Don't want to give up my toast for breakfast, but...

peterjones6000

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Miserable people
I was leaving Vannes hospital the diabetic dietician gave my a chart of what I can or cannot eat.......a couple of quick quotes
Breakfast 4 slices of bread approx 8g +20g butter lunch60g bread dinner 60g to be included with the meals 7am I am at our village bakery for my hot fresh loaf for my bread and butter breakfast

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh you poor girl, go and give that wee doggie a hug, throw a t-bag into a mug and sit and have a cuppa!
Bless you , called me a girl!! 49 and proud I made it this far!!:D

BeadieJay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You really should not stop taking prescribed drugs unless your doctor tells you to. This drug should not have any effect on your blood sugar levels anyway. You have answered your own question. Either give up the toast - or cut down on a slice and perhaps have an egg with it - or face the consequences. Blaming a tablet that you take for anxiety, is a cop out. You know very well that the only way to get your number down is to cut down on the carbs. Have a word with your doctor or diabetes nurse, perhaps they can suggest a solution.

I'm not blaming my anxiety meds for my bsl being high. Someone suggested that it can raise blood sugars, so I was querying it. I haven't stopped taking my meds. I was supposed to see my GP last week, but had to bury my father instead, so now can't see my GP until next month. I will ask him about it then. If he says that it does raise my bsl but I need the meds, then I'll continue taking the meds. I'm not stupid.

BeadieJay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Someone mentioned having peanut butter on toast to stop the spike. Tried it today. 7.3 before breakfast and only 7.8 2 hours after. Still a bit high, but not the usual rise of 2 or more points that I usually see.

A

asparagusp

7.8 is within range which is less than 8.5! I must try toast and peanut butter for my breakfast and see if it's the same increase. Did you put ordinary butter on your toast too?

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you haven't already I recommend you try Whole Earth Mixed Seed Peanut Butter, it has peanuts, sunflower , pumpkin and flaxseeds. Absolutely delicious and is stated as total carbs of 4.6g per 100g.

A

asparagusp

Yummy! So how many carbohydrates in a jar then? I can easily munch my way through a jar within three days! lol

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to use restraint with this product! Its just as nice if not nicer than the other Whole Earth products. I have checked the carb content with them and they assure me it is correct.

myrio

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
VEGETABLES
some very intresting ideas in the reply will try the sainsbury bread i just love toast but it does make me spike

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was leaving Vannes hospital the diabetic dietician gave my a chart of what I can or cannot eat.......a couple of quick quotes
Breakfast 4 slices of bread approx 8g +20g butter lunch60g bread dinner 60g to be included with the meals 7am I am at our village bakery for my hot fresh loaf for my bread and butter breakfast

So, are you on insulin?

The reason I ask is because the people on this thread who seem most supportive of carbs for breakfast (bread and milk, etc) also seem to be the people who are on insulin.

In contrast, the people with T2 who are on a low (or no) medication regime are posting that they need to watch the carbs in milk and bread.

I believe the original post was by someone who does not use insulin. Their profile states they are on a low dose of Metformin.

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hia,
Coming off bread is so hard, I can do it for a few weeks but then I crave it! I used to have toast everyday for breakfast too (wholemeal) but to bring down my carb count I started having natural yoghurt with milled nuts and a handful of strawberries, this doesn't send my blood sugar levels crazy. Maybe try doing this twice a week in the morning and see if you get used to it, experiment with different toppings while still having toast the rest of the week. This way you can slowly come off bread or at least half the the amount you have per week! I used to hate plain yoghurt but with healthy stuff on top I actually look forward to it in the morning!
I was once proud to say that I ate toast every day of my life - let's face it, it was promoted as a really healthy thing to do, so long as you ate moderate amounts of wholemeal, granary, multi-grain, et al. Stopping has been more difficult than I can say! I know it's only bread, not like coming off tobacco, alcohol or hard drugs, but I do get mild withdrawal symptoms and I really have to be forceful in my resolution not to have even one, small, thin slice - it's the top of a slippery slope! However, if I even think for a second of hot buttered toast with a covering of Marmite, I am more than half way to disaster!

A

asparagusp

Just an aside . Are you aware that once bread is toasted it's loses the b vitamins.