Hypo's (various thoughts and traits)

NeedleMagnet

Dislikes
See likes. Particular likes are Food, Archery, Walking
Hello
First post so apologies if this has been beaten to death by previous posters.... Anyhow, as an intro. goes, I'm 26, diabetic for 20 years. Type 1. Levels fair to ok, HBA1c last time was 7.4 as a basic indicator.

Anyhow, my reason for posting is to ask if anyone else who is diabetic has the traits i show when hypo.

I have over the years often gone hypo, I've had paramedics maybe ten times, but I usually pull myself through with brute willpower and determination.

Anyhow, two points on Hypo's:

1) Do you, have you ever been seriously low and gone through an experience that I can only call a divine sensation - I've had hypo's and unravelled the mysteries of the world and felt the touch of God while I'm japping out. It was a very strong sensation and something I think that back in the past, before Diabetes was recognised and before hypo's where recognised I could easily see how people could feel they've had "visions" and "blessings" from the big guy in the sky. For record I'm not really religious, but these sensations I know are caused by being hypo but I'm curious if others have similar experiences - one of mine was so "profound" to me the next morning (it was night) I woke and found I'd drawn a big cross on my bedroom wall in permanent marker!!!

2) Secondly, something that i discovered only recently by chance -- Do you ever find that as you slip into a hypo and loose co-ordination with your limbs that somehow (the mechanics is a mystery, any explanation?), i cant use my legs (and sometimes my arms) with any accuracy or focus when going hypo but as soon as someone else comes into the room my body somehow makes a "recovery", it is instant, by no means perfect but allows me a few seconds to grab a chocolate bar off the side or suchlike whereas before they walked into the room I was struggling to stay standing and walk. Any one else find this?

3) Joining up, What - briefly - is Type 1.5 ?

Cheers

Martin

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Martin,

1. No never, and I can't say that I've heard anyone else mention this before, perhaps this is unique to you, I can't really say what I make of this! :eek:

2. loss of co-ordination and muscle strength are common symptoms in a bad hypo, rather than a chocolate bar you need fast acting glucose inside you like lucozade, full-sugar coke or gluco-tabs, I use gluco-tabs and find these are very fast acting.

3. Here is a link to provide you with some good information about type 1.5, and by the way welcome! :D

http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_typ ... ype_15.php

Nigel

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Martin,

Interesting questions. On the 'visions' track... I have sometimes experienced amazing clarity of thought, or felt like I was thinking differently to the normal me. It's almost as if someone has switched off my inhibitors, turned up the imagination a few notches and dared me to discover the secrets of the world. I once planned a charity bike ride during and immediately after a hypo - and then dismissed it when back in the 'normal' world. I'm convinced I think differently - maybe something to do with the subconscious.

Unfortunately, science is very unwilling (for good reason) to experiment with diabetics in hypo state, but I'm sure something happens to the neurotransmitters/pathways.

Anyone else seen God? Or momentarily planned something amazing, only for the everyday mind to kick in?

Sam

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'll start with the 'easy' one!
1.5 is an unofficial 'catchall' category which covers several different types of diabetes

1)perhaps most often on this forum, it refers to LADA (latent autoimmune diabetes in adults) which is officially type 1. It's a form that has a slower onset in adults than classic type 1 and is quite frequently misdiagnosed in the early stages as type 2 . As it becomes more understood, it is being realised that 10% or more of adults diagnosed with diabetes may have this form.

2) it's sometimes used for MODY (mature onset diabetes of the young) which is a relatively rare genetic form of diabetes. It's neither type 1 nor type 2 (and isn't always diagnosed in the young!)

3) Its sometimes used for double diabetes, people who have type 1 and then become insulin resistant or occasionally children who are diagnosed with both insulin dependency and resistance.

There are probably some other forms that are called 1.5, it really isn't a brilliant term as it can lead to confusion.

