Code free meter query

Quirkybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Morning folks

Would anyone have any ideas why my code free meter is playing up please?

I only noticed earlier to record my bg after breakfast and it's come up as 7.8. I thought that was odd and low for me, as when I'd recorded my before breakfast bg it was 11.7.

I then checked the date and that is correct, but the times are totally all over the place. Plus it's never been too much lower, 2 hrs after my breakfast.

I'm new to all of this and struggling a tad, readings are up and down, the drop lovely into the accepted zone for type 2 3 to 4 hrs after a meal.

Many thanks, but not to worry if you can't help

Beth x

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As far as the readings are concerned you could retest on another finger? It is also worth checking that the monitor is behaving by using a control solution https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/glucose-control-solution-low-and-high-parameters/

I think we all question our meters from time to time, but remember you are trying to bring your BG down. I noticed as mine came down that I got low readings every few days, and as time progressed they became more frequent and eventually the norm.
These days if I get a reading above 7 2 hours after eating I'm all for scrapping the plate and sending it to a lab for analysis!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just use mine to get the reading.. never check the time.. mine says its 15:45 at the moment.. readings are usually fine though. What did you have for breakfast?

Quirkybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you bulkbuilder and walnut_face

I printed off my first month of readings which was up until middle of September, as it seems to record 7, 14 and 30 days and it started October fine, it's only since this morning the times have gone wonky. My reading at lunch time before lunch was 5.8. It can be as low as that for me around 1pm, so I'll see about 15.10 what it shows then.

Bulkbuilder - Dare I say (you may recall how much I like my cereal lol), I had 2 weetabix and less than half of a measly thin banana, s/s milk and tea. In work I had around 11.30 a piece of toblerone, then my lunch at 13.10.

I prefer the dates, only because, if I forget to select before or after food, I'll get confused which is which!

Thank you. I will check for the solution and switch fingers later

kenneth_SW19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey QB,
Not sure if your problem is fixed as yet but....
Occasionally its a problem with the test strip itself. They are generally pretty good, but dependent on storage conditions and temps etc. you may happen to get a duff reading once every few months if unlucky! Just try a new strip and repeat the test if you are at all worried (or need a genuine SAFETY check).
And Mr.Walnut is right, you can get 'Control' solutions to ensure the monitor is correctly calibrated. I did just that a few years back when I was unsure, and the control check 'verified' the monitor okay.

As an afterthought, if you wish to re-set your time/date stamp on the monitor; then try checking the destruction (sorry, Instruction) manual for your particular type of Monitor. It appears you are a new joiner (not necessarily a new diabetic?) but hopefully retained the User Manual its casing pocket perhaps. Mine is a (Bayer) 'Ascensia Contour' type; and on this one I [believe] the Memory recall button is pressed multiple times to lead through the Set Up process. Would guess that Time/Date details would be adjustable there - or similar on other models?

Best of luck.

Reactions: Quirkybee

Quirkybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you Kenneth and apologies for late acknowledgement.
I've pressed several times, but not arrived at the date/time stamp yet. Was all very rushed when I tried, so I will have a look again tonight. I don't know where I am without the date, haha.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
An incorrect time on the meter won't affect the readings or averages. You can re-adjust it according to the instructions in the manual. Occasionally I have noticed mine are wrong and have simply re-adjusted them. Sometimes it can be an early warning the batteries are dying.

I never take much notice of mine and never use the meter averages for anything at all. I record all my readings on an excel sheet in columns with the date down the side and appropriate headings with a note column at the end. That way I can average individual events, such as fasting, before lunch, 1 hour, 2 hour, before tea, random, bedtime, whatever I want. If I were to use my meter averages it would be nonsense in my case because of duplicate testing if I see an unexpected number. And we do see unexpected numbers, especially with the Codefree!