ITV TONIGHT Programme on thursday 27th October 2016 - "Can Your Diet Defeat Diabetes?"

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting in the mail today.. article stating that GPs are too afraid of upsetting patients than to tell them to lose weight or go on a referral scheme to weightwatchers.

Something isn't right in our world that GPs should be scared of telling someone they are over weight.
Maybe a calorie enhanced GP feels a bit awkward posing the question???

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Maybe a calorie enhanced GP feels a bit awkward posing the question???

Love it!! You reminded me of locum GP at last practice few years ago. He was so obese He reached over to the printer and his chair went flying and he ended up on floor. I had to go to get help for him!! I was the patient. My practice manager moaned as the locum broke the chair. I walked out happier than I walked in... I was just a chuckling that he hadn't tried to give me any dietary advice!!

Reactions: Prem51

primmers

My GP has no qualms telling me to lose weight for my health. He's right- I should. My BMI is 26 at the mo. Looking at him, his is significantly higher, and it isn't muscle. Can't help feeling that that would reduce the impact of the message for a lot of patients...

Reactions: Serena51 and Prem51

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haha! Love the term calorie enhanced. Brilliant.

I completely understand docs not wanting to address the Elephant In The Room (me). And I admit that in the past when they have raised the subject, I have been somewhat impatient.

I recall one conversation which went along the lines of:
'Yes. I know I need to lose weight. I have actually been dieting for 20 years and yoyoing for most of it. I know exactly what I am supposed to be eating (which of course was lfhc) but I am working 16 hour days, 6 days a week. The best solution to my weight issues would probably be a stay-at-home wife who could prepare every meal from scratch and have it on the table when I get home every day, but that ain't gonna happen in the foreseeable future!'

Poor man. It was just my own self-frustration and self-anger talking, but he got Both Barrels!

Thank heavens for lchf. And a change of job. And a lovely husband who bears with my pesky dietary restrictions.

I am now able to EASILY prevent weight gain, and am slowly inching the weight DOWN, pound by pound. Marvellous. But of course, the doc would be horrified at what I am eating. Oh, the irony.

Reactions: Prem51 and Indy51

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Thanks for that.
The elephant in the studio is always Diabetes UK, who are militantly opposed to fat, especially sat fat.
I'm waiting for a response to my latest email on the Balance article.
All I get is the 'party line' and "we'll pass your comments on to our dietitian."
I consider them the enemy of T2Ds.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
Thanks for the reminder. Will watch on the iPlayer later tonight because i have to attend a work meeting this evening.

Reactions: ickihun

lindisfel

Expert
I hope they do not look for a controversial angle as they often do! I think our diet needs good public relations ATM. Perhaps we should qualify fats and say high good fats. We certainly would not consume a lot of omega 6 oils for example. Derek

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I am the guy who features in the ITV program,me tonight, 27th Oct 7:30 pm. Watch the programme first and ask questions after.
We get to see what you look like. Now you'll have to load a piccie for us.:)

Excellent piece in the paper,well done.

Last edited:

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well it would have been good if BBC had done that as the second half of their effort the other week. This was biased the other way if anything.
It is good to see this alternative to drugs, drugs, drugs getting air-time. The more exposure Prof. Taylor gets the better.
Even the cook/chef wasn't off the wall, swapping starchy carbs for puy lentils, which of themselves are not much lower in carbs. The 'sausage pie and chips' lady surprised me with her curry. I think she had the rice from a 10 man ration pack all to herself. I was screaming at the screen to get her to get a smaller plate:)

Well done @Peter Maher on your efforts - impressive

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Even the cook/chef wasn't off the wall, swapping starchy carbs for puy lentils, which of themselves are not much lower in carbs. The 'sausage pie and chips' lady surprised me with her curry. I think she had the rice from a 10 man ration pack all to herself. I was screaming at the screen to get her to get a smaller plate:)
Watched it and recorded. Very interesting. About the recipes I think that the plate with the lentils was an example of a tasty dish that isn't carb and calories loaded and not to make too strange plates. The rice plate "before" was really big!
I suppose that in some cases the mere fact to start a diet creates more food-awareness, so even for a diet that is not low-carbohydrate one gets a reduction on the intake of carbs and calories: in cascade one gets better glycemic and weight control.

If, on the other hand one follows so-and-so the diet any diet will not work.

Last edited:

warder100

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I find it frustrating to sit through programs telling me how to cook and eat to reverse T2. I am far from overweight and exercise most days, alas I need insulin as the ole pancreas aint doing nothing nowadays. It would seem the old adage of in moderation for all things is the theme wouldn't that be a better campaign slogan or something like it or am I way off the mark in me dotage :)

callyandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a newbie type 2 who's working hrough the LCHF programme (Week 5 starts tomorrow) I found the programme was pitched a lot more calmly than the recent BBC efforts. I guess it was good that they finally said carbs = sugar. The high fat thing is very hard to "sell" in a short tv programme, but if they make us, jo public, understand savoury carbs need to be avoided as well as the sweeties. Sorry, don't really know why I'm rambling on to the converted:rolleyes:, but I was pleased that my mum saw it, every little piece of new information she can read, makes her more able to understand where I am now.

And as @walnut_face said, well done @Peter Maher , very brave of you to show the world your situation, and congratulations on your success.:D