As to your other questions, I think that we are all very different. I am very lucky and seem to be able to function quite well even at very low levels , and sadly haven't had any mystic experiences.

Oh and welcome!

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Hi there, welcome!

Answer to the first part of your post, can't say I can relate to the God connection but I have felt very confused so almost the opposite?! I wonder if that would explain your writing in the wall episode, I have lost my memory on 2 occasions (lost almost a week once but Docs reckon I was below 4 for several days). I do however feel like my brain works over time when hypo, I have to concentrate doubly hard and finally I sort myself out and eat something! So I am opposite to clarity?!

Second part, most definitely relate, my legs have gone before when majorly low but then when someone comes to my aid, I revert to normal and treat myself - I've never understood that and just think it's mother nature seeing me through and as help has arrived, I can stop panicking!

NeedleMagnet

Dislikes
shedges said:
Hi Martin,

Interesting questions. On the 'visions' track... I have sometimes experienced amazing clarity of thought, or felt like I was thinking differently to the normal me. It's almost as if someone has switched off my inhibitors, turned up the imagination a few notches and dared me to discover the secrets of the world. I once planned a charity bike ride during and immediately after a hypo - and then dismissed it when back in the 'normal' world. I'm convinced I think differently - maybe something to do with the subconscious.

Sam

Yes, this sounds very similar to my mentality during some hypo's - amazing clarity of thought and the sudden realisation i've completed life's jigsaw and can see the image it makes! :)

I've had numerous great ideas during a hypo that I've later been forced to reconsider due to the real world getting in the way! haha

NeedleMagnet

Dislikes
Debloubed said:
Hi there, welcome!

Second part, most definitely relate, my legs have gone before when majorly low but then when someone comes to my aid, I revert to normal and treat myself - I've never understood that and just think it's mother nature seeing me through and as help has arrived, I can stop panicking!

All we need to do now is force our hypo brains to hillucinate a person in the room and we can sort ourselves out easy :) !

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
well wouldn't that be helpful! lol! I have (horribly enough) been on my own and have (eventually) been able to self treat but after an exhausting, debilitating hypo. Outside help is much nicer if you ever find yourself in such a pickle! Your cross drawing incident it a bit spooky though, do you have any idea how low you get when having your moments of clarity?

NeedleMagnet

Dislikes
Debloubed said:
well wouldn't that be helpful! lol! I have (horribly enough) been on my own and have (eventually) been able to self treat but after an exhausting, debilitating hypo. Outside help is much nicer if you ever find yourself in such a pickle! Your cross drawing incident it a bit spooky though, do you have any idea how low you get when having your moments of clarity?

I found that being alone when going hypo has forced me to develop very strong willpower to force my resistant body to get to the food, often crawling as my legs cant balance my weight. I think that if I don't force myself to get some grub I'm going to die, that usually gets the mental reserves working!! :D

As for the religious experience, no, no idea how low I was, in truth I thought it was a wyrd terrible dream until waking up seeing a big black cross on my bedroom wall (15 inches or so). lol.

lilibet

@ Chris

My endo is convinced I must be having hypos all the time as my hba1c is 5.5 too,but I am not
He is now convinced its nocturnal hypos though I dont think so but tbh if symptoms disappear with good control (a risk of good control and frequent hypos) then maybe I am. Am going to test during the night to see. My meter average is higher than yours too, so go figure.....

Hope you dont mind me saying but if you are getting to 0.7mmol on your meter without knowing then that aint good in anyones book- not least the DVLA,. That level of unawarness will have your license of you in a second. Do you not get symptoms at all?
Mines have def changed and I need to reinterpret them. Prob is, they are similar to general life things (headache, feeling hot). I no longer get the adrenergic response until lower bg, or the floaty feelings which used to typify hypos in the high 3's so I need to be really alert to any change.

(My)Endos are always banging on about taking too much insulin as a way of dealing with spikes in bg but tbh Novo does the most in me by about 2hours max so if I am sitting at 7mmol at two hours, I wont drop to hypo levels so can mostly manage to do this (cept when my body wants to play up, which is ALWAYS :? ). I only ever get them if I overshoot, or underestimate carbs. Human error in other words

However, if you are going low to that degree then you need to look at your insulin maybe?

RichardFromHampshire

shedges said:
On the 'visions' track... I have sometimes experienced amazing clarity of thought, or felt like I was thinking differently to the normal me. It's almost as if someone has switched off my inhibitors, turned up the imagination a few notches and dared me to discover the secrets of the world. ... I'm convinced I think differently - maybe something to do with the subconscious.

I couldn't have put that better - that's exactly what I have experienced, but only say 4 or maybe 5 times in the 22 years of being a Type1. I must say the sensation was deeply seductive, but despite my best efforts I have never been able to experience it at times of my choosing (I gave up many years ago when I became old and jaded).

I have also experienced a few episodes of what I can only characterise as extreme deja vu when going low. I am absolutely convinced that I am 'repeating' a period of time as I'm coming round. Weird.

Richard

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
CarbsRok said:
@ Chris,
I have to agree with lilibet,
You really should not be driving it is a requirement to inform DVLA that you have impaired hypo warnings or in your case obviousley none :shock: You are a danger to yourself and other road users.
Try running your blood sugars a bit higher to see if you get your warning signs back or hand in your license before you kill someone. :(

Harsh words by CarbsRok but very, very true!

Chris, you could also ask to be switched onto another insulin, this I believe can sometimes bring back hypo awareness syptoms in people, failing that as Carbs says try running bg's slightly higher for a while to see if this brings them back.

I do feel for those that lose their hypo awareness, it can present all sorts of problems and not just in driving. As you are type 1, their should be no restrictions on the issue of test strips, so make sure you test as much as possible (more-so when driving) and keep plenty of strips and consumables in reserve. Good luck!

Nigel

A

Anonymous

Chris77a, this is a family site and foul language is not tolerated, hence your post has been edited. Any repetition of this will result in suspension or banning as per the rules of this forum.

jopar

Chris

Just because you've tested before you started your car journey is no gurantee that your blood sugars will remain within a safe range while driving, hence the importance to back this up with the ability to identify a on coming hypo, called hypo awareness...

You have actually given infomation which even if you weren't a diabetic would actually make one ponder you ability to holding any form of licence, driving 22 hours non-stopped is also totally irresponcible thing to do and dam right dangerous... And far from a boastful fet...

I sugest go away have a good think about what you are doing..

Ask youself, do you really won't your girlfriend to pick up your remains (as a paramedic, she could do if on duty) or see her distraught because she couldn't save the child you mowed down because YOU saw fit to ignored the law of the land, and common sense...

Or stand in front of a judge, with the grieving family of the person you killed!!!

Taking a blood test isn't enough to guarantee that you will remain fit to drive, it got to be backed up with hypo awareness full stop, no arguments if you can't identify an pending hypo then you can't drive.... It's ilegel no arguments..

A

Anonymous

No further comment is required on this matter. It has been dealt with by the moderators.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
1. I have had this. I've also had the reverse when everything seems so utterly awful and there is just no point for the world existing and no chance of redeeming it. Note to myself - do not read Donna Leon books while having a hypo. Since lack of glucose affects the brain I guess it's a logical outcome.

2. No. I can hold off my hypo symptoms for a while and try and pretend I'm normal when there are other people around who I don't want to admit that I am diabetic and incapable but once it gets to that stage it's very hard to do. On the other hand I'm more likely to go helpless when there are people around that I know I can rely on where when it is just me I find the necessary force to spring into action.

On driving I was told that your blood sugar must be at least 5mml before starting to take into account any dips. I was also told the thing about moving seats. In my experience 1 hour straight driving is enough to start to lower my blood sugar and I tend to test after that (or just not drive for more than that distance).