for the replies, I tested before bedtime and it had dropped to 10.7mmol/l then this mornings faasting test was 7.4mmol/l, I do feel a bit off today but haven't had much sleep about 2 1/2 hours, will ask nurse on Monday and see what she has to say, also will have my latest HBA1C results, thanks.:)

<b><i><font color="blue">God bless and regards from Roger.</b></i></font id="blue">