What can I use to replace potatoes & pasta?

northlanguy

I am recently diagnosed and am trying to keep my carb intake down but am finding this really hard.

The hardest part is at dinner time when I'm used to having a plate of mash or pasta and I just simply don't know what to replace these items with?

I was always brought up with a bit of potatoe, a bit of veg and my main on my plate.

So what do you guys out there eat at dinner time with your meat & veg?

Driving me up the wall.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I go to Asda.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Re: What can I use to replace ptatoes & pasta?

Cauliflower makes a good replacement for mashed spud and some of that spaghetti squash thingy for pasta.

I'm sure if you Google for other replacements, you will find many suggestions.

I just did that and found the following link to start you off ...good luck!

http://www.essortment.com/lifestyle/lowcarbsubstit_sbkj.htm

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.

You can just have more of the green leafy veggies
Hana

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Some of us who use low GI/GL methods can actually eat small amounts of Pasta and Potato. We don't have to avoid those foods at all. I usually restrict myself to about two very small potatoes and plenty of fresh Veg to fill me up. My Bg levels are fine after this. I'm getting back to normal after a recent illness.

The only way to know if you can do this is to test before and 1 and 2 hrs after meals. This will clearly show if you need to restrict consumption of these foods drastically.

I too love meat and two veg..... :D Maybe even three ! :D

Ken

broads

Instead of using ordinary pasta I use Dreamfields. Works well with me. BS level goes up a little bit, I don't have a spike after an hour and am back to normal after two hours. Wouldn't be without Dreamfields.

Reactions: 2 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just had roast beef with creamy leeks cabbage broccoli and I made sliced potatos fried in olive oil for my husband and I fried some sliced celariac along with the spuds .Ifind that lots of different veg make it easier to eat and with lots of gravy it was very good .I am trying to put on weight so I can add cream to my leeks and although I am trying lowish carbs to keep my bgs down I do eat a couple of thin slices of potato .Pasta I find more difficult Imake pasta with salmon for John I eat my salmon with lots of tomato, cucumber, peppers, cream cheese ,coleslaw ,with basil and parsley I just mix it all up and it is not as bad as it sounds! I hope this helps a bit. CAROL

Reactions: lorraine95

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
I just have less potatoes, (new ones) and pasta, I can't give them up completely. My BG aren't affected that much.
Have you tried a lower carb pasta? Chilli penne pasta from Asda is lower in carb than other pastas. It taste quite nice too.
I think if you try to give up too much, it just becomes boring :roll:

Cowboyjim

You are not the only one troubled by the boring traditional diet. Drives me mad too especially since I live in a family of four and we like trad food.
It is just insane to be afflicted by something that prevents you from eating what you think everyone else on the planet is eating. What a magnificantly **** digestive system we have....;)
Us Brits have spuds with everything - mash, chips, you name it.
On weekends we used to have curry with rice or maybe Chinese, noodles, fried rice, etc.... more starch.
Or maybe you fancy italian? Sorry mate, no pasta for you... nor pizza for that matter.
Side order of bread, nan or otherwise? No chance mate. Egg foo yung? Just about.
So, what can I have? Not a lot really. Well, not unless you take your tablets and then a good birching.
Yes, it really is so unfair. But then again there should be more choice but until someone wakes up properly to the plight of the millions of Diabetics it'll remain for us to fend for ourselves.
It shouldn't be long to wait though. Numbers of afflicted people are rising like never before, soon the catering companies will be jumping on the bandwagon enjoyed by so many pharm companies with drugs and test strips etc.

Like the others here have said, find out what suits you by testing. Then try cutting down the quantities till it isn't hurting so bad. Don't let it beat you - you beat it! We are not alone. 8)

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi NorthIanguy.

As others have suggested, rather than ditch them all-together, try having a smaller portion instead and test to see what impact this has on your blood glucose. Say you normally have 4-5 potato's, try having 2 and compensate with more fresh veg, same with the pasta, try half the amount and test. Its certainly worth a try before you give up on them all-together.

Good luck!

Nigel

rizzo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a suggestion (which probably wouldn't work for most) but you could try adding a little grain to your plate in the form of quinoa, cous cous or bulgar wheat. They are still carby, but have higher protein levels than you would expect. I find they make a change from traditional carbs and they don't send me straight to sleep like rice, pasta or potatoes!

Doris date

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Cauliflower makes a good replacement for mashed spud and some of that spaghetti squash thingy for pasta.

I'm sure if you Google for other replacements, you will find many suggestions.

I just did that and found the following link to start you off ...good luck!

http://www.essortment.com/lifestyle/lowcarbsubstit_sbkj.htm
Great for this...is salmon lentils and some mashed colli ok for 1 meal...x

Doris date

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Lentils, salmon and mashed couliflower would be a good dish...also on Amazon you can find low carb pasta and tortillas...

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Doris date You're responding to a thread that's 7 years old now, Hobs may not respond to your post as they haven't logged in for 14 weeks now :